Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Secret of Kells

Options
  • 14-03-2009 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I've just been to see the amazing and talented animation The Secret of Kells which launched last week in Ireland. I could'nt reccommend it more and was really surprised when I went to the cinema that there wasn't more people at it? What's going on...

This movie is Irelands first animated film and one of the most beautiful and commercially appealing animated films I've seen in ages. There was some talk in the papers last week about it but overall I'm noticing a total lack of interest or support. I guess when you don't have one of those Assets models looking stupid with their legs wrapped around the directors in the papers you just don't get a look in with irish media.

This movie is a must see for adults and children, get down to your cinema and if they don't have it ask them why not!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

As someone who worked on the film I of course want to see it do well but it isn't an anime film so this might not be the best forum. I've been pimping the film in the film forum, might be a better place to post about it. Try writing a review for the film review forum, I was going to do one but mine would be to biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

I would like to see that film. By the way it's not Ireland's first animated film ;) don't forget Tom Blunt who did "All Dogs Go To heaven" and "An American Tale". Those films were amazing.

I would like to see that film. By the way it's not Ireland's first animated film ;) don't forget Tom Blunt who did "All Dogs Go To heaven" and "An American Tale". Those films were amazing.

I think they meant it was one of the first animated films to be developed and produced here. The Don Bluth films were American made films that were simply animated here, once animated everything would have been shipped back to the states for post [a number of ex-bluth animators worked on the clean up on the Secret of Kells]. The Secret of Kells also is based off Irish art and design and even features some spoken Irish unlike what the Sullivan/Bluth studios made. The Secret of Kells though is not the first irish animated feature, Terraglyph an animation studio in Dublin had an animated feature film 99% finished but funding fell through and it never saw a cinema release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sgsavvy

could you tell us a little bit more on this film?clear.gif

sgsavvy wrote: »
    could you tell us a little bit more on this film?clear.gif

The Secret of Kells is the first animated feature to come from the Cartoon Saloon animation studio in Kilkenny. It tells the story of a young boy named Brendan living in Kells at the time when the Book of Kells was being made. Without giving away the story it features Vikings, Pagan gods, forest fairies and some really stunning visuals. The style is very much in keeping the with the book of Kells and early celtic christain art with the majority of the animation being drawn by hand. The music for the film is from silgo trad ban Kila.

Trailer

This scene has is from the french language version as the film had funding from a french production company and was released in france under the titles "Brendan and the secret of kells"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I must say, the animation for this film looks fantastic.

Now that it has been brought to my attention, I must watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Saw it last week, was very impressed with it. Well told story and captivating imagery. The music in the film really added to the overall atmosphere. Was most impressed by the voice acting of the kids in the two lead roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

ztoical wrote: »
    I think they meant it was one of the first animated films to be developed and produced here. The Don Bluth films were American made films that were simply animated here, once animated everything would have been shipped back to the states for post [a number of ex-bluth animators worked on the clean up on the Secret of Kells]. The Secret of Kells also is based off Irish art and design and even features some spoken Irish unlike what the Sullivan/Bluth studios made. The Secret of Kells though is not the first irish animated feature, Terraglyph an animation studio in Dublin had an animated feature film 99% finished but funding fell through and it never saw a cinema release.

Oh right I understand. Just saw the trailers and really want to see it. The animation is really impressive, it is hard to believe it's Irish made, it's that good looking.

Advertisement