Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganley to stand as candidate in the North West constituency for European Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Indeed. Unfortunately, his supporters will register for the elections to vote for him. His opponents (and those who don't care about him) will not.

Result? Ganley might be elected.

Those who still didn't register.. You still have a time untill 18th May!

I'm a Ganley opponent and I will be at the polls on election day giving him my last preference, come hell or high water. Is that motivated enough? ;)

A lot of politicians in the west leave a bad taste (admittedly it more the local government candidates than Euro candidates that get my goat) but that taste is mostly limited to incompetence, arrogance and borderline corruption. At least you know where you stand with the rest of them. But Ganley is just... sinister!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

His posters are now everywhere, beside the roads, in the shopping centers, etc.

Did you notice ANY libertas campaign activity in your places?

I notice them everywhere online.

I swear Boards.ie is probably the only website I am not getting libertas flash ads on.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Did you notice ANY libertas campaign activity in your places?
    I saw an A4-sized notice taped to a lamppost in Ballintubber a couple of weeks ago, advertising a Libertas public meeting in Castlebar on the subject of CAP. I had hoped to get to it, but couldn't make it. I was surprised at how low-key the advertising was, and I haven't seen any local press coverage of it since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I saw an A4-sized notice taped to a lamppost in Ballintubber a couple of weeks ago, advertising a Libertas public meeting in Castlebar on the subject of CAP. I had hoped to get to it, but couldn't make it. I was surprised at how low-key the advertising was, and I haven't seen any local press coverage of it since.

I would think the local media would have deep roots in established parties
    I saw a van advertising a Libertas CAP meeting last month in Co. Galway, I think they are doing a tour of towns in the west

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    libertas posters are showing up alot more now.

Saw 3 today on my way through town.

One was the dublin city candidate. expected. (just at the five lamps)

Another was on the side of a bus

and the final (just by the strand apartments) was the very aggressive *Biffo has lost countless jobs and run the country into the ground, but Declan Ganley has a history of success and job creation*

While I wouldnt be one to jump to Cowen's defence, it was a very patronising ad, one where the picture of Brian Cowen is one where his arm is lifted above his head so he looks like a monkey and Declan Ganley is standing straight looking out like some proud git.

I dont like manipulative adverts like that. Make me instantly side with the person they attack most of the time.

Reading off Department of Environment site today. No euro and local elections posters to be put up before 6th May. Wonder if there is a fine for this, and do they have to be reported locally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Bilboards and Bus shelter Advertisments Are Just Advertisments. They are not covered by the dept of enviroment.

lampost posters are however

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Bilboards and Bus shelter Advertisments Are Just Advertisments. They are not covered by the dept of enviroment.

lampost posters are however

Ah, Libertas! Compliant with the letter of the law...

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

There are several Raymond oMalley libertas euro election posters up in Enniscorthy. Why do they think they are above the rules that apply to all the other candidates? If these are the standards that they set for themselves with the little things god help us all if any of these kooks are elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I am voting in the West constituency. For the first time in my life I am considering giving Sinn Fein a preference. Up until now I fill in a ballot all the way to the end and left SF blank. It was my one man mini-protest that made my smile fro 3 seconds and mattered little to the rest of the world.

But now it looks like Declan will get my special spot on the ballot paper. Good news for SF is that they can add an extra 8th preference to their tallies.

Times like this that I love our little PRSTV system and our 'silly little pencils'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

There are several Raymond oMalley libertas euro election posters up in Enniscorthy.

Can I ask, are they posters or billboards?

I have a felling billboards are exempt - for example there is one of Eoin Ryan near Christchurch in Dublin. Also I think advertisements for local meetings might be okay as I have seen a Green party candidate put up an ad for a meeting about 'local amenities' or something that had a very prominent picture of him on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭conorlechance

Credit to Libertas. Whatever my opinions on them they get out there and make themselves known which can't be said for the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Credit to Libertas. Whatever my opinions on them they get out there and make themselves known which can't be said for the others.
    Indeed; but who's providing them with the means to do so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

haha and where are they getting millions in credit? HA!

can someone clear something out for me

since they are a political party now can they be forced to disclose the source of funding for last years Lisbon Treaty campaign?

Libertas are shady and downright dirty, the fact that they wont disclose where the millions came from to pay for last years campaign (and im sure these recent adverts aint cheap either) and they have ties to US military complex really makes one wonder :eek:

ionix5891 wrote: »
    haha and where are they getting millions in credit? HA!

can someone clear something out for me

since they are a political party now can they be forced to disclose the source of funding for last years Lisbon Treaty campaign?

AFAIK, the new Libertas is a different legal entity from that Libertas, so, no, it wouldn't apply.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

European and local elections tend to be a time for the electorate to voice their dissatisfaction with the political parties, in particular whoever is in government and as a result FF are likely to get a bloody nose. Of course, the big question is where those votes will go and often they will go to a fringe group, independent or small party; SF and the Greens have benefited from this in the past.

Of the larger parties, neither FG or Labour are really seen as terribly credible alternatives. Meanwhile, the Greens are tainted now and likely to share in FF's woes.

So I suspect that Ganley will get elected, but he'll most likely be the only Libertas candidate to do so. SF may also do well, but my money would be on the independents. Personally I think even Richard Boyd Barrett could get elected in the present climate. There's a scary thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Fausto Miño

This is a rather comprehensive and well researched article looking closely at Libertas background and interests. The last section on the presentation of a document regarding U.S. interests particularly so.
    The whole situation seems rather bizarre when you know a little bit more than them.
    http://www.indymedia.ie/article/87311

I imagine people will still vote for this guy, and 99% of them will have no idea as to his background, or that of his party.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

European and local elections tend to be a time for the electorate to voice their dissatisfaction with the political parties, in particular whoever is in government and as a result FF are likely to get a bloody nose. Of course, the big question is where those votes will go and often they will go to a fringe group, independent or small party; SF and the Greens have benefited from this in the past.

Of the larger parties, neither FG or Labour are really seen as terribly credible alternatives. Meanwhile, the Greens are tainted now and likely to share in FF's woes.

So I suspect that Ganley will get elected, but he'll most likely be the only Libertas candidate to do so. SF may also do well, but my money would be on the independents. Personally I think even Richard Boyd Barrett could get elected in the present climate. There's a scary thought.

Not sure where some of this logic is coming from. Libertas are at 2% nationally and if the Red C poll is to believed most of that is in East and South. With numbers like that he will be lucky to get his expenses back. Like all smaller "parties" Libertas need a big enough first preference so as not to over rely on transfers. This is an ever-present challenge for SF and what left them short the last time out.

I also think you confuse this so-called apathy with the two main opposition parties with widespread disenchantment with both. European elections tend to be more about personalities and vague "we'll do our best for Ireland and we promise not to embarrass you" messages. A further issue this time out is the EU elections are really a bit of a sideshow to all of our other woes.

Libertas' current obscure message is unlikely to have any traction, mostly because what they are talking about makes absolutely no sense in an EU context. They also have a deluded notion that being on the "winning" side in a referendum confers electability on them. Richard Boyd Barrett would be a long-standing TD if that were the case. Couple that with a director of elections who doesn't seem to know what the EU elections or Irish politics are about as well as the recent negative press from former insiders and it is clear that Libertas are currently in the Hail Mary place. They will do well to dig up the 6-7% minimum to leave them in any way competitive in the four weeks of the campaign proper.

Unlike a referendum they are going up against politicians who will do their best to ensure that they have as little chance as possible of being elected .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not sure where some of this logic is coming from. Libertas are at 2% nationally and if the Red C poll is to believed most of that is in East and South. With numbers like that he will be lucky to get his expenses back. Like all smaller "parties" Libertas need a big enough first preference so as not to over rely on transfers. This is an ever-present challenge for SF and what left them short the last time out.
    European and local elections are not considered as 'serious' by voters and so historically will engender protest votes that will buck national trends.

From memory, Patricia McKenna in the 1994 European elections pulled a vastly larger percentage of the vote than the Greens could have hoped for at that stage (she may have even topped the poll, but I can't recall). Sinn Fein also did disproportionately well with Mary Lou McDonald in the European Elections in 2004 and with significant gains in the locals - yet this failed to convert in the subsequent general election.

That's not to say that Ganley or Libertas will win any European seats, however he is high profile, people are pissed at the mainstream parties and these elections will often see protest votes - so I would rate his chances.

And, finally, the constituency he's running in is full of inbred muck-savages anyway... ;)

The dublin constituency candidates will be available for questions at the Northside Civic Centre in Coolock

on thursday 21st of may at 7pm.

Not confirmed yet if the libertas candidate will appear.

If she does I will post back, I will probably be filming the event as its our community organisation hosting the event with the northside community forum.

So if there is a list of questions for all the candidates (and specifically on libertas) I will list the panel once its confirmed and you can post them here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

The dublin constituency candidates will be available for questions at the Northside Civic Centre in Coolock

on thursday 21st of may at 7pm.

Not confirmed yet if the libertas candidate will appear.

If she does I will post back, I will probably be filming the event as its our community organisation hosting the event with the northside community forum.

So if there is a list of questions for all the candidates (and specifically on libertas) I will list the panel once its confirmed and you can post them here.

heres some questions for them

* what are Libertas policies? where can this info be found?? are Libertas making it up as yee go???

* where on the political spectrum does Libertas fit?

and most importantly

* where is the money coming from?

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

r14 wrote: »
    How is Deco in the Parliament going to lead to job creation and new leadership? I remember him during the Treaty referendum swearing blind that Libertas would be disbanded as soon as the referendum was over. I still can't work out what his aims actually are because he has no policies to implement. Everything he says is simply a buzz word but he clearly wants power.

I agree with this. Declan Ganley is a dangerous chancer. When interviewed by Irish media he proclaimed himself as having been the "special advisor" to a Lithuanian Minister. Prime Time tracked down that particular man, who said that Mr Ganley was one of a number of business people who were there tendering for work. I think this gives you some indication of the lack of intergity of the man. The man is either a fantasist or just a liar. I would go with the latter.

His background with other business ventures is very unsure. He also did Ireland a complete injustice by scaring the Irish people into voting "no" in the Lisbon Treaty referendum. He tinkered around with a referendum that had nothing to do with him.

Finally, the man is after all English and is only using Ireland for what he can get from it. This man is a businessman with a virtually unknown background. He has no place in public office and should not be voted in. Hopefully the people of the West will see him for what he is, but considering that they voted Beverly Flynn in with flying colours the last time, I'm not holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Livster wrote: »
    I am delighted to see Declan Ganley running for MEP for the North West. I have met Declan while he was canvassing in Sligo on a few occasions and found him to be a gentlemen and not this negative figure that the Irish media try so hard to protray him as. I find him to be an inspirational figure and he focuses on the key areas that concern me the most as an Irish citizen. Good Luck Declan!

Hi Declan, welcome to boards. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

From memory, Patricia McKenna in the 1994 European elections pulled a vastly larger percentage of the vote than the Greens could have hoped for at that stage (she may have even topped the poll, but I can't recall).

She did indeed top the poll: http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=1994E&cons=524

Her support dropped over the following years.

Just wondering if Libertas have announced their affiliation yet for the european parliment, their wiki page doesnt say so and their website doesnt seem to have from what i can see.

Just wondering if Libertas have announced their affiliation yet for the european parliment, their wiki page doesnt say so and their website doesnt seem to have from what i can see.

They aim to be their own group, I think - but all that detail stuff will apparently be worked out after we've elected them.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

If they dont make an announcement in the time being on that, it is going down as one of my questions. Especially on if they dont get the minimum numbers for a group who will they join.

on a side note here's a shocking twist.

in not 1 but 2 cases tabloids are more factual then libertas:

case 1:http://www.herald.ie/national-news/libertas-loonies-no-check-wikipedia-1718954.html

I admit I rely on wikipedia, but I bloody make sure what I quote is at least referenced, especially articles on politicions

case 2:

daily mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1170129/Pay-deal-MEPs-20-cent--13-000--annual-pay-rise.html

libertas UK: http://www.libertas.eu/uk/british-meps-vote-themselves-a-27-payrise

actual facts: (http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/expert/thematic_note_page/008-46723-019-01-04-901-20090120TMN46722-19-01-2009-2009/default_p001c009_en.htm)

the EU in 2005 decided that it was unfair that its MEP's were being paid different rates due to being paid the same wages as the lower house of each of their governments resulting in very different salaries. They decided on a standard pay to keep everyone level.

but of course because the UK was not in the euro their mep's pay fluctuated with the sterling. So when it bombed their pay shot up 27%

lovely how libertas leaves all of this out.

Hell the Daily Mail reported more then they did, that is bloody shocking stuff.

You know, you couldn't make that up! That's really brazen cheek.

amazed,
    Scofflaw

it has motivated me to put together a youtube video on it. I got my rock band hooked up to the pc and trying to record me explaining it without waffling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Scofflaw wrote: »
    They aim to be their own group, I think - but all that detail stuff will apparently be worked out after we've elected them.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

And in practice, they'll end up sitting with the Independence/Democracy Eurosceptic group as none of the major groups would touch them with a bargepole. Also as Ind/Dem's political think tank already gave them EUR 700K of a "donation" during the referendum it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

Scofflaw wrote: »

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Yep that's correct. Heard Ganley on the radio saying he's going to set up his own grouping. He reckons he'll get 100 libertas MEPs this year and so he'll be the single biggest national party in the Parliament. He said this right after saying that libertas is a pan-national party.

He can't even keep consistency between two sentences never mind across a campaign.

I'd love someone to push him on who he'd join if he only got one or two elected (hopefully). I bet he'd say he'd stay independent and then go off and join the eurosceptics.

Advertisement