Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick Rabbit

• 14-03-2009 3:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

So my local Vet is open at 14:00 tomorrow but I thought I'd chance my arm that there's be a bunny person online between now and then that might reassure me that everything is OK.

I have a female, neutered, indoor bun that has been acting as though she's in pain. As opposed to being very social she's suddenly (within the last 24 hours) hiding behind her box and toys and being very introverted in the way that animals act whe they're in pain, and she looks a little bloated - although that could be due to her being careful with whatever part of her is hurting.

I'm terrified of getting really bad news from the Vet about a twisted bowl or something inoperable - is there someone out there that has a bunny that has some kind of digestive (lay person assumption of the problem) problems where they have just required a dose of something or other that will be sort it out over a few days??

Sorry about the monster post but I'm so worried about my little girl that I'm hoping someone out there can suggest an alternative simple illness that she might have that can be cured.

Oh yeah, we think she's about 4 years old (not certain because she's a rescue) if that helps.

Thanks all,

Dilly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Sadly, I don't think it's good news for your rabbit.

Rabbits usually don't show signs of being sick until they're very, very bad. It's a survival method so predators can't pick off the weakling.

Try and get her to eat and drink. Does she feel skinner than she was? Rabbits are very prone to GI and stomach problems which can't be detected until it's too late. Sadly, we lost one of our rabbits this way a couple of months ago.

I know you've probably gotten to the vet by now but for future readers, I'd suggest trying to get in contact with a local 24 hour vet service. Rabbits go downhill so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Only just seen this, any news on your bun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Dilly

Good news! It's nothing serious. The vet isn't sure what it is but her membranes are a bit pale so she's would seem to be fighting off an infection but it's nothing serious like VHD or mxy so I'm incredibly relieved. She got three injections including an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory and I have a course of futher antibiotics to give her over the coming days.

She's in better form - I managed to get her to eat a good bit over the night
    (mum and Daisy had a sleepover in the sitting room so as not to keep the boys up!) and although she is behaving as if she's still sore her system is still in motion (with good consistency poo for those that are interested ;) )

Fingers crossed that it's just a bug that will run its course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Thrilled I was wrong! :D

Thanks for the update. Nothing worse than seeing an animal sick and not being able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Dilly

What you posted was really important - it IS crucial to get a bun help as soon as possible....although I have to say that I'm delighted you were wrong too ;)

I'll give an update tomorrow on how we are getting on with the antibiotics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement