Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganley to stand as candidate in the North West constituency for European Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So far the confirmed candidates are

Ganley, Declan Libertas
    Harkin, Marian Independent
    Higgins, Jim Fine Gael
    Mac Lochlainn, Pádraig Sinn Féin
    Mooney, Paschal Fianna Fáil
    O'Keefe, Susan The Labour Party
    O'Reilly, Joe Fine Gael

Things have got a bit more interesting although O'Reilly could get Higgins transfers. Dana doesn't seemed to have decided. At this point I'd say SF could be in with a shout. Susan O'Keefe will do well to bring up the Labour vote, although I suspect a few Gilmore posters around will work wonders. The punishment FF are likely to get means that everyone is in with a shout. The questions about Ganley remains. Will he have enough first preferences to stay in the race and if he does who's going to give him transfers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I don't know that he can turn the lisbon 'no' vote into a ganley 'yes' vote.

I was talking to one SF hopeful in the coming locals in Galway City who had absolutely no love for Ganley.

Never mind Dublin I think he'd be better off running in England where his natural eurosceptic tory base lives.

Still I'm not going to complain if it turns out he's made a fatal mistake by running in the west of Ireland.

I'm just looking forward to giving him my last preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

does he have to run in that constituency though? For some reason I thought he might have more of a chance in Dublin, just wondering out loud here.

Afaik they are running a candidate in every constituency except Ireland South, due to Kathy Sinnots presence there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

turgon wrote: »
    Afaik they are running a candidate in every constituency except Ireland South, due to Kathy Sinnots presence there.

Yeah she's got the anti-establishment vote sewn up down here, mores the pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Is she one of those candidates who doesnt listen to reason and thinks debating is shouting louder then your opponent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Is she one of those candidates who doesnt listen to reason and thinks debating is shouting louder then your opponent?

I think that's her; she took the same course in debating as those whack-jobs in Coir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

turgon wrote: »
    Kathy Sinnot is a member of the EU Democrats - a Eurosceptic European (level) Political Party. That party - like the other European Political Parties - has a European Political Foundation whose role is to essentially advance the political views of the parent party (to simplify slightly). The EU Democrats' political foundation is the Foundation for EU Democracy which produced the "The Lisbon Treaty - the Readable Version" written by well-known Danish Eurosceptic Jens-Peter Bonde. This document was, of course, the document that Mr Ganley claimed that Libertas were giving out 35,000 copies of during the referendum campaign (A donation with a market value of EUR 700,000, despite the relevant electoral donation limit being EUR 6,348.69 for a third party such as Libertas - See SIPO report P. 13).

As such, it isn't hard to see why Libertas aren't going to run anyone who might take votes from Kathy Sinnot. Were they to do so, it'd be a bit like Labour Youth running candidates who'd take votes away from Labour candidates...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It seem to me that Libertas is targeting the North West as an easy touch constituency to get a candidate elected. FFS the North West elected Dana and we seen all she done for the region:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Higgins is a Cert.

If FF put up a credible candidate, they should just about scrape by.

The third seat always was protest vote, going back to Blayney days.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

libertas posters are showing up alot more now.

Saw 3 today on my way through town.

One was the dublin city candidate. expected. (just at the five lamps)

Another was on the side of a bus

and the final (just by the strand apartments) was the very aggressive *Biffo has lost countless jobs and run the country into the ground, but Declan Ganley has a history of success and job creation*

While I wouldnt be one to jump to Cowen's defence, it was a very patronising ad, one where the picture of Brian Cowen is one where his arm is lifted above his head so he looks like a monkey and Declan Ganley is standing straight looking out like some proud git.

I dont like manipulative adverts like that. Make me instantly side with the person they attack most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I don't know whether you saw this - I only came across it myself today:

that letter

cordially,
    Scofflaw

how is it fair to compare what pana wants with what libertas want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bokspring71

I am guessing that many have already seen this article http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/declan-ganley-is-the-victim-of-a-shameful-smear-campaign-1639858.html in today's Irish Independant.

I think it's exciting that Ganley is standing, as one feature of modern Ireland seems to be elections where everyone standing, with a serious chance at election, seems to be in broad agreement.

It's fun to play the game of spotting when an opponant of Ganley's doesn't attack his argument or policies, but instead relies on personal smears and innuendo.

I am guessing that many have already seen this article http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/declan-ganley-is-the-victim-of-a-shameful-smear-campaign-1639858.html in today's Irish Independant.

I think it's exciting that Ganley is standing, as one feature of modern Ireland seems to be elections where everyone standing, with a serious chance at election, seems to be in broad agreement.

It's fun to play the game of spotting when an opponant of Ganley's doesn't attack his argument or policies, but instead relies on personal smears and innuendo.

A Libertas voter so. I don't disagree with the basic thrust of that piece i.e. not everything said about a particular election candidate is necessarily truthful and that it's unfair. But it happens all the time , locally , nationally and at EU level as well. It's not as if Bruce Arnold is telling us anything new. Beyond that it's just a long list of conveniently assembled truths to tell us exactly nothing.

There are many reasons why Ganley deserves all he's getting.

Now I don't know about you but I like politicians I can trust to some degree and sadly Mr Ganley has yet to put anything on the table that is worth listening to and entirely trustworthy.

He has not been truthful enough or even when he has he has left such a deficit open to any number of interpretations.

He and Libertas hold local and national politics in complete contempt. If he really gave a damn he'd be running as Councillor.

He has still not adequately explained Libertas funding in the referendum last year.

Incidentally the director of elections for Libertas Lynton Crosby "got form" in this type of smear campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

how is it fair to compare what pana wants with what libertas want

In the case of the referendum No, it's fair, I think - and that's what that piece is about, after all.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I was originally delighted that a group outside the political parties but with sufficient clout to be noticeable was standing, even if that group was agaist Lisbon in the referendum. Unfortunately, Libertas seem to operate almost entirely by smear and negative campaigning - we're only a month in, but we've already had attempts to link Jim Higgins to a non-existent swimming pool, and now it looks like we're hip-deep in abortion accusations and counter-accusations - even though abortion is not now, and is never likely to be, an EU competence, and is therefore irrelevant in a European election.

sadly,
    Scofflaw

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Libertas have policies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I saw his first banner in Galway yesterday when I was going back home.

Sorry for the quality, the pic made with phone at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

god helps us all (im an atheist so its figure of speech)

these Libertas people really freak me out :eek:

so much for his claims a year ago that He has no political ambitions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I saw his first banner in Galway yesterday when I was going back home.

Sorry for the quality, the pic made with phone at night.

Is he trying to dupe people into thinking he's running in the local elections? I thought their EU ambitions are to bring the current EU down from the inside. The message on that banner makes no sense.

Is he trying to dupe people into thinking he's running in the local elections? I thought their EU ambitions are to bring the current EU down from the inside. The message on that banner makes no sense.

The spin doctors have no doubt determined that the European elections will be fought on domestic issues du jour - that looks more like a General Election poster. He's literally just aiming at what people are currently concerned about - and it's not as if Libertas have actually released any policies, so there's nothing to contradict the poster message.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

How is Deco in the Parliament going to lead to job creation and new leadership? I remember him during the Treaty referendum swearing blind that Libertas would be disbanded as soon as the referendum was over. I still can't work out what his aims actually are because he has no policies to implement. Everything he says is simply a buzz word but he clearly wants power.

Any ideas what he's getting out of his sudden political conversion over the past year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

r14 wrote: »
    ... Any ideas what he's getting out of his sudden political conversion over the past year?

I came across the suggestion somewhere that he has a bit of the Berlusconi about him: now that he has his money made, he is in politics for reasons of vanity.

He's running in my constituency (I can't bring myself to say that I am in his constituency). There is serious competition for last place on my ballot. I'll probably give it to Declan.

r14 wrote: »
    How is Deco in the Parliament going to lead to job creation and new leadership? I remember him during the Treaty referendum swearing blind that Libertas would be disbanded as soon as the referendum was over. I still can't work out what his aims actually are because he has no policies to implement. Everything he says is simply a buzz word but he clearly wants power.

Any ideas what he's getting out of his sudden political conversion over the past year?

There was this daft notion proposed whereby the EU elections would be a proxy vote on Lisbon and by voting for Libertas you'd be voting against Lisbon. Once Lisbon 2 was confirmed he declared. So basically no policies, just get enough Eurosceptics elected to prove that he and a large enough number of people don't like Lisbon for it to be scrapped.

Mind you it would be hard to have a policy stating that you really want to bring down the institution you are hoping to join.

As for the blurb,well I reckon it's predicated on the hope that we'll actually believe any of it is anyway credible.

In my area (East ) we have some bloke with bad teeth who has been "good for business, jobs and farmers".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bokspring71

The spin doctors have no doubt determined that the European elections will be fought on domestic issues du jour - that looks more like a General Election poster. He's literally just aiming at what people are currently concerned about - and it's not as if Libertas have actually released any policies, so there's nothing to contradict the poster message.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Lets not be naieve; Politics is about power. Anyone with political ambitions will say anything to become elected or re-elected.

While we can all agree that it is deplorable that the EU Elections will be fought partly on domestic issues, the same is true right across the EU and wringing our hands about it won't alter it.

Personally, I welcome a new party (Libertas) as they are likely to enliven political debate but will not, probably, change anuthing much. Libertas are by in large a single issue group (just as the Green party was before them). Most political parties are formed in this way and, in time, learn to adapt to try to grab more power, leaving behind their convictions as a quid pro quop for power.

I advice us all to sit back and enjoy the scrap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

...that looks more like a General Election poster. He's literally just aiming at what people are currently concerned about ...

Exactly - look at the website and it's all generic bluster. If you look at their website 'Policies' section it makes mention of 5 core principles, none of which have even the slightest resonance with the 'job creation' or 'economic recovery' on his billboards.

They're just fatuous bullets, with no more weight than 'I hope we qualify for the next world cup'...

EDIT: note that full disclosure is ironically a core principle of Libertas...classic

Lets not be naieve; Politics is about power. Anyone with political ambitions will say anything to become elected or re-elected.

While we can all agree that it is deplorable that the EU Elections will be fought partly on domestic issues, the same is true right across the EU and wringing our hands about it won't alter it.

Personally, I welcome a new party (Libertas) as they are likely to enliven political debate but will not, probably, change anuthing much. Libertas are by in large a single issue group (just as the Green party was before them). Most political parties are formed in this way and, in time, learn to adapt to try to grab more power, leaving behind their convictions as a quid pro quop for power.

I advice us all to sit back and enjoy the scrap!

As I've said before, I'm ambivalent. I'm glad to see the elections being shaken up, but I don't like Libertas. They're Catholic fundies in suits.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

From that Red C Poll. An awful lot to do for Libertas.
    Libertas was also included in today’s poll for the European elections and takes 2 per cent of the first preference vote, with most support evident in the East and South constituencies. Declan Ganley’s party will, however, need to gain a lot more support to come anywhere near taking a seat.
    And from the same paper Padraig O'Ceidigh of Aer Arann may run for FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

In Short .....

That man really really confuses me!

Anti EU (Yet he runs for an EU position), No political ambitions (Yet he stands for an election), more transparency in politics (Now seen to have ulterior motives)! :confused::confused::confused:

Its a sad day if he does get elected.

His posters are now everywhere, beside the roads, in the shopping centers, etc.

Did you notice ANY libertas campaign activity in your places?

• Advertisement

DJCR wrote: »
    Its a sad day if he does get elected.
    Indeed. Unfortunately, his supporters will register for the elections to vote for him. His opponents (and those who don't care about him) will not.

Result? Ganley might be elected.

Those who still didn't register.. You still have a time untill 18th May!

Advertisement