Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Idea of TAX on TXT messages

• 14-03-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

What are peoples thoughts on this one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I think its a good idea, as unlike paye or vat. its a tax we'll hardly notice.

There seems to be a few against it all towing the line:" I didn't cause this mess so why should I have to suffer".. Regardless of who caused this mess, we're all in it, so grab a shovel and start helping to dig us all out(metaphorically).

I think it's a good idea once the money it generates is put to good use, ie invest it into communications / broadband infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

taxing children's use of their phones is not very smart but then what have the green party come up with that was any real use? without getting too political they want to tax people that have no say in what happens to them. it is not like children that often send thousands of texts per month can vote these clowns out of government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Taxes on anything seem like a rip-off until you're used to them. This is a good way to make money, the only problem is that they will never withdraw the tax in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

I agree with it. We'd hardly notice a 1 cent tax on texts, it's a fairly decent idea for raising government money imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

foggy_lad wrote: »
    taxing children's use of their phones is not very smart but then what have the green party come up with that was any real use? without getting too political they want to tax people that have no say in what happens to them. it is not like children that often send thousands of texts per month can vote these clowns out of government.
    1. Nobody mentioned children.

2. Children already pay taxes.

3. If it's going to have such a terrible affect on erm, children's incomes, then fair f**ks to the government. Children might start getting out of the house, walking and meeting each other instead of texting each other while lying on the couch watching ****e US soaps. Rant over.

Great idea.

I agree with it. We'd hardly notice a 1 cent tax on texts, it's a fairly decent idea for raising government money imo

It costs me €20 a month to have up to 5000 texts to any network.

A tax of 1c per text would leave me spending at least €1/2 a day. my €20 a month becomes €20 + €30/€70 a month..

I would quickly find some way to communicate for cheaper with my friends instead of this. I.e the taxes would not be collected as it would influence me to not send the text message.

This is the problem with Taxes, you have to realise that you can only raise a tax enough so that it becomes worthwhile to collect it without damaging the "sales" of texts so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Not a good idea IMO, what about free webtexts that most networks offer? I send nearly half of my texts this way (cos i'd usually be close the the computer and I try to conserve credit for as long as possible -broke student! :o)
    What about those text bundles that people buy? are they to be taxed too? because then it hardly becomes worthwhile to buy them. Most people on Bill Pay often get a serious discount, and i think my own father gets about 200 free texts a month from Vodafone! A "Text Tax" (try say it 10 times fast!) would lead to a huge upsurge in the amount of people Skyping and sending Emails.. Probably defeating the point and just making people and young people to dislike the Government even more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

I don't think it's a good idea, I pay enough tax as it is.
    What next, they'll charge you for breathing?
    They can go a F off the cnuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

good idea imo, best to have tax on optional expenses rather than tax on our wages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

True, luxury tax is better than have a bigger hit on our wages. We pay huge tax on cigarettes and booze but who cares we have the choice not to buy them.

Personally I agree with the tax, I dont see how children are getting a hit here seeing as its the parents who buy the credit for them. I think it may give the parents a kick up the ass and not buy as much credit for the kids. Kids are too spoilt and I hope from the Recession it will at least change our society for the good.

good idea imo, best to have tax on optional expenses rather than tax on our wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    We pay huge tax on cigarettes and booze but who cares we have the choice not to buy them.
    Who cares? have you not seen the millions of threads about expensive pubs! They are taxed drugs, with some of the reasoning to dissuade people from using them.

Why single out texting? many people texting use it as a cheaper option than phoning, it would make more sense to tax phonecalls by the minute, as richer people would probably phone instead. I don't get why you would tax communication like that, what about (additional) taxes on email, stamps, envelopes, post-it notes, talking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

rubadub wrote: »
    Who cares? have you not seen the millions of threads about expensive pubs! They are taxed drugs, with some of the reasoning to dissuade people from using them.

Mate you have the choice to drink or smoke. I'd rather high tax on those luxury goods rather than a higher rate of income tax.

Advertisement