Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

BOI 0.159 cent, and keep scrolling up :eek:
    What news did I miss? ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    What news did I miss? ??

Arrears rising slower.
    Entry onto the ftse all world services index from the 14th
    Fall in ecb funding by 8.1 bn by the irish banks
    Results launched 4 days ago that had no unexpected surprises. Also good tier 1 ratio.
    AND goodbody changing them to buy status with a price target of 16c yesterday. Which they nearly hit today.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭caoty

Time to take some profit I think.
    What news did I miss? ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭ranger4

caoty wrote: »
    Time to take some profit I think.

Current global rally still has legs, wouldnt be surprised to see 17c reached on run upto paddys day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Paul krugmann the us economist for ny times has an article today questioning whether or not this rally is sustainable and his answer is really no. The world economy is sluggish and the only rise why shares are rising is that bond rates are so low people are investing in shares even through the returns and future outlook doesn't look great

The stock rally in the US is mostly related to excessive money supply which drives down the bond rates.
    hfallada wrote: »
    Paul krugmann the us economist for ny times has an article today questioning whether or not this rally is sustainable and his answer is really no. The world economy is sluggish and the only rise why shares are rising is that bond rates are so low people are investing in shares even through the returns and future outlook doesn't look great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

broke even today ...4yrs later after buying in at 32c with 5 large figures....very painful...happy now and staying in long

but i do see short term back steps unless state sells stake.

This has a very VERY good chance .....stay long....inflation hedge and recovery play all in one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

how did you break even if you bought them at 32c

32 and 19 and 12 and 10 ave 15.5.......not a plan ....more a solution.....but worked out well enough now.....got my capital back ...but stockholm syndrome set in .......and we`re joined for life....will get out at 13.5 if needs be but what a journey.....

Bank of IRELAND survivor of the great bank crash premature but v possible I AM IN (long)

• Advertisement

Congratulation, you have "turned the corner":)
    euroboom13 wrote: »
    broke even today ...4yrs later after buying in at 32c with 5 large figures....very painful...happy now and staying in long

but i do see short term back steps unless state sells stake.

This has a very VERY good chance .....stay long....inflation hedge and recovery play all in one....

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭RR2026

congratulation euroboom13 : For me, I still need BOI to rise few more cents-just to break even,..... but also ' staying in long'

RR2026 wrote: »
    congratulation euroboom13 : For me, I still need BOI to rise few more cents-just to break even,..... but also ' staying in long'

thanx

irishtimes today points out rise due to" ftse350" listing next friday

interesting week ahead.

enjoy..if the last 2 days are repeated on mo/tue alot more long termers will be back in black....

thanx

irishtimes today points out rise due to" ftse350" listing next friday

interesting week ahead.

enjoy..if the last 2 days are repeated on mo/tue alot more long termers will be back in black....

What percentage would you give that shareholders will be be asked yet again to stomp up cash for the 3rd time with rights issue for the 1.8 billion euros to pay for govs pref shares before Next March as the cost to buy back those shares from the State will rise to €2.25bn under a "step-up agreement" I hope wilbur ross or another ii investor comes up with the capital and not current Longterm holders, Boucher should do his utmost with latter option.

ranger4 wrote: »
    What percentage would you give that shareholders will be be asked yet again to stomp up cash for the 3rd time with rights issue for the 1.8 billion euros to pay for govs pref shares before Next March as the cost to buy back those shares from the State will rise to €2.25bn under a "step-up agreement" I hope wilbur ross or another ii investor comes up with the capital and not current Longterm holders, Boucher should do his utmost with latter option.

rights issues can be profitable for share holders too.....any agreement that distances boi from our elected "leaders" ,can only strenghten the company....i for one will be happy when that corner is turned however achieved.....

any issues declared in our national sunday newspapers are agenda pushed...thankfully it doesn't influence my investments;)...still long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

|Ranger,
    i have been a keen follower of your for some years.
    i had intended to speak some time ago, that i differed from you in that I dont think that Irish Govt, Merkel ,Draghi and various others are 'muppets' because they do not devote their lives to getting the share price of BoI to rise.

I sold 60,000 share @ 10 cents ,booking a profit, intending to buy back when they fell, which they didnt.

I sold all the rest 93,000( Some of which cost 31 cent) the other day @ 15 cent, with the same intention. naturally(almost) they continued to rise.
    if i dont get the opportunity to do so, i will reboard the train or not.

I note this morning on LSE.co.uk that you talk now of the inevitable pullback, as you did some weeks ago.
    Do you ever sell all to buy back. You have over the years on here predicted most pull backs.

Rugbyman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

rights issues can be profitable for share holders too.....any agreement that distances boi from our elected "leaders" ,can only strenghten the company....i for one will be happy when that corner is turned however achieved.....

any issues declared in our national sunday newspapers are agenda pushed...thankfully it doesn't influence my investments;)...still long

Euroboom , am pleased you are back in profit, you detailed that you bought in stages , averaging down, Do you see no merit in selling on rises, Over the time scale you bought you would be up plenty by now. By the way I talk about this but have not done so, when i did i did it wrong.
    A poster on this thread, i dont recall the name said some weeks ago that he gained 100% in a year by so doing.

Regards Rugbyman( for first time in five years a non bkir shareholder)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

The biggest unknown for BoI has always been its actual survival. I think the % chance of nationalizations is now 0.

A rights issue to take it 100% private is a positive to my mind and I would gladly subscribe to it(again).

When the dust settles and this country finally gets back to normality with a productive ecomomey of some sort BoI will be in a very doninant position. There is not going to be a big influx of competition like there was in the early/mid 00's. AIB will be state owned for a while yet so hamstrung in what it does.

The last big unknow (to us small investors anyway) is whats under the hood as regaurds mortgage debt. private houses is bad enough but that could be delt with in a number of ways that dont hugely affect the balance sheet. they should have enough capital in place now to deal with this anyway.

Its the landlord property debt that is going to take some sorting. I know plenty of small landlords ( 2-5) units that have thrown in the towel long ago and have been more or less left alone over the last while. There is a change in this lately and the pressure is coming back on them. The rents dont cover repayments and the property is worth less than half what they paid. Where possible they are been forced to sell for any price and the balance owed put aside to be delt with later. And there's the problem. the funds from the sale show up as positive on the banks balance sheet but the balance owed is in limbo. At some stage this will need to be realised. that will be the day of reckoning.

I dont believe anyone can predict what the real share price value is so as it has been for the last few years with BoI its "buyer be ware"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

I've been meaning to buy some of these shares for a while now.

I tried to get an AIB online Account - but discovered that to do so would incurr over 4 weeks wait - to set up the required account - online account - and goodbody account. In addition there would be a routine quaterly charge on each account, and goernment stamp duty as well as a transaction charge on the purchase and eventual sale.

At the time I had about €1500 to spend and was hoping to get about 10,000 BOI shares. Of course given the wait, and the cumulative charges of about €200 I decided to leave it for a while to check my options.

Having checked with the other banks. - Ulster Bank - where I have my regular account - no longer do share dealing, and BOI - using Davies would require an equally long time to set up.

My question therefore is - If I have €2000 to spare and want to buy BOI shares ASAP - what is the best secure and most cost efficient method to do so?

I've been meaning to buy some of these shares for a while now.

I tried to get an AIB online Account - but discovered that to do so would incurr over 4 weeks wait - to set up the required account - online account - and goodbody account. In addition there would be a routine quaterly charge on each account, and goernment stamp duty as well as a transaction charge on the purchase and eventual sale.

At the time I had about €1500 to spend and was hoping to get about 10,000 BOI shares. Of course given the wait, and the cumulative charges of about €200 I decided to leave it for a while to check my options.

Having checked with the other banks. - Ulster Bank - where I have my regular account - no longer do share dealing, and BOI - using Davies would require an equally long time to set up.

My question therefore is - If I have €2000 to spare and want to buy BOI shares ASAP - what is the best secure and most cost efficient method to do so?

aib will buy them for you, on your behalf if you can lodge the funds into your aib acount and provide two proof of address and one photo idea...over the counter order...and you will get your certificates a week later .....best why in my opinion for a long...

rugbyman wrote: »
    Euroboom , am pleased you are back in profit, you detailed that you bought in stages , averaging down, Do you see no merit in selling on rises, Over the time scale you bought you would be up plenty by now. By the way I talk about this but have not done so, when i did i did it wrong.
    A poster on this thread, i dont recall the name said some weeks ago that he gained 100% in a year by so doing.

Regards Rugbyman( for first time in five years a non bkir shareholder)
    hi ,i am not a trader ,i purchase certs in my own name and hold long ,so would not be interest in going short..
    ...i do have a trading account spread on boi which has done well but i seldom play short....not on recovery stock anyway...

speculator

• Advertisement

aib will buy them for you, on your behalf if you can lodge the funds into your aib acount and provide two proof of address and one photo idea...over the counter order...and you will get your certificates a week later .....best why in my opinion for a long...

Thats interesting, because when I checked with the lady at the service desk in the branch I enquired in, she only notified me of an option to open an online account, however, it was a quite rural branch, and she kinda looked at me like I'd two heads when I mentioned share dealing first - at least until after she made a quick call to another branch.

Thanks I'll try giving one of the bigger branches a ring tomo.

Hello rugbyman,
    Been a while hows your trading going, well i hope

Getting more difficult to predict the swing trades with bkir which over the last few months has seen steady increase with sp value as recovery play,
    Not so sure current rally has much legs left until healthy profit taking dip retraces sp possibly back to @14c support range before consolidating and making higher highs, bondholder issues as is the case with pox anglo (IRBC) could emerge along with other euro woes which could be catalyst for healthy retrace however i still remain overall bullish for bkir just hope shareholders not expected to take part in another rights issue and opts instead to find ii investor or the likes of our wilbur to stomp up the 1.8 billion to take out gov pref shares.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 lob_sided

Thats interesting, because when I checked with the lady at the service desk in the branch I enquired in, she only notified me of an option to open an online account, however, it was a quite rural branch, and she kinda looked at me like I'd two heads when I mentioned share dealing first - at least until after she made a quick call to another branch.

Thanks I'll try giving one of the bigger branches a ring tomo.

banks are not the best place to trade shares , tbh , i wouldnt touch any of the major irish stock brokers either , their are all far too expensive for trades

i use TD investing , used to be with goodbody and the fees are a fraction with TD , your better with an online account rather than pay for an over the phone service , much cheaper and quicker

http://www.tddirectinvesting.ie/

ranger4 wrote: »
    Hello rugbyman,
    Been a while hows your trading going, well i hope

Getting more difficult to predict the swing trades with bkir which over the last few months has seen steady increase with sp value as recovery play,
    Not so sure current rally has much legs left until healthy profit taking dip retraces sp possibly back to @14c support range before consolidating and making higher highs, bondholder issues as is the case with pox anglo (IRBC) could emerge along with other euro woes which could be catalyst for healthy retrace however i still remain overall bullish for bkir just hope shareholders not expected to take part in another rights issue and opts instead to find ii investor or the likes of our wilbur to stomp up the 1.8 billion to take out gov pref shares.

i think people are judging bank of ireland by the typical trends of a large cap stock , penny stocks often jump up or down by 20% in one day and often have run ups of 50% in the space of a few months , im not saying a pullback - correction isnt round the corner but it could very well keep on rising through 20 cent , we must remember it was as low as could possibley be without completley disapearing , anything remotley possitive for the broader economy was going to see it rise , 16 cent is not a normal price for a major bank in any country , if the morgage situation begins to sort itself out , their is no reason why BOI is not back above 50 cent inside two years or less and above a euro inside five years , armageddon seems highly unlikely now

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mahony

I agree with some of the other posters in believing in the long run Bank of Ireland is not going anywhere and in the long run will be worth a lot more than it is today.

however is the current rise in price the real thing or just what seems to has happened the last two years around April?Both years the share price was very high in April and then subsequently collapsed.

Im really new to investing and have actually been learning from reading the posts on here! I was hoping to invest in BOI in January but I waited to try and learn and now I fear I missed the boat and should not invest.

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chfdeh=0&chdet=1363037983172&chddm=238459&chls=IntervalBasedLine&q=LON%3ABKIR&=1&=1&=1&=1&=maximized&=0&=0&=1363037983172&=238459&=IntervalBasedLine&=LON%3ABKIR&&=big&=rk4-UZDTKKmrwAPllQE&fct=big&ei=rk4-UZDTKKmrwAPllQE

Mahony wrote: »
    I agree with some of the other posters in believing in the long run Bank of Ireland is not going anywhere and in the long run will be worth a lot more than it is today.

however is the current rise in price the real thing or just what seems to has happened the last two years around April?Both years the share price was very high in April and then subsequently collapsed.

Im really new to investing and have actually been learning from reading the posts on here! I was hoping to invest in BOI in January but I waited to try and learn and now I fear I missed the boat and should not invest.

https://www.google.co.uk/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chfdeh=0&chdet=1363037983172&chddm=238459&chls=IntervalBasedLine&q=LON%3ABKIR&=1&=1&=1&=1&=maximized&=0&=0&=1363037983172&=238459&=IntervalBasedLine&=LON%3ABKIR&&=big&=rk4-UZDTKKmrwAPllQE&fct=big&ei=rk4-UZDTKKmrwAPllQE

if you plan to buy and hold for a number of years, its of course not to late but its up 35% year to date so their will be an opportunity to get in cheaper in the comings months , around 13. 5 cent should be good support

as for what happened last year , europe was in danger of breaking up last year , draghi taking over was a seminal moment and his speech last august in which he made a committment to do whatever it took to save the single currency, drew a line in the sand , the euro is going nowhere and the reality is that banks are more powerfull politically than ever , people will suffer , cuts will hurt but the banks will get their way

horrible world

this blog is a year old but well researched with no agenda as far as i can see. worth a read.

http://valuestockinquisition.wordpress.com/2012/03/24/putting-money-in-the-piigy-bank-bank-of-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

I would but again of they go to... .10c

lucky john wrote: »
    this blog is a year old but well researched with no agenda as far as i can see. worth a read.

http://valuestockinquisition.wordpress.com/2012/03/24/putting-money-in-the-piigy-bank-bank-of-ireland/

I have an odl securities ...and a td waterhouse acc... no issues with either but would recommend td... as its cheaper to trade...

A drop of -10.59% within an hour !! are we going back to 10c ? or just a temporary glitch ? :-((

• Advertisement

GREED IS GOOD!!!!!

im gona hold onto mine maybe .20?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Jesus, these shares have given me sleepless nights this last year. Bought in at 8c, 10c, 14c and watched them fall back to 8c. Got out on Wednesday for 17.3c and like a gonshxte am waiting to get back in again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Imagine the sleepless nights you'd be having if you bought in at £18.00.
    If you can't take a little up and down, get out and stay out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

2 stroke wrote: »
    Imagine the sleepless nights you'd be having if you bought in at £18.00.
    If you can't take a little up and down, get out and stay out.

Too true, still the penny share merchants bring a welcome reprieve.

RR2026 wrote: »
    A drop of -10.59% within an hour !! are we going back to 10c ? or just a temporary glitch ? :-((

For me looks like some kind of error

For me looks like some kind of error

I don't think so. I suspect two possible causes:
    1. Profit taking
    2. Somebody got a wind of the Cyprus bail-out, i.e. "the free-world bank robbery"

There could be some slaughter to be seen next week when the market gets the chance to react.

Someone bought 21.5 million euros worth of shares (141,272,668 shares) in the afternoon. they probably did a deal @15c and this seems to have held for the rest of the day. Who sold though?

Germans, annoyed by capital gains of speculators in irish banks(,after bailout), have given the depositors equity in cypriot banks(in return for levy),to spread the rewards, of a stronge recovery,

Scary but brave solution.....yet not very much mention of equity swap on the news...

friedberg global building stake in bank of ire....

heating up more...

scary time for the brave but worth the wait...i hope

The golden circle.
    lucky john wrote: »
    Someone bought 21.5 million euros worth of shares (141,272,668 shares) in the afternoon. they probably did a deal @15c and this seems to have held for the rest of the day. Who sold though?

• Advertisement

Anyone going to the AGM in April?

I'm hoping to bump into motor mouth Shane Ross and ask him to change subject and for a change focus instead on the INM debacle, SP < 4 cent!

some time it canbe beyond his control > comment made by Euro group president Jeroen Dijsselbloem led to sudden sale and of European bank shares including BOI.

Freefloating around 16c,
    however, hoped that the prices will come down in the near future (13c seems to be like a dream price to pay now :) )

Freefloating around 16c,
    however, hoped that the prices will come down in the near future (13c seems to be like a dream price to pay now :) )

Wouldnt be suprised to see 14c with impending indices correction having started and possibly picking up post Q1 earnings season however i believe 13-14c range will offer strong support and replace 2012 9c support as was case with correction last year.

No major move in BOI shares for last few weeks. Do we have a new baseline 16-17 cents ????.

Anyone going to the AGM in April?

I'm hoping to bump into motor mouth Shane Ross and ask him to change subject and for a change focus instead on the INM debacle, SP < 4 cent!

Anyone here him on the news? Jeysus he's raging about the fact that people can buy shares that were once worth 18 quid for 10c a few months.

Eh hello Mr Ross (the td not the good investor) that's the stockmarket for you. If you don't like the fact that you could lose your shirt on shares then don't feckin invest in them!
    If you don't like the fact that someone can buy them cheaper than you, tough! But you weren't exactly moaning when there share price was rising!

Not a bad journalist (highlighting fas scandal) but he seems like an awful bad picker of stocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Scortho wrote: »
    Anyone here him on the news? Jeysus he's raging about the fact that people can buy shares that were once worth 18 quid for 10c a few months.

Eh hello Mr Ross (the td not the good investor) that's the stockmarket for you. If you don't like the fact that you could lose your shirt on shares then don't feckin invest in them!
    If you don't like the fact that someone can buy them cheaper than you, tough! But you weren't exactly moaning when there share price was rising!

Not a bad journalist (highlighting fas scandal) but he seems like an awful bad picker of stocks!

Fair play to Shane Ross for fighting for the shareholders in BOI who have lost significant sums as they have watched the value of their shares drop by 98.152% in the last 5 years, while paying their CE something like €750k by way of salary, bonuses etc.

Mr Ross of course is a parttime journalist (I presume this is still the case as he has another parttime job in Dail Eireann) with Independent Newspapers, who have seen its share price drop by 99.758% in the same 5 years.

I have no recollection of Mr Ross using his journalistic skills (I'm no longer a reader so maybe I've missed it) to pan the Independent News & Media CE and senior management salaries in his weekly column, or a from the floor rant about the CE and senior management salaries at the Independent News & Media AGM's. During much of that time Mr Gavin was receiving a well earned annual salary (wages, bonus, etc) in excess of €1m, and of course received a €1.87m golden handshake when somebody (surprisingly) thought that maybe he should leave. Presumably Mr Ross was a perennial thorn in Mr Gavin's side at all those AGM's during all that time!!

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Fair play to Shane Ross for fighting for the shareholders in BOI who have lost significant sums as they have watched the value of their shares drop by 98.152% in the last 5 years, while paying their CE something like €750k by way of salary, bonuses etc.

Mr Ross of course is a parttime journalist (I presume this is still the case as he has another parttime job in Dail Eireann) with Independent Newspapers, who have seen its share price drop by 99.758% in the same 5 years.

I have no recollection of Mr Ross using his journalistic skills (I'm no longer a reader so maybe I've missed it) to pan the Independent News & Media CE and senior management salaries in his weekly column, or a from the floor rant about the CE and senior management salaries at the Independent News & Media AGM's. During much of that time Mr Gavin was receiving a well earned annual salary (wages, bonus, etc) in excess of €1m, and of course received a €1.87m golden handshake when somebody (surprisingly) thought that maybe he should leave. Presumably Mr Ross was a perennial thorn in Mr Gavin's side at all those AGM's during all that time!!

I've no problem with the wages me Boucher is on. He's doing a good job at getting the bank back around to probability and deserves to be rewarded for that.
    While the shareprice might be down 98.5% over 5 years, over the last year it's risen from a low of under 9c to close today at 16.9 cents. I judge mr boucher on his and the banks performance over the last year and since he became CEO. Which has been good at turning the bank around and getting it back to profit.

yes people got burned making risky decisions. That's the nature of investing. If it wasn't risky, we'd be all at it as it'd be guaranteed free money.

If you don't want to take the risk, that's what an post saving bonds are for! But when you do lose, and it's rare that at some stage an investment won't go wrong, there's no point in throwing the toys out of the pram over it!

Up over 5% today - let the good times begin

Cute Hoor wrote: »

But not a peep uttered about Dublin Docks Dev since his wife became involved or the collapse in INM SP etc etc? A loud mouthed silver spoon ex-Broker who took plenty of trips on the Senate gravy train.

IMO, he's worse than many of his targeted scapegoats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement