Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need information on dual sims

• 14-03-2009 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Being a doctor keeps me very busy. I use two mobile phones with two different sim connections. I do so in order to keep my professional and personal life separate. I receive calls from my patients 24x7. So I keep one sim card for my patients while the other one is for personal use. It’s tough using two phones at the same time. I would like to use both my sims in the same phone. How do I do so?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can get a dual sim adapter which is a cheap idea, but not ideal for you as it only has one number connected to the network at a time.

You would want a dual sim phone especially designed for this. They can be bought online from many places or ebay. Most of them come from the asian market. A lot of these can be fakes and some wont work on 3g either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Yeah i'd agree, you would be best to buy a phone designed for this .Here's one for example,Samsung d880,the page below describes exactly what are it's capapbilities.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_d880_duos-review-240p5.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd probably opt for the Samsung (mentioned by sxt above) one over oe of the Asian market ones. Samsung are a better known brand and at least you'll have some sort proper warranty with it if things go wrong.

Phone doesn't look too bad either (although personally I'm not a fan of Samsungs overly friendly GUIs).

I really don't think a dual SIM adapter is your best bet here and think the dual SIM phone is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote: »

The phones can use both simultaneously

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

daveirl wrote: »
    The Samsung phone above is sorta like 2 phones in one. Both operate side by side.

The dual SIM adapters (and indeed some dual SIM phones) do only connect one at a time though and sorta jump back and forth every few seconds.

I understand your need and have an excellent option for you. You must buy the dual sim card holder with a menu based sim card switch <Mod edit>. The dual sim card holders can be used in the Nokia N95, Samsung, Omnia, LG, and other latest handsets.

I don't think this is what the op wants. She wants both phones connected to the network at the same time where this option wont allow it. They do state on the webpage that "It also offers a brand new BOTH-ONLINE* Function" yet it doesnt explain what it means by that. My understanding is it wouldn't work with a standard phone. The only well possible of a sort of fix would be to setup a call divert from one number to the other and that can very costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

At eh risk of hijacking the thread, perhaps another option might suit you:

A mate of mine who is a professional has set up his (run of the mill nokia) phone by putting his contacts in groups. He puts all of his personal contacts in one group and assigns every other number that might call his phone to the another group. He can set his permissions differently for each group if he wants. What this means is that, during working hours, if anyone in his personal contacts group calls him, he sets the phone to automatically divert to his voice-mail, whereas anyone outside this group will make his phone actually ring. At 6pm, when he is finished work, he sets the permissions the other way around, so that only people in his personal contacts list can get through to him, while anyone else is diverted to his voicemail, to be dealt with the next day.

The advantage is that he gives everyone the same number and only has to carry one phone and simply manages access in terms of who gets to make his phone ring and who is put to voicemail depending on his situation.

I dont know if all phones can do this (and I am not particularly techie re phones) but he says that lots of phones can be set up this way.

I cant tell if you WANT patients to be able to contact you 24/7. If you do, then this may not suit you at all :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

Dual SIM isn't what you're looking for. You'd have to manually change which number you're working off. Quite awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Samsung also have a newer touchscreen dual sim model out, the D980.

The D880 is also a popular dual sim phone. pm me if you're after either one as they're not widely available.

Other than that there are inferior Chinese made dual sim touchscreen phones on the market, but their software is very basic, so I'd advise you not to touch them.

The method of grouping your contacts has its merits but as far as I know not all networks let you do this. It also isn't clear what would happen if a patient called you from a number that you didn't have in your phone memory, for instance if they called from a work or home landline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭3DataModem

There is also another option... just a workaround really.

You could divert your "work" phone to your "personal" phone.

This works well if you generally only receive calls on your work phone. Won't work for texts, and if you are calling patients you would need to make sure your number is blocked.

This works perfectly for me, as I don't get work texts, and need to be able to RECEIVE calls not make them to work.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement