Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 greatest games I ever watched

• 14-03-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Prompted by Alonso on Soccer AM.

10. Spurs 4-4 Aston Villa 2007 PL

Everybody loves a comeback, right? Being a Spurs fan I've seen my fair share, and been on the receiving end of a few as well (4-3 to City :(). Some people might expect me to favour the comeback from 4-2 down at The Emirates this season, but for me to comeback from 4-1 down with 30 minutes to go when we should have been celebrating 125 years of the club was extra special. I was at the game, when the 4th went in I turned to look over my right shoulder to see the seats of a few mates were empty, then looked won to my left to see another few mates walking down the steps. "Fcuk it" I thought, "I'll stay an boo the cnuts off the pitch". Even at 4-3 I never thought we'd complete the escape, and then KABOOM!!!

9. Barcelona 3-2 Valencia 2001 La Liga

People refer to Liam Brady's penalty for Juve against Catanzaro to win the 1982 Scudetto when he knew his time at the club would come to an end that summer, this game for Barca where Rivaldo scored a superb hat-trick on the last day of the season to secure 4th place for Barca and CL football in his last game for the club is the closest I've witnessed. The winning goal was a stunning overhead kick from the edge of the box on 89 minutes to snatch 4th place from Valencia.

8. France 2-1 Italy 2000 European Championship Final

A golden goal is a horrible way to win a game let alone a tournament, but this was a truly intriguing contest in what was the best tournament in the last 20 years.

7. Man Utd 2-1 Bayern Munich 1999 CL Final

I'd spent the entire CL campaign cheering on every team United came up against that season, I was living in Shannon at the time and had fcuk all else to do of a midweek other than invite the lads around to watch whatever game was on and have a few cans. Plenty of United fans so had to wind them up, plus I always had Juve as my Italian team, but after Keane's performance in Turin I reckoned they deserved a shot at the trophy. By the time Ole's goal went in I was leaping around the room like I'd been a Manc all my life...:D

6. Ireland 1-0 Italy 1994 World Cup

Who was the Italian rumoured to have asked on entering the field at Giant's Stadium "where are our fans"? Paul McGrath was immense that day, I don't think I ever saw him play a better game in an Ireland shirt.

5. Shelbourne 3-5 Rangers 1998 Uefa Cup

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/1998/07/23/phead.htm

Originally supposed to take place at Tolka Park but moved to Tranmere's ground for security reasons. I'd tickets for the original fixture, but couldn't get off work to make the trip over. Still, 3-0 up after 50 odd minutes and Dick Advocaat must have been wondering what the hell he'd let himself in for.

4. Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle 1996 PL

Worth it for Kevin Keegan slumped behind the advertising hoarding at Anfield. Not the finest football you will ever see, but enthralling as only the PL can be. There's not a Liverpool fan who was in Anfield that night would swap the feeling they got when Collymore scored the 4th for a calm assured win.

3. Ireland 0-0 Romania 1990 World Cup

I spent the summer of 1990 trying (and failing :o) to get my hole, but I was at home with my aul fella for this game, with my aul one up stairs above us getting some sleep as she was on nights. Imagine trying to celebrate O'Leary's peno without waking her up! Every time I see the aul fella crying on that video I well up myself. Ireland was a really sh1t place to live for most of my childhood/early teens, but that summer was magic (except for the no hole :D)

2. AC Milan 4-0 Barcelona 1994 CL Final

I really wanted Barca to win that final, but they were played off the park by one of the most complete performances I've seen in European football. Milan were simply unstoppable.

1. Liverpool 3-3 AC Milan 2005 CL Final

Everybody loves a comeback, right? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Well Man Utd v Liverpool March 14th 2009 sure isnt one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barca vs Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey when we won 5-4 thanks to a Ronaldo hat-trick would be up there for me. As well as the Valencia game you mentioned, the 3-3 with Madrid, and the 3-0 when Ronaldinho got the standing ovation. Argentina's 6-0 win over Serbia is a benchmark for how attacking possession football should be played also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't know what age you are tro but I thought this was a certainty to make your list on so many levels. It was a great game and of course there was that goal. Enjoy, I know you will.

Best game of football I have watched this season would have been Real Madrid 3-4 Sevilla in december.

Atletico - Villareal was better, 4-4. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Definitely the Liverpool Newcastle game, watching it live was unbelievable, seeing all the highlights now don't do it any sort of justice.

Spurs 4 - Chelsea 4 from last season.

What about an often forgotten game, Newcastle 4 Villa 3 from 1996 - 1997 season - Dwight Yorke hat trick, awesome game.

Man U v Bayern in 1999.

Everton 2 Villa 3 from this season.

Villa 3 Liverpool 3 in Carling Cup in 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

redout wrote: »
    Well Man Utd v Liverpool March 14th 2009 sure isnt one of them.

Dunno, I thought it was quite good!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't know what age you are tro but I thought this was a certainty to make your list on so many levels. It was a great game and of course there was that goal. Enjoy, I know you will.

Momentary joy, but doesn't linger long enough for me. Was nice that Nayim got the winner though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I've a terrible memory for these types of things, but here goes an attempt:
    • Spurs 4-4 Chelsea, last season
    • Man Utd 2-1 Bayern Munich, '99 Champions League final
    • Man Utd 3-3 Barcelona (both games) 1998/99 Champions League
    • Ireland 1-0 Holland, 2002 WC Qualifier
    • Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle
    • Man Utd 3-4 Real Madrid
    • Man Utd 2-1 Arsenal FA Cup Semi Final '99
    • England 2-2 Argentina

Take your pick from last year's Euros. I could say Ireland-Italy in 1994, since I vaguely remember watching it. But being 7 at the time I'm not sure how much I took it.

The best PL game I've seen over the past 5 years was probably Spurs vs West Ham. When Spurs won in the last like 5 minutes in a 4-3 thriller that ALMOST relegated West Ham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

The Toon, in our pomp, was an incredible spectacle. I still get goosebumps when Martin Tyler is commentating on Albert's goal.

We've paid for that result though, with interest, with so many drubbings from them over the years. :mad:

Charlie wrote: »
    The Toon, in our pomp, was an incredible spectacle. I still get goosebumps when Martin Tyler is commentating on Albert's goal.

We've paid for that result though, with interest, with so many drubbings from them over the years. :mad:

Was only thinking of that game during the Utd/Liverpool game earlier, that was a cracking performance by the Barcodes that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Arsenal 2 - 4 Man Utd was the best game of football Ive ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

January, 1994. Manchester United 3-3 Liverpool.

Fantastic game, was only 10 at the time but it's a vivid memory. That Denis Irwin free kick really sticks in the mind. 3-0 to United at half time and a 3-3 at full time, great game.

Another game that sticks out for me is a 1994 FA cup Quarter Final, I think, United v. Oldham. Mark Hughes scored a fantastic volley in the last few minutes to send it to a replay.

Was only thinking of that game during the Utd/Liverpool game earlier, that was a cracking performance by the Barcodes that day.

Aye. A different era though now unfortantley. It's shocking to see how the plight we have been reduced to compared to those hedonistic days. But then, i'm sure there are alot of Forest and Leeds fans who feel the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

off the top of my head

Romania 3 Argentina 2 WC94 - I wanted to cry at the end, for Argentina and for Maradona, but I wasalso happy for my newly adopted Romanian cousins
    Toon 3 West Ham 0 95/96 -just after we battered Man Utd and lost 0-1, we battered West Ham and played our best game of an unbelievable season
    Toon 4 Villa 3 96/97 - the fruition of Ferdinand and Shearer, even Dwight's brilliant hat-trick couldn't stop us
    Toon 5 Man Utd 0 96/97 - this is what should have happened in the previous season's corresponding fixture, this time our forwards brought their finishing boots and not even the great Dane could save the champions
    Toon 3 Barcelona 2 CL 96/97 - if only Asprilla and Gillespie had played like that more often. A magical night, our fist ever in the CL, and a rare Keegan-esque performance under Dalglish
    Nigeria 4 Brazil 3 Atlanta 96 - Ronaldo and Bebeto were lighting up the tournament, and destroying Nigeria, but a miracle from Kanu turned the game on it's head
    Italy 3 Brazil 3 Le Tournoi 97 - a mesmerising attacking display from Ronaldo, Denilson and Romario to come from 3-1 down against one of the best defenses in world football
    Spain 4 Yugoslavia 3 EC00 - one of the most amazing comebacks ever with some ridiculously good goals
    Man Utd 2 Real Madrid 3 CL 99/00 - a masterclass from Redondo and Raul had Man Utd trailing 3-0 at home, against all odds
    Man Utd 4 Real Madrid 3 CL 02/03 - just a crazy goalfest, had the game lasted another 10 mins you'd have fancied the Reds to get the two goals they needed
    Barcelona Atl. Madrid - take your pick from almost any of the last 15 years
    Liverpool 3 Milan 3 CL 04/05 - simply the greatest, most magical comeback ever

too hard to limit them to 10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

that 4 - 1 wasnt bad today eh? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

10. Spurs 4-4 Aston Villa 2007 PL

suprised you didn't choose the 4-4 vs chelsea instead thought it was a better game and should've been 5-4 if it wasn't for that miracle save by cech from berb

and in the villa game kaboul was offside!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Best game I was ever at - Bohemians 4 - 6 Shelbourne, Dalymount Park, 05/10/2001

Best game I ever saw - Manchester City 2 - 2 Gilllingham (City won on penos, Wembley Stadium, Division 2 Playoff Final 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Czech Republic and Holland had two cracking games in Euro 2004, as good as any game I've seen...

...with the exception of the Istanbul final!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Spain 4 - 3 Yugoslavia (or whatever they were called back then) Euro 2000, last group game, which sometimes are a formality, not this one though.

I remember Savo Missalot-ovic gettin one for the slavs after a howler by the keeper, but the rest is just a blur of goals and dodgy defending. Spain scored 2 goals in stoppage time to go through.

Spain 4 - 3 Yugoslavia (or whatever they were called back then) Euro 2000, last group game, which sometimes are a formality, not this one though.

I remember Savo Missalot-ovic gettin one for the slavs after a howler by the keeper, but the rest is just a blur of goals and dodgy defending. Spain scored 2 goals in stoppage time to go through.

Three words - Alfonso Munoz Perez. Leg-end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

liverpool 5-0 nottingham forest
    87 cup final spurs/coventry
    liverpool 4-3 newcastle(the first one)
    newcastle 5-0 utd
    portsmouth 0-4 arsenal fa cup (awsome performance from arsenal)
    argentina 2-1 england (two amazing goals)
    ireland 1-1 spain world cup
    liverpool 3-3 milan (incredible stuff)
    arsenal/utd semi final fa cup 1999
    liverpool/west ham cup final 2006(more twist and turns than a mills and boon book)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

yeah the man utd/liverpool game in jan 1994 was unreal

liverpool/alves 5-4 uefa cup final 2001 was just insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I enjoyed 2 seasons ago when Everton went 2-0 up at home and we came back to win it. Same for when Spurs where 3-0 up at half time. I do love a good comeback

Pool utd 3-3 mid 90's
    pool-everton fa cup finals 86,89
    pool-newcastle both 4-3 matches
    united-pool today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Good choice for Barcelona 3-2 Valencia, therecklessone. I think that you have all forgotten, however, that the famous Newcastle-Liverpool '4-3' game happened twice, one season after the next! Poor ol' Keegan was shattered each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Couple that haven't been mentioned:

- Holland vs The Czech Republic Euro 2004: A game that ebbed and flowed from end to end with plenty of good goals, great saves and clever football.

_44705651_baros512x288.jpg20pic1.jpg

- Liverpool vs Alaves 2001 UEFA Cup Final: Another of the great finals, and definitely another game that was lacking in quality. It would have taken some manner of seeing eye dog to foresee the drama that lay ahead as Liverpool took a comfortable 3 - 1 lead into the break, but the second half remains one of the more epic 45 minute periods of football you'll see. Tons, just tons of incident right the way up to the winning Golden Goal.

268474_mediumsquare.jpg

Kevster wrote: »
    Good choice for Barcelona 3-2 Valencia, therecklessone. I think that you have all forgotten, however, that the famous Newcastle-Liverpool '4-3' game happened twice, one season after the next! Poor ol' Keegan was shattered each time.

Keegan was gone by th second time. That result was under Daglish's tenure.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

- Holland vs The Czech Republic Euro 2004: A game that ebbed and flowed from end to end with plenty of good goals, great saves and clever football.

-

Get the spectacles out brother. Already mentioned earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

How many crackers did Euro 08 have. The Dutch steamrolling France and Italy, the Turk comeback kings. I think for jaw dropping shock it had to be Croatia vs Turkey, the Croats were litreally shaking as they went for the penos they so couldnt believe what happened.

2005 CL, Ireland v Germany 02, WC Final 1998, a few others....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

That Ireland Romania match in 1990 was worse than the Egypt game.:eek:

Everton 4-4 Liverpool Dalglish's last game.

Liverpool 5-0 Nottingham Forest

Shamrock Rovers 4-6 Someone. I was there, but forget the details. I do remember not believing what I was seeing.

Shelbourne 4-6 Shamrock Rovers. I have a better memory of this one..

Barcelona 3-2 Valencia.

Liverpool 7-0 Tottingham

Ireland 1-0 Netherlands I. Was. There.

Deportivo La Coruna 4-0 AC Milan

France 3-3 Germany 1982 The Schumacher Semi-final

Bohemians 0-2 Shamrock Rovers A statement of intent bigger than words..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

someone said Bohs 4-6 Shels on the previous page. A scoreline doens't make a game, that' wasn't any great shakes at all. There was basically zero tension involved.

podge018 wrote: »
    someone said Bohs 4-6 Shels on the previous page. A scoreline doens't make a game, that' wasn't any great shakes at all. There was basically zero tension involved.

I said that game. Shels were 4-1 down for feck sake! There doesn't have to be tension to make a great game, but to say there's none when two rival teams are playing each other is bit off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

eZe^ wrote: »
    The best PL game I've seen over the past 5 years was probably Spurs vs West Ham. When Spurs won in the last like 5 minutes in a 4-3 thriller that ALMOST relegated West Ham.

This one for me. I was knackered after a late Saturday night and watched the first half, with us 2 - 0 down having had a host of early chances. I couldn't believe what happened in the second half though, and to score the winner in the 95th minute - what a match. I have the whole thing saved on my hard drive for whenever I want a bit of a smile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

January 2nd 1988

Division 2

Leicester City 4-4 Crystal Palace

RTE were supposed to show Derby v Liverpool but that was snowed off so they served up this classic instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I said that game. Shels were 4-1 down for feck sake! There doesn't have to be tension to make a great game, but to say there's none when two rival teams are playing each other is bit off.

no they were not 4-1 down you looney.

podge018 wrote: »
    no they were not 4-1 down you looney.

I'll kindly ask you to not resort to the personal abuse.

Refresh my memory so. I sat in the shed amongst the Bohs fans with my Shels jersey and had a great time. Brad Jones, the Middlesbrough keeper, was in nets for us and looked awful. Davy Byrne stuck in the 6th in the last minute to clinch the comeback win and myself and my mate made a hasty exit giving two fingered gestures back to the home support.

What's not great about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

That is one of my favourites of all time. It was absolutely brilliant.
    shane86 wrote: »
    How many crackers did Euro 08 have. The Dutch steamrolling France and Italy, the Turk comeback kings. I think for jaw dropping shock it had to be Croatia vs Turkey, the Croats were litreally shaking as they went for the penos they so couldnt believe what happened.

Anything with Turkey, Holland or Russia in it was basically a quality game.
    Russia v the Netherlands in the Quarter Final was fantastic.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Refresh my memory so. I sat in the shed amongst the Bohs fans with my Shels jersey and had a great time. Brad Jones, the Middlesbrough keeper, was in nets for us and looked awful. Davy Byrne stuck in the 6th in the last minute to clinch the comeback win and myself and my mate made a hasty exit giving two fingered gestures back to the home support.

What's not great about that?

Unless you're talking about a different game Xavi:

http://www.soccerbot.com/fai/results/irprem02x.htm?Team=Shelbourne
    05/10/101 19:45 Bohemians 4 6 Shelbourne

Glen Crowe (34,67)
    Dave Morrisson (44)
    Gary O Neill (52)

Pat Fenlon (9)
    Ritchie Baker (10)
    Stephen Geoghegan (12)
    Jim Gannon (35)
    Davy Byrne (68)
    Jim Crawford (90)

Dalymount Park

:confused:

• Advertisement

Ahhhhh my bad, that be her. I mixed it up with regards to us being so far down. Twas nearly 8 years ago in my defence :o

The game was still epic and my favourite.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Man Utd 2 Liverpool 1 FA Cup Rd 4 1999
    Owen gave Liverpool an early lead and they held on until the 90th minute but United came back to score 2 late late goals to win it.
    (Thinking about that game is cheering me up slightly after Saturday):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

+1 for the Ireland and Holland game.

Also two England -Argentina WC games - 1986 and 1998.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Recently...

Man United 1 - 4 Liverpool :D

It just feels so good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pats vs Bohs in 2003ish 4-3 they were clearly better than us in every area, we just wanted it more.

Pats vs Elfsborg in dublin last year. No game ever will compare to that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SooX7pGBktI the roar when quigley rounds the keeper from about 2500ish fans is the stuff goosebumps are made off.

i hate lists i get stuck then keep editing and changing so im going with a top 2 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

joe123 wrote: »
    Recently...

Man United 1 - 4 Liverpool :D

It just feels so good!

You have to let it go. Nobody really cares at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

England - Argentina 98 was a cracker, most Man U - Arsenal games during the 90s and thereafter were memorable, that 4-2 one at Higbury where O'Shea scored a deft lob sticks out. And Euro 2008 served up some great encounters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

From a neutral perspective, I've got to go with internationals - just more exciting.

Anyway, it seems to me that in every international tournament there's one game that 'should have been the final'.

So, here's my three favourite 'should have been the final' games:

Italy Germany '06. The highlights don't really do it justice - it was all about the pace the game was played at. The extra time alone was far superior to many of the games that have been mentioned in this thread.

Holland Czech '04. Great attacking, poor defences, two goals down, win 3-2 = stunning game

Italy Brazil '82. The greatest team ever to play international football knocked out of the World Cup by a Paolo Rossi hat-trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Not including Blackburn and just English sides. Liverpool fans are going to love this I suppose.

5. This was not a Cup final but I will never forget this game on an ordinary Champions League night.

4. The 2001 Uefa Cup final.

3. The European Cup final 2005.

2. The FA Cup final 2006 stands out as one of the most memorable games in recent years to me. I still reckon that if someone could get Dean Ashton to remain fit that he is the best striker in the Premier League.

1. The backdrop to this made a must see game, coming shortly after the Hillsborough disaster. Not a great video but viewable. Rush was some legend in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

RichTea wrote: »
    Russia v the Netherlands in the Quarter Final was fantastic.

Horror show for me, I had 20 euro at 16-1 from the start for Holland to win the tournament :mad: :p Really thought they were going to do it after the jaw droppers vs France/ Italy and even a second string side taking Romania apart.

• Advertisement
Advertisement