Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue TV

Options
  • 14-03-2009 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi All

I have a question from a not very technically aware person! Is analogue tv coming to an end in Ireland. I have SKY sales people calling to my door at least once a week saying that the analogue service is ending in 6 months so we will not be able to get tv through an aerial anymore. Is this true or just a hoax to try and sell more sky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Analogue TV is coming to an end, but not in 6 months. It is ending in parts of Britain now, but you are probably not receiving signal from there. In Ireland, north and south, it will end in 2012. So you have three more years and I expect there will be considerable information provided about the various options as the date approaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Is this true or just a hoax to try and sell more sky?
    A hoax. Eventually analogue will be switched off but only when there's sufficient digital terrestrial coverage which you will still get from an aerial. So wrong on a number of counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

take a look over in the terrestrial forum, it is coming to an end in about 2012-2015, digital is already being tested and starts in about 3 months. However, you will be able to get tv via aerial still, just need to get a box which should retail fairly cheap. Sky are only trying to sell on the back of mis information. Remember you can get most of the satellite channels free anyways by putting up a dish etc, and rte's from an aerial, there will even be boxes coming out that will do both digital tv via an aerial and satellite also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

TheDriver wrote: »
    take a look over in the terrestrial forum, it is coming to an end in about 2012-2015, digital is already being tested and starts in about 3 months. However, you will be able to get tv via aerial still, just need to get a box which should retail fairly cheap. Sky are only trying to sell on the back of mis information. Remember you can get most of the satellite channels free anyways by putting up a dish etc, and rte's from an aerial, there will even be boxes coming out that will do both digital tv via an aerial and satellite also.

I have a shiny new hd tv with built in digi reciever, now its compatible with uk, france etc digital transmissions and picks up dab radio but will it get digital tv through the aerial whenever it goes online?
    Hmmm, maybe shouldnt have posted this here........

I'd personally say it'll be 2015 before we can switch off analogue, I just don't think 2 or 3 years is enough time for the switchover. We'll probably wait until the last minute when the protection for analogue signals is abolished.
    I have a shiny new hd tv with built in digi reciever, now its compatible with uk, france etc digital transmissions and picks up dab radio but will it get digital tv through the aerial whenever it goes online?
    Hmmm, maybe shouldnt have posted this here........

Best to ask in the terrestrial forum but I can help you anyway. If the TV has an MPEG-4 decoder then it will work for Irish DTT. You mentioned France, does it say it'll do French HD? If so you're good!

• Advertisement
Advertisement