Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me...

Options
  • 14-03-2009 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭

Or is the current Co2 scare growing steadily into a mass marketing drive, becoming nothing more than an extension of the consumerist culture of the last 50-60 years, and that it is this consumerist culture and it's ability to hoover up the resources of this planet and leave nothing but piles of waste and trash behind that is the true danger to the planetary environment.

And yet, when you point this out to any Carbon-huffing Greennick, they look at you the same way Germans look at holocaust deniers....

Never mind the fact that regardless of whatever the hell we do, the climate will change quite happily of it's own accord. It's done so quite contentedly for millions of years, and will continue to do so for millions of years to come. Whether it's man driven or not is irrelevant, climate change happens anyway.

Oh well.... we're doomed.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It's the era we're in - full of idiots looking for a cause in their sad lives.
    The Greenhouse Effect/Ozone Layer/Global Warming/Climate Change scare changes angle every few years.
    Since when did CO2 become a poison? Supposed to be good for plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Totally agree.
    The whole thing has exploded out of proportion and the scientists who agrue against it aren't given the time of day.

It's just taken as gospel for fear of damaging the masive industry that has spawned from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Yeah i agree... like whatever happened to global cooling like?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Its a very real threat to us whether you think so or not.
    There are people/companies however will use any angle to increase business.

• Advertisement

Its a very real threat to us whether you think so or not.
    There are people/companies however will use any angle to increase business.

It just annoys me those ads that claim you're saving the world if you use a particular product.

Like on Newstalk theres an ad for a wine supplier and its all these people saying 'we're making the world greener' just because they ship their products rather than fly them. Those marketing guys must be retarded like seriously, its fcuking stupid! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Try teling them the biggest problem is the human population growing out of control....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Nolanger wrote: »
    Since when did CO2 become a poison? Supposed to be good for plants.

Well it began around the time that you don't get science.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

mmmmkay...

nurse,this visit is over now, i wanna go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Daemonica

No. I will not believe that we are all doomed. The very fact that intelligent Irish people are discussing these issues and can see the men behind the curtains proves outright that we know exactly what is going on. It honestly makes me feel so much better about the current state of affairs in the country to look at threads like this and know that I'm not alone in seeing things for how they really are.

But sadly, there is little point in discussing these issues without actual means and plans to evocate them from established society altogether. Meaningless though they are, I believe that they inhibit human evolution.

Everyone knows that in a recession, the guys at the top of the economic ladder get scared about their assets and tend to develop morally unsound marketing strategies that focus on what a person fears as opposed to what they need. I don't need a gas mask for the rising levels in Co2, I just need to go for a walk in the ring of Kerry to remind myself that there is still plenty of fresh air to go around.

It actually mimics the tactic the yanks tend to take, the terror approach I call it. Simply put, you scare the public about some totally minuscule issue that doesn't effect us at all. Then you bombard them with the "what if?" scenario in the media.

Create some chaos about any random thing and everyone freaks out completely.

• Advertisement

And just to add, I don't think it is about saving the world or anything like that. It is about waking up and realizing what is bull**** and what actually matters.

Science is the way forward to be sure, but you gotta educate yourself in it's basic principles so as not to be bull****ted by others trying to make a quick euro off you.

Point: They try to say the co2 level is dangerously high, yet it actually is not the case at all. 10 years ago, the planet contained Nitrogen (78%); Oxygen (21%); Argon (0.94%); Carbon dioxide (0.04%).

The c02 level has risen by about .1 percent altogether since then. Ideally we want to keep it a minimum, but buying products whoring themselves as "safe" is not the answer.

If you respect the environment, then simply don't litter it, use recycling bins and use a compost bin for uneaten food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

OP I agree with your point that the climate will change with or without us, but you cannot deny the strong body of evidence that supports mans hand in speeding it up. yes it can and will happen but we are simply intensifying the situation. and yes someone will always be enterprising and trying to make money out of a less than perfect situation.

However we do need to stop abusing fossil fuels like there is an endless unlimited supply of them.
    We do need to recylce alot more and alot more often and not half heartedly either for the rate we are consuming , it may be too little too late.
    A major attitude overhaul is needed if we want to save our planet or indeed all we will be left with is wasteland.

Exactly OP! We should phase out fossil fuels altogether, the point I'm making is that this is NOT possible for one reason. There is no political / economic will for this to happen. At the end of the day, it is going to take a LOT more then protests and leaflets to end fossil fuels. I think what you and I are really hoping for is a resource based economy, where the country can effectively power itself infinitely through sustainable energy like Geothermal or Biomass. The requirements for these are far less than fossil fuels on a whole, and save you a lot of money. I also think rubbish is a serious issue. I'm going to go ahead and say that every time I see a big pile of rubbish it is usually left there by construction workers and technicians fixing the road and lines. It is especially prominent on the newly developing bypasses around the country.

Wow dudes, this seems awfully scientific and serious for AH!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

In other news. Set for April 7's budget, the Green Party have proposed a tax on breathing. The more you breath, the more Co2 you exhale.

Advertisement