Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganley to stand as candidate in the North West constituency for European Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

We don't need to put our trading partners out - our currencies are locked in as we speak.

We need to make in understood in Europe that we would like to see some level of alignment with the GBP.

They then would need to explain why this should or should not happen.

I'm sure a lot of traders who have seen their custom fly north would support me.

So the Euro should be tied to Sterling? What a good idea! What rate should we fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Yes. You are making a very poor case.

Where does Ganley stand on NATO? Where does he stand on anything?

Poor case - does think so!

I used the Kosovo example after another (!) poster condemned NATO for interfering in European matters to demonstrate the active and positive role the US has played in Europe now and in the past.

Now can any of you Ganley bashers respond on Sarkozy's comments
    about Ireland??

So the Euro should be tied to Sterling? What a good idea! What rate should we fix?

Within broad ranges - yes!
    The GBP and USD track each other.

.. Now can any of you Ganley bashers respond on Sarkozy's comments about Ireland??

Sarko is a gobdaw. Despite his overweening vanity, he is not France, nor does he represent French popular opinion.

Within broad ranges - yes!

What mechanism should be used? And again, I ask: what rate should we fix?

Yeah, right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The GBP is no longer the reserve currency that it used to be. The days when pegging our currency to Sterling made sense are long over, one look at exchange rate data from the last 12-18 months would show you why.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Q1 2009 sterling to euro:1.10
    sterling to doller:1.43

from here: http://www.business.barclays.co.uk/BBB/A/Content/Files/Interest_and_Exchange_Rate_Outlook.pdf

So the sterling has gone to crap with both the euro and the doller and if anything that table shows that the sterling went to crap more so against the doller then it did against euro (from 1.97 to 1.43 dollers in one year, compared to 1.26 to 1.10 euros in one year)

So this tracking you were speaking of, did they forget to apply it last year?

nesf wrote: »
    The GBP is no longer the reserve currency that it used to be. The days when pegging our currency to Sterling made sense are long over, one look at exchange rate data from the last 12-18 months would show you why.

When the Euro came into being on 1 Jan 2003 it was floated at EUR1=USD1.15.

In the months after that the currency dropped back to EUR0.85c=USD1.

And no-one, no-one in Europe came to Ireland to explain this to you and me?

and right now its 1 euro = 1.35 dollars.

Ok, look at this graph for me:

EuroGBP.jpg

You'll have to click it because IMG tags are disabled in this forum.

The two lines are Euro/USD and GBP/USD both normalised at the start of the series to 1 to make it easier to see what's happening. Now look at the 2003 slump that you're talking about. You'll see quite clearly that the Pound went through an identical movement to the one you're talking about so being pegged to the Pound would not have changed things. You'll also notice that from around July 2007 the British Pound has stopped tracking the Euro and taken a nosedive.

• Advertisement

If you get more dollars for a given amount of Euros, that is not generally regarded as the Euro "dropping back". Anyway, exchange rates are interactions between economies where no one currency is, or should be, regarded as a constant.

What a preposterous requirement! Anybody with a rudimentary understanding of economics could explain it for you; you don't need special emissaries from Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Do you know anything?

The euro was launched in 1999. I presume you are referring to when the physical currency was circulated which was 2002.

Obviously I'm not referring to Happy Monday but i've noticed that Ganely has some real uneducated idiots voting for him and that scares me

If you get more dollars for a given amount of Euros, that is not generally regarded as the Euro "dropping back". Anyway, exchange rates are interactions between economies where no one currency is, or should be, regarded as a constant.

What a preposterous requirement! Anybody with a rudimentary understanding of economics could explain it for you; you don't need special emissaries from Europe.

In my example you would have received less USD for a Euro - hence the term dropping back is correct in its application - perhaps you don't have that rudimentary understanding of economics you refer to later on.

The point is that our foreign exchange rate policy is in the hands of bankers in Frankfurt who care not for the concerns of the Irish economy but will jump if the French and German economies slow down.

Look at drops in interest rates which have been consistent in recent months as Germany and France stagnated - but were not forthcoming 12 and 15 months ago as Ireland went into recession first in the EU.

Steviemak wrote: »
    Ganely has some real uneducated idiots voting for him and that scares me!!

Less of the abuse please.

Some simple facts would be nice - rather than made up rubbish. This is supposed to be a Political forum.

Do you know anything?

The euro was launched in 1999. I presume you are referring to when the physical currency was circulated which was 2002.

Ganely has some real uneducated idiots voting for him and that scares me!!

2002 and not 2003! - the point remains valid.
    Ganley is not spelt Ganely - perhaps you were dropping soap with the Christian Brothers in the showers when spelling lessons were on.

The point is that our foreign exchange rate policy is in the hands of bankers in Frankfurt who care not for the concerns of the Irish economy but will jump if the French and German economies slow down.

We are also shielded by those large countries' economies during recessions like this which prevents us from ending up like Iceland where a run on their currency because of mounting external debt collapsed much of their economy.

It isn't I just addressed it above in the post with the graph of more than a single data point, although from this thread you seem to ignore when that happens.

Ganley is not spelt Ganely - perhaps you were dropping soap with the Christian Brothers in the showers when spelling lessons were on.

The pair of you can stop sniping at each other or I will ban both of you.

Some simple facts would be nice - rather than made up rubbish. This is supposed to be a Political forum.

What's made up?

We didn't learn about Ganley in school but future generations might and not for good reasons. The man is dangerous for this country.

As I said 1999 not 2002 or 2003

• Advertisement

What's made up?

Dates my learned friend Dates

nesf wrote: »
    We are also shielded by those large countries' economies during recessions like this which prevents us from ending up like Iceland where a run on their currency because of mounting external debt collapsed much of their economy.

Are we though - recent OECD reports have reduced Ireland's international credit rating - perhaps it's only a matter of time before Ireland becomes Iceland?

the point remains valid.

The only point that you made tonight that is valid is that Declan Ganley lives in Ireland.

You were wrong about Kosovo, you were wrong about the veto you were wrong on the role of the commissioner and you were wrong about the currency.

You have provided nothing to back any of your claims everytime someone has pointed to proof that you are wrong you have then proceeded to ignore them and move to a different topic.
    What's made up?

pretty much everything on the Libertas website.

Are we though - recent OECD reports have reduced Ireland's international credit rating - perhaps it's only a matter of time before Ireland becomes Iceland?

No. For us to become Iceland there'd have to be a run on our currency that cripples our ability to import goods and our banking system would have to collapse in a way that makes our present crisis look like a storm in a teacup. The first isn't going to happen. The second is also unlikely given that our problems are domestic real estate debt not foreign debt.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    pretty much everything on the Libertas website [is made up].

Not quite. They haven't made up any policy yet: "The Libertas programme for a better Europe will be published on this site in the coming weeks."

Not quite. They haven't made up any policy yet: "The Libertas programme for a better Europe will be published on this site in the coming weeks."

baddum dshhh!

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    The only point that you made tonight that is valid is that Declan Ganley lives in Ireland.

You were wrong about Kosovo, you were wrong about the veto you were wrong on the role of the commissioner and you were wrong about the currency.

You have provided nothing to back any of your claims everytime someone has pointed to proof that you are wrong you have then proceeded to ignore them and move to a different topic.

pretty much everything on the Libertas website.

I was right on Kosovo - the EU would never have agreed on a plan of action to save Muslims - NATO in particular the US did.

The vetos and the Irish commissioner would have been removed in time had Lisbon been ratified - this is why it was defeated.

The Euros strength vis a vis GBP is hurting people in Ireland - no one in Europe is explaining any of this to Ireland and no one on this forum seems to have been affected by this.

I was right on Kosovo - the EU would never have agreed on a plan of action to save Muslims - NATO in particular the US did.

your lack of knowledge on the kosovo war is astounding, especially the part that Clinton was practically goaded into war by milosevic. Secondly that it was a NATO operation. the freaking leading general was german KLAUS NAUMANN, it was also the first time since ww2 that the luftwaffe flew missions, so your claim that the british and americans led the way sort of falters when there were german and french jets and italian airbases and norweigen special forces. Is this getting through your thick skull yet?

Also wtf are you on about protecting muslims, it was kosovon albanians who were being persecuted, yes they are predominantly muslim, but it was an ethnic cleansing on the scale because of their nationality, Kosovo was a centre of conflict not because they were islamic but because it was under serbian rule despite over 90% of the population is ALBANIAN.

The vetos and the Irish commissioner would have been removed in time had Lisbon been ratified - this is why it was defeated.

Once again what vetos? We loose none of our Council of Europe vetos under Lisbon you have AGAIN failed to name any.
    The Euros strength vis a vis GBP is hurting people in Ireland - no one in Europe is explaining any of this to Ireland and no one on this forum seems to have been affected by this.

oh ffs forget this, I'm not bothering anymore until you post one link supporting what you are saying. NESF and I have both provided links backing up our statements yet you keep saying we are wrong with no evidence.

I want evidence.

Show me bloody evidence of any of your statements because so far you have proven nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Name some of these key areas where we don't have a veto/opt-outs/protocols? Defense? Fiscal matters (i.e. corporation tax)? JHA? Abortion?
    Yes - we still have vetos as Lisbon was not ratified.
    I take it you will oppose any referendum that interferes with our right to those vetos.
    Okay... of those 4 issues I mentioned, tell me what changes under Lisbon? We have the same protections with Lisbon as with Nice. If you believe otherwise, then I'm seriously led to believe that Ganley has added brain-washing to his box of tricks.

Are you going to answer my question? Whatever about your misinformed ramblings on Kosovo and EMU, this to me is the most disquieting point in your posts- Do Ganley supporters still believe all the lies that were spread during the referendum campaign?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Once again, there was no effective framework for the EU to do anything! Did you expect France to independently start a bombing campaign? Or Germany to start marching it's armies to the area? [lol at the outrage that that would cause!] Lisbon, on the other hand, does give much better options on a coordinated defence policy, through Permanent Structured Cooperation.

Advertisement