Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does your corner really matter between rounds ?

Options
  • 14-03-2009 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

Going from my own experiences ( and I'm not going to classify any of you down at my level :o ) but anyway -
    ( A ) Does anyone really listen to what your corner has to say between rounds ?
    ( B ) Does what your corner have to say have any real impact ? ( e.g. if a fella shows has better BJJ than you it's a bit late in the day to start telling you " be careful of his jits on the ground " :D or if he has a faster punch then telling you at the end of round one " be wary of his punches " or " try and beat him to the first punch " etc and so on
    ( C ) Has anyone, whether it be MMA, boxing, Karate, Judo etc have had some insight passed on to them by their coach to help/turn the contest in between rounds ? Or are we just so hyped up that we say, " Yeh...... yes..... yep " and go out carrying on instinctively regardless ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Sometimes its just a matter of been told to keep the chin up if your behind, or spot a weakness in an opponent-you should certainly listen to your corner as they have abetter view than you, they can see you and your opponent..

I'm talking from both Boxing and MMA experience, it helps..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Your corner can see things during the round that you cant, so they can tell you about openings and faults during the break. Whether the fighter can capitalize on it? That's what separates the great fighter from the mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

They can also touch you up with vasaline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭O'Leprosy

_oveless wrote: »
    Your corner can see things during the round that you cant, so they can tell you about openings and faults during the break. Whether the fighter can capitalize on it? That's what separates the great fighter from the mediocre.
    Agree with both of you, but when your gasping for air, asking yourself how the hell did you get into this mess and why do you even do it !!!! your ability to take in what your been told and act on it is another matter altogether !!! But as you say _oveless, been able to capitalize on it is what seperates the great fighter from the mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

O'Leprosy wrote: »
    Going from my own experiences ( and I'm not going to classify any of you down at my level :o ) but anyway -
    ( A ) Does anyone really listen to what your corner has to say between rounds ?
    ( B ) Does what your corner have to say have any real impact ? ( e.g. if a fella shows has better BJJ than you it's a bit late in the day to start telling you " be careful of his jits on the ground " :D or if he has a faster punch then telling you at the end of round one " be wary of his punches " or " try and beat him to the first punch " etc and so on
    ( C ) Has anyone, whether it be MMA, boxing, Karate, Judo etc have had some insight passed on to them by their coach to help/turn the contest in between rounds ? Or are we just so hyped up that we say, " Yeh...... yes..... yep " and go out carrying on instinctively regardless ?

A) Yes. Only a fool ignores advice form someone with a birds eye view of the contest
    B) Yes. Adjustments in tactics, small or large help significantly.
    C) Yes. TKD it has happened many times and a couple of times in MMA

More than in between rounds your corner helps you during the rounds far more, as Paul said simple things like keeping your chin down and hands up when you get tired and don't notice yourself doing it. Or when things are going well "Watch out, here comes a big bridge" has kept many of my fighters on top longer than they might necessarily have been.

Its a fair comment that many fighters can't take the advice in, but experience is the great teacher here. More experienced fighters can hear their coaches voice regardless what's happening in the ring at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Having a good corner man is essential.
    Its not only his/her job to see the things the fighter might miss but they only have 60 seconds to relax the fighter and direct him/her in any changes of tactics between rounds.
    There also needs to be a good relationship between fighter and cornerman. The fighter must respect the cornermans views.
    I also dont think that anyone can do this job. You have to know how to speak to the fighter using positive language as opposed to negative language. I belive that a team that can steady the fighter and keep him/her thinking positive during a hard fight has more chance of a victory than the team that meerly shouts loudest.

Advertisement