Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho to Real Madrid?

• 14-03-2009 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

Mourinho's quitting Inter - but Jose will snub English return in favour of Real Madrid job

Jose Mourinho wants to take over at Real Madrid after deciding to quit Inter Milan at the end of the season.

Sources in Italy have told London's Evening Standard - the Daily Mail's sister paper - that the 46-year-old does not believe the time is right for a return to English football and will reject any approach from Chelsea or Manchester City. However, it is he would eventually like to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

Relations between Mourinho and the Inter board have become strained as the club's hierarchy demand instant success in Europe.

No respect: Jose Mourinho is said to have fallen out of love with Inter Milan

The situation will have intensified after Inter were knocked out by United after a 2-0 defeat at Old Trafford in the second leg of their Champions League last-16 clash.

The Portuguese has also had an ongoing battle with the Italian media ever since taking charge at the San Siro last summer and feels he will have nothing left to prove should his team win the League, regardless of their exit in Europe.

Mourinho also faces being interviewed by Greater Manchester Police after they received a complaint from a fan who claimed he had been punched by the coach as he was standing by the Inter team bus outside Old Trafford, although the club insist nothing untoward happened.

Although City are likely to offer Mourinho a fortune in salary and transfer funds should Mark Hughes depart in the summer, the Portuguese has now set his sights on a return to Spain as he looks to continue to build a successful career in a variety of countries.

Chelsea insist Russia coach Guus Hiddink is only in temporary charge until the end of the season and a significant section of the Blues faithful would want their former boss back in charge.

Mourinho won four League titles, a Champions League and a UEFA Cup in his time with Porto and Chelsea, who sacked him in September 2007 amid rumours of a falling out with owner Roman Abramovich.

His Inter side are currently seven points ahead of Juventus in Serie A. A source said: 'It is not about money with Mourinho - Chelsea made him a very rich man when they sacked him.

'He wants titles and does not think he should be undermined by the board as could happen in Italy. Despite his links with Barcelona, he would have no problem taking over at Madrid.'

Mourinho worked under Bobby Robson at a variety of clubs during the 1990s including Barcelona, where he earned the nickname 'The Translator' before embarking on a coaching career.

It is thought Mourinho's ideal return to England would be to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at United.....

I had seen him leaving Inter next year, as i have said, i personally feel they have gone backwards under him and would not be confident of them winning the title next season with him in charge when the league will actually be competitive for the first time in 5 years!

i was hoping he would stay around (and maybe he will) as i think the aura around him would take a sharp hit, its only a shame to me that the media arent covering Serie A as closely anymore

He was brought in to make the team more attractive to watch and he hasnt done that. Madrid seems like an obvious destination for him in a certain way

But they wont tolerate his style of football too long!

EDIT: nothing conrete in this report obviously! but its been rumoured in Italy for a little while that he wont hang around after the league is sown up, with Manchester City and Madrid being widely touted as his next destinations along with Manchester United! the speculation over there is that if Fergie does a clean sweeo this year he will retire on that high and United will approach Jose then, not out of the question i guess, but highly unlikely

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

When he wins the euromillions next month hes going to buy Chelsea and takeover there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Real Madrid will almost certainly be taken over again by Florentino Perez this summer, that means if not galactico football, there'll certainly be a quest for pure attacking football, and the players that go with that.

I don't see them picking up Mourinho for that reason.

Ancelotti might wander over, because Zidane's meant to be coming into the setup with Perez, and Ancelotti's a close mutual friend. Football Weekly mentioned that delightful rumour. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

He won't be joining Real Madrid. He has fallen out of favour with Perez.

Perez will introduce one or two Galacticos into a squad that is already solid with good players. Then his number 1 goal will be to win Real Madrid their 10th European Cup, and next season he'll REALLY try to do that considering the final will be at the Bernabeu. So realistically, it looks like Perez will be running alone for the presidency this summer, considering all his opposition wont be running due to the possibility of a landslide loss.

Perez views Mourinho as a failure on the CL stage, considering how he never made the final with Chelsea and now has been thoroughly dispatched by United. The Porto win has been seen more like a fluke in the eyes of Florentino, so considering his failings in the CL, and Perez need to win Madrid their 10th, I seriously doubt he'd be chosen.

And even fans that are against Perez are starting to realise that the things he can offer the club are things they require. So the chances are Florooo will be at the helm of Madrid next season, and if that's the case, Jose will now.

A quote from a huge Madridista that I know;

"well we need a strong man.. and before that we need a stable admin.. Perez fit the criteria ..

we lost plenty of friends in the last couple of years as in other clubs.. Perez can build from here well.. he has a foundation of non-galacticos who are in desperate need of 2 galacticos to take the project further
    u know how much i hate the fu*ker.. but we do need his touch now"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Is Perez that much of a dead cert for the presidency Eze??

God i hate that guy

Anyway, yeah i would agree that Mourinho and Madrid is not a match made in heaven unless he was to change his philosophy, and since his ego probably wont aloow that then i dont see it happening either, the one that stuck out a little to me was Man City, but i think he would turn them down because it would probably ruin his chances of managing the biggest club in the world in the future......

Ancelotti would be interesting to me to see at Madrid, i really dont have a clue as to whether i think its more likely he would succeed or fail!

Didnt hear that Zidane was supposed to be coming back in some manner with Perez, is that one of his election gimmicks?

EDIT: Ancelotti at least has good form Europe and Continental competitions winning the Champions League twice,the super Cup twice, and the CWC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

kryogen wrote: »
    Is Perez that much of a dead cert for the presidency Eze??

God i hate that guy

Didnt hear that Zidane was supposed to be coming back in some manner with Perez, is that one of his election gimmicks?

EDIT: Ancelotti at least has good form Europe and Continental competitions winning the Champions League twice,the super Cup twice, and the CWC

Ancelotti would be a good acquisition for Perez because of his pedigree in the European competitions, and that's what Florentino wants.

It's almost a certainty that Perez will be president. The other big candidate would be Torres, who doesn't have enough funds to start a good enough campaign. And considering the majority of Socio's (the members of the public that own Madrid) / Press/ Fans are all backing Perez, not many of his rivals would be willing to run against him because they'd risk losing by a massive landslide, which would be really bad for their public image, and destroy any chance of being a president in the future.

Also, the only president who has the power to retire both Raul and Guti is Perez, he's the only one who is respected enough for the public not to get angry at. So in ways he may be good for the club, people only remember the Galactico signings, and all the money he 'wasted' on them, but we forget how smart he is. He used those players imaging rights and commercial appeal to recoup all those loses and make massive profits. He'll do the same (rumours are he may get the club to move to Nike, giving them viable ways of getting a Ronaldo and Aguero), he's the kind of president who will deliver on his promises, if he says he'll get Kaka, C. Ronaldo, and Cesc I'd believe him. Something which Calderon couldn't do, after promising Robben, Villa, Cesc, Kaka, and C. Ronaldo.

Edit - Oh and on the Zidane thing, he has been linked with he club many a times over the past season or two. He may be given a role, but don't expect it to be a very major one until he proves his ability as a midfield coach or something...

• Advertisement

I always thought Perez was a very good business man, i just hated him! one he Madrid, and two, well, he was Madrid

Wasnt it around the time he was last in office that there was talk of Raul moving on? Cant remember the exact timeline but i remember a time when he wasnt doing it on the field anymore and the fans were turning on him, amazingly.....

He had a massive clear out at Madrid before and i guess i wouldnt be surprised to see another one if he came back again, which would mean some players i admire, like VDV could be available at a good price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Mourinho - Real Madrid is highly unlikely. Real supporters demand flair and panache, attacking exceiting football and Mourinho brings the total opposite. If he went he could be nothing more than a temporary fix much like Rafa Benitez. Ancellotti, Wenger would be much more suitable candidates although I could never see Wenger leaving Arsenal. Yesterdays press has a 17 player clear out just like when Perez took over the first time when he cleared out the squad. This is the same reason the Barca board discussed the possibility of Mourinho during the summer and voted against him as his type of football and attitude is just wrong for the club. The same is true of Man Utd also who have Sir Bobby Charlton on record as saying he couldnt ever see Mourinho managing United with his type of football as its just not the Man Utd way. Perez is the only candidate and a shoe in according to the press even though hi hasnt even decidied to run yet !

eagle eye wrote: »
    Does not compute.

read it again then, he makes perfect sense!

haha i got in before your crafty deletion my friend :)

although nobody willnow what im on about :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Does not compute.

There was a discussion on here about 2-3 days ago about Rafa Benitez taking over Real Madrid were the same stuff was said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I read it incorrectly, apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was just thinking there that if Zidane is part of the new package then Deschamps might be looked at. He would certainly fit the bill imo.

I was just thinking there that if Zidane is part of the new package then Deschamps might be looked at. He would certainly fit the bill imo.

is he a big enough name, though, to capture the imagination of the Madrid fans?

I was never overly impressed with him as a player, but he doesnt have a bad management record i guess

Advertisement