Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free and clear Call Credit

• 14-03-2009 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hey everyone I'm looking for some advice on saving money.

I'm currently with O2 PAYG and I'm wondering if switching to another network will save me some cash. First a bit of info, I rarely use my phone and would probably top up by €10 every 2 or 3 months, I mainly use webtexts and a landline for calls, the mobile is just for when theres no other way for me to contact someone. Secondly I used to be with vodafone payg about 6-7 years ago, not sure if that makes a differance.

I'm just wondering what would be the best network to switch to in order to get as much free credit as possible. I'm not planning to top up by €20 a month so drip fed credit that depends on that is useless to me. All of the networks seem to require monthly topups to get free credit however I came across an old thread that said if you switched to vodafone and then called them up, you could get €80 free and clear on your account. Is that still the case as it would seem to be the way to go?

Basically my question is, whats the best way to go about getting free/cheap calls. Is there a network I can switch too that will give me a significant amount of free credit without requiring topups or should I just switch to meteor for the cheaper rates and buy top ups as normal?

Oh one last thing, I dont think tesco mobile is an option as I want to be able to make roaming calls when required.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

With vodafone you must topup €20 a month and in one go. Customers who do not top-up with the minimum Top-Up amount prior to their staged credit renewal date will forfeit the staged credit for that particular month.

Why is tesco not an option for you? They do offer roaming at the moment in:

* UK
    * Belgium
    * Cyprus
    * France
    * Greece
    * Portugal
    * Spain
    * USA

They also have a Double topup value offer, which is essentially a Buy €XX and get the same free. But The free credit does expire after 30days, so if you only use it over 2-3 months might not be that great for you. Tesco have a 20cent anytime call rate so do think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

zil wrote: »
    Hey everyone I'm looking for some advice on saving money.

I'm currently with O2 PAYG and I'm wondering if switching to another network will save me some cash. First a bit of info, I rarely use my phone and would probably top up by €10 every 2 or 3 months, I mainly use webtexts and a landline for calls, the mobile is just for when theres no other way for me to contact someone. Secondly I used to be with vodafone payg about 6-7 years ago, not sure if that makes a differance.

I'm just wondering what would be the best network to switch to in order to get as much free credit as possible. I'm not planning to top up by €20 a month so drip fed credit that depends on that is useless to me. All of the networks seem to require monthly topups to get free credit however I came across an old thread that said if you switched to vodafone and then called them up, you could get €80 free and clear on your account. Is that still the case as it would seem to be the way to go?

Basically my question is, whats the best way to go about getting free/cheap calls. Is there a network I can switch too that will give me a significant amount of free credit without requiring topups or should I just switch to meteor for the cheaper rates and buy top ups as normal?

Oh one last thing, I dont think tesco mobile is an option as I want to be able to make roaming calls when required.

All the networks give credit on a drip feed basis now and as far as I know you are only entitled to it once you purchase a minimum top up per month. The days of giving out big lump sums of credit for nothing are long gone.

Best way to get free calls? You'll have to spend more. Either switch to postpay, or you'll have to top up by 20 a month to avail of their free call offers.

By the way, if you top up by 10 euro every two or three months I fail to see why you need to save money?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

jordainius wrote: »
    All the networks give credit on a drip feed basis now and as far as I know you are only entitled to it once you purchase a minimum top up per month. The days of giving out big lump sums of credit for nothing are long gone.

Best way to get free calls? You'll have to spend more. Either switch to postpay, or you'll have to top up by 20 a month to avail of their free call offers.

By the way, if you top up by 10 euro every two or three months I fail to see why you need to save money?!

Lol fair point, however free money is still free and why give a network €10 every 2 months when it could be every 3 or 4 if I switch to someone else at no cost to me. Besides every little helps, especially considering how broke I am at the moment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Move to Meteor or Vodafone, buy a new phone with them that costs over €99, register it online, get the free credit. 90 days later buy an upgrade over €99, register it online, get more free credit, sell the upgrade or the first phone.

Repeat the process every 90 days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

zil wrote: »
    Lol fair point, however free money is still free and why give a network €10 every 2 months when it could be every 3 or 4 if I switch to someone else at no cost to me. Besides every little helps, especially considering how broke I am at the moment :D

You wont have a lot of luck in the current market I'm afraid though. I think networks offer extra credit to customers who port their number over to their network. So maybe you could change networks every few months!

I think Tesco give you twenty euro just for porting your number over.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/KeepYourNumber.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You could look at going with Vodafone prepay, going through their minimum topup each month to get your free credit, availing of free SMS offer as well and then sending the other credit that you're not using to a mate / other half using the Vodafone credit sending system ( I can't remember what it's called, IOU buddy is it?).

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Tesco..Tesco

Move to tesco..

I use my phone only a small bit..But moved to Tesco last month

Not only is it 20cent per minute for landline/mobile..BUT
    when you top up you get double the value..so 10 euro gets you 20 euro of calls..so its really 10 cent a minute

Did loads of research and they are the cheapest (uses o2 network so pretty solid)

BAD POINT
    Only one I can find which is no online text

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

olearydc wrote: »
    Tesco..Tesco

Move to tesco..

I use my phone only a small bit..But moved to Tesco last month

Not only is it 20cent per minute for landline/mobile..BUT
    when you top up you get double the value..so 10 euro gets you 20 euro of calls..so its really 10 cent a minute

Did loads of research and they are the cheapest (uses o2 network so pretty solid)

BAD POINT
    Only one I can find which is no online text

Regards

No webtexts is a big kick in the teeth, I probably send quite a few each day so im not sure if they extra savings on calls/texts outweights not having webtexts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Poor CS with Tesco is also a problem. I was with them for about 6 months and suddenly I could receive no calls at all. After a week of fapping around I had enough of them with their excuses and ported to Meteor. They made no effort to resolve the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

Move to Meteor or Vodafone, buy a new phone with them that costs over €99, register it online, get the free credit. 90 days later buy an upgrade over €99, register it online, get more free credit, sell the upgrade or the first phone.

Repeat the process every 90 days...

No. You can only receive one set of credits at any one time.

Secondly, you want to spend less than €10 every 2 months? Don't use a phone. Get rid of it. Why would a network give you this free and clear call credit you speak of?

Also, are you actually being serious?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mr. Walker

hey, what you said about the 80e free with vodafone. I have seen it happen but couldn't guarantee that it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭underpants

you could switch to meteor.
    Then you'd get 20 euro credit for registering with them and 10 euro the month after.
    That 30 euro would keep you going for almost a year!

then you could probably switch to another provider and avail of free credit received through them for being a new customer!

Advertisement