Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganley to stand as candidate in the North West constituency for European Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

nesf wrote: »
    Ganley to stand as candidate in the North West constituency for European Elections

Good Heavens! That was unexpected!

shocked,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I have to say "An evening with Declan Ganley" isn't exactly going to get the pulse racing. Reckon he'll be hard-pushed to get his expenses. The question is whose seat does he think he can get?
    Comparison between 1999 and 2004 are interesting. Even with 30%+ of the vote only one Independent got in. FG will get a seat, FF will struggle to hang on although if the Packie Bonner for FF rumour substantiates it could be quite entertaining.
    FG may even look at it as a half-chance for a strong second candidate. Marian Harkin has done OK and should be favoured to defend her seat. And then there's Dana(will she/won't she) and of course SF. Even Labour will hope to capitalise on their new found popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

is_that_so wrote: »
    I have to say "An evening with Declan Ganley" isn't exactly going to get the pulse racing. Reckon he'll be hard-pushed to get his expenses. The question is whose seat does he think he can get?
    Comparison between 1999 and 2004 are interesting. Even with 30%+ of the vote only one Independent got in. FG will get a seat, FF will struggle to hang on although if the Packie Bonner for FF rumour substantiates it could be quite entertaining.
    FG may even look at it as a half-chance for a strong second candidate. Marian Harkin has done OK and should be favoured to defend her seat. And then there's Dana(will she/won't she) and of course SF. Even Labour will hope to capitalise on their new found popularity.

Arguably Ganley might be able to put together a slick enough organisation to unite more of that Independent vote than has previous been managed. He faces problems though in that most Independent voters tend to be left wing and he's avowedly right wing and the right wing in the North West is more likely (imho) to swing towards FG than it is towards him. I'm having trouble seeing him make inroads in a lot of the conservative rural areas up there which have had essentially the same voting patterns for decades.

I'm not from the area though, so I'm not sure how much discontent is really there (as in people who are both discontent and likely to vote). I'm looking forward to polling from the area now.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

As a registered North West voter, I look forward to him coming looking for my vote...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I will never ever vote for conservative who secretly reqruit nationalists in other EU member states.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

At least he's as honest as our current politicians :P

thebman wrote: »
    At least he's as honest as our current politicians :P

A ringing endorsement!

with faint praise,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

If I were a betting man, I would say the result in Ireland North West will be, in order of election with the not elected in order too:

Jim Higgins MEP (FG)
    Sean O'Neachtain MEP (FF)
    Marian Harkin MEP (Independent)
    Cllr. Padraig McLochlainn (SF)
    Declan Ganley (Libertas)
    Labour candidate
    Senator Fidelma Healy Eames (FG)
    2nd FF candidate
    Green Candidate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

there will be no green or labour candidate

i can't see the general disillusionment with the ruling parties taking enough votes away form higgen, o'neachtain and harkins strong base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Livster

I am delighted to see Declan Ganley running for MEP for the North West. I have met Declan while he was canvassing in Sligo on a few occasions and found him to be a gentlemen and not this negative figure that the Irish media try so hard to protray him as. I find him to be an inspirational figure and he focuses on the key areas that concern me the most as an Irish citizen. Good Luck Declan!

• Advertisement

Livster wrote: »
    ...he focuses on the key areas that concern me the most as an Irish citizen.
    ...such as...?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Cronus333 wrote: »
    If I were a betting man, I would say the result in Ireland North West will be, in order of election with the not elected in order too:

Jim Higgins MEP (FG)
    Sean O'Neachtain MEP (FF)
    Marian Harkin MEP (Independent)
    Cllr. Padraig McLochlainn (SF)
    Declan Ganley (Libertas)
    Labour candidate
    Senator Fidelma Healy Eames (FG)
    2nd FF candidate
    Green Candidate
    Count Seanín out.

Bit of a late call there and most surprising that it's health related as he's been quite active of late...

Robbo wrote: »
    Count Seanín out.

Bit of a late call there and most surprising that it's health related as he's been quite active of late...

Hmm, this suddenly has got a lot more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

disapointed that there is no libertas candidate for me to ignore in the south constituency :(

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    disapointed that there is no libertas candidate for me to ignore in the south constituency :(

Well, we apparently get Caroline Simmons in Dublin.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

yeah I saw the really big poster of her opposite the strand apartments today on my way to work.

Wonder if she will show up on our radio station while I'm up there. Would love to ask them about their lisbon campaign and how they felt about certain half truths they spouted.

EDIT:

On a side note, I'm looking at the libertas website (http://www.libertas.eu/) and cant help but notice in their little slideshow at the top they announce that there are too many commissioners and too many laws being made by unelected officials and that Libertas is the only way to solve these issues.

but

werent both of these issues that the Lisbon Treaty was going to solve (and that they directly opposed)?

how confusing.

yeah I saw the really big poster of her opposite the strand apartments today on my way to work.

Wonder if she will show up on our radio station while I'm up there. Would love to ask them about their lisbon campaign and how they felt about certain half truths they spouted.

EDIT:

On a side note, I'm looking at the libertas website (http://www.libertas.eu/) and cant help but notice in their little slideshow at the top they announce that there are too many commissioners and too many laws being made by unelected officials and that Libertas is the only way to solve these issues.

but

werent both of these issues that the Lisbon Treaty was going to solve (and that they directly opposed)?

how confusing.

I don't know whether you saw this - I only came across it myself today:
    Well the Irish Times poll shows that the Lisbon Treaty would pass a new vote if the EU gave in and changed the Treaty to suit the Irish voters.

The Irish Times carried a good letter on the subject on the 17/11/2008.

We want the following.

* All countries to have an EU commissioner to keep Libertas happy. But we also want less EU fat cats and bureaucrats to keep Libertas happy.

* We want the EU to force companies to recognise Trade Unions to make the SIPTU happy. But we do not want the EU to interfere in the internal running of our country to keep the National Platform happy.

* We want the EU to make Ireland more liberal to keep the SWP happy. While also forcing Ireland back into a state run by religious laws the keep the Christian Right happy.

* On the army, we want no military spending and for the troops never to leave their barracks to keep PANA happy. But we want to make sure that the EU protects human rights by sending troops to places like Chad, to keep the EU integrations happy.

* We want the EU to stop importing of any foreign food into the EU for the IFA to be happy. But we want to be allowed sell our food all over the world without anyone stopping our exports to keep the IFA happy.

* We want the EU to promise not to increase taxation across the EU (even do article 113 and 115 says this cannot happen without our agreement) to keep happy Libertas. While we would like to see the Irish government increase taxation to keep Sinn Fein happy.

* We would like the EU to guarantee the right of the Irish people to hold further referendums on EU treaties (this would be on top of the guarantee already clearly expressed in article 48 of the treaty) to keep Libertas happy. While cutting back on the say that the EU would have in our internal affairs to keep the National Platform happy.

* We want the EU to restrict the movement of workers on lower wages around the EU to keep the unions happy. But increase the competition in the EU by allowing the free movement of workers within the EU to keep the business lobby happy.

* To top it all off we want someone to call to everyones house to explain the Lisbon Treaty in easy steps, while not wasting our time because we are not interested in it anyway.

Sums it all up quite well.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

We've got Kathy Sinnott to ignore. :p

her wiki article makes her sound like a scary person.

hate to be her kid.

Radio commentators must be low on things to talk about this morning.
    They are saying Sean o Neachtains decision not to stand will bring in Ganley.

Lol- so they think ff were going to retain a seat in this environment and that people were going to vote en masse for Ganley...the man who'd advocate us out of the Euro and Europe and probably into the commonwealth given his friendship with the Tories...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Radio commentators must be low on things to talk about this morning.
    They are saying Sean o Neachtains decision not to stand will bring in Ganley.
    Lol- so they think ff were going to retain a seat in this environment and that people were going to vote en masse for Ganley...the man who'd advocate us out of the Euro and Europe and probably into the commonwealth given his friendship with the Tories...

Now that Seanín has bowed out, I think Ganley has a good chance of gaining a seat in the NW area, will be suprised if Harkin or an FFer get a seat, so that leaves a lot of votes to be fought for particularly in the Galway city area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I don't understand why people want to vote for Libertas and Ganley. Didn't you realize they don't even have any political program??

Politics is not TV show, you don't send text to support those who sing better. Politics need ideas and well planned program.

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I don't understand why people want to vote for Libertas and Ganley. Didn't you realize they don't even have any political program??
    Politics is not TV show, you don't send text to support those who sing better. Politics need ideas and well planned program.

Whilst not having read Libertas's literature, they want a more transparent, accountable democratic Europe. What was Dana's political manifesto?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Whilst not having read Libertas's literature, they want a more transparent, accountable democratic Europe.
    And I want a richer, happier Europe with nicer weather. Don't bother reading my literature; with a manifesto like that, who wouldn't vote for me?
    What was Dana's political manifesto?
    Don't ask me, it never crossed my mind to vote for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

her wiki article makes her sound like a scary person.

Kathy Sinnot is an evil, evil women. She is constantly misguiding everyone. Half of her words are mistruths, and the other half lies.

I passed one of her posters recently, and was tempted to rip it down. I was then considering the practicality of driving through Cork City at night and ripping down all her signs.

And then I had a revelation -I would not lower myself to her level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Anyone know why he picked the Northwest? guessing myself that perhaps it had the highest % of no voters in the referendum, but that doesn't mean they'll vote for ganley. thoughts?

Anyone know why he picked the Northwest? guessing myself that perhaps it had the highest % of no voters in the referendum, but that doesn't mean they'll vote for ganley. thoughts?

He lives there.

turgon wrote: »
    I passed one of her posters recently, and was tempted to rip it down. I was then considering the practicality of driving through Cork City at night and ripping down all her signs.

I walk past them every day, and every day it's a struggle not to tear them down. :p

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

turgon wrote: »
    Kathy Sinnot is an evil, evil women. She is constantly misguiding everyone. Half of her words are mistruths, and the other half lies.

And then I had a revelation -I would not lower myself to her level.

Its also illegal.

I'd be interested to see Ganley Sitting in Brussles/Strasbourg on his own. the Sole Irish libertas MEP.
    if a single libertas candidate is elected to the European Parliment,(an irish one) would that make libertas supseptable to Irish laws regarding their funding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

snubbleste wrote: »
    He lives there.

does he have to run in that constituency though? For some reason I thought he might have more of a chance in Dublin, just wondering out loud here.

Advertisement