Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a 2 gang switch with a 2 gang dimmer ?

Options
  • 14-03-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

I thought I would replace my 2 gang switch with a 2 gang dimmer, and thought it would be easy, but I just don't get it :confused: Am I being thick :confused:

Each module on the back of the dimmer has only 2 terminals but there are 3 wires for each of the 2 lights that come in to the back of the switch unit. How am I supposed to connect up the 3 wires from each light to only 2 terminals on each of the dimmer modules :(:confused: Have I just got the wrong dimmer :confused:

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ponyirl

flynnboy wrote: »
    Hi

I thought I would replace my 2 gang switch with a 2 gang dimmer, and thought it would be easy, but I just don't get it :confused: Am I being thick :confused:

Each module on the back of the dimmer has only 2 terminals but there are 3 wires for each of the 2 lights that come in to the back of the switch unit. How am I supposed to connect up the 3 wires from each light to only 2 terminals on each of the dimmer modules :(:confused: Have I just got the wrong dimmer :confused:

Thanks for any help
    your switches must be two way switched if so you'll need to get a two way dimmer . watch out for the load involved too most cheaper dimmers are only fit to switch 250 watts. p

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Hi Ponyirl

You are right they are 2 way switches, I misinterpreted the description on the pack thinking it was for 2 way.

Thanks for your help

Advertisement