Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 greatest games I ever watched

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

The greatest game I've ever seen which I'm not biased towards (in which case it would be 2005 CL final, 2006 FA Cup final, or last Saturday vs Man Utd) has to be from this season's UEFA Cup.

Portsmouth 2-2 AC Milan. Even before the goals, it was end to end, the atmosphere was electric. Great game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

eagle eye wrote: »
    5. This was not a Cup final but I will never forget this game on an ordinary Champions League night.

I forgot that match. I dislike Real Madrid as any other human being, but Ronaldo's finishing that night was immense. The movement in the build up for the second goal..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

dfx- wrote: »
    I forgot that match. I dislike Real Madrid as any other human being, but Ronaldo's finishing that night was immense. The movement in the build up for the second goal..
    Indeed. In the space of about nearly 2 mins the link up play between Zidane, Figo, McManaman, Guti, Carlos and finally Ronaldo had all the United players chasing shadows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I don't think the two 3-3 draws between Barca and Man Utd from 98/99 have been mentioned yet. Probably the two games of the season, along with that Arsenal FA Cup semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Great thread. For some reason this game came to mind:

Just thought it was a brilliant comeback by the Koreans facing such a strong Spanish side, with five minutes to go they looked dead and buried. They nearly did the same against Germany, losing 3-2 in the end. Watching back the video in fairness there was some brutal defending that lead to Goikoetxea's goal.

Why the person who posted the video used U2's One as the soundtrack is of course another matter entirely.

And while it's been mentioned several times, here's Jason McAteer's moment of magic against the Dutch - Soccer AM showed it in their preview of next Saturday's show, made the hairs on my back stand with excitement:

Another classic would have to be the 1998 Play-Off final between Charlton and Sunderland. Think Sunderland finished ahead of Charlton in the league that year and had been the better side on paper going into this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

dfx- wrote: »
    That Ireland Romania match in 1990 was worse than the Egypt game.:eek:

Everton 4-4 Liverpool Dalglish's last game.

<snip>

yeah that was an FA cup classic... being an everton fan, it was probably one of the most tense games ever!

Liverpool kept on going 1 goal up and everton kept equalising!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRP1DqdQz-g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Lookin thru all these mad scorelines, can anyone remember a 5-5 draw between Belguim and Holland in a friendly prior to them both hosting Euro 2000? It was either late 99 or early 2000.....no sign of it on youtube, I know it was only a friendly but 5-all FFS! Didnt see the game, just have a vague recollection of the score flashing up on Eurosport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Can't find a video of it, but I still maintain it's the most entertaining football match I've ever seen.

Chelsea v AC Milan, First Group Stage, September 15, 1999

It was a 0-0 draw, but it was end to end stuff and I was literally on the edge of my seat watching it and it's rare you get that when you're not a fan of either club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Great thread. For some reason this game came to mind:

Just thought it was a brilliant comeback by the Koreans facing such a strong Spanish side, with five minutes to go they looked dead and buried. They nearly did the same against Germany, losing 3-2 in the end. Watching back the video in fairness there was some brutal defending that lead to Goikoetxea's goal.

The video wasn't working for me, but I presume you're talking about the QF of the 2002 World Cup, otherwise known as the greatest act of footballing robbery ever seen. I'm sure it was entertaining, I don't actually remember it that well, but it will always be tainted by the shocking refereeing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Does anyone remember Holland V Czech Republic in the group stages of Euro 2004? Finished 3-2 to the Czechs. It was end to end stuff, a fantastic game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Prompted by Alonso on Soccer AM.

Everybody loves a comeback, right? :D

Hey Reckless you missed out Spurs 3 - Utd 5 in WHL in 2001. 3 - 0 down at half time and to come back and score 5 in the second half. Now that's a comeback. :cool: :p

Nice thread btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Istanbul then Genoa.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Just remembered another one thanks to that Champions League Weekly show

Real Madrid 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen at Hampden in 2002

Some great saves from Casillas/Cesar as Leverkusen pushed on for the equaliser after that goal from Zidane. Best European Cup final in aaages for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Bray 4 Pats 1.

May 2001. Easily the best Bray performance I ever saw. 1-0 down at half time, second half was an incredible comeback to beat them. If only Ollie Cahill hadn't scored at Tolka that day, we would have made the Intertoto.

Remember watching a Bohs Pats replay a few years ago in the cup semis. It finished 4-3, iirc. It was a cracking game.

Also, pretty much any game with Turkey at the Euro's last year.

Advertisement