Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much ping difference between wired and wireless?

Options
  • 14-03-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭

If any, how much of drop in ping would you get with a wired connection compared to wireless?

I get alot of lag when playing my ps3 online, if i was able to hook it up wired would i get much of a difference in ping times to say, NY?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Should be almost no noticeable difference. i.e less than 1ms. It makes no difference whether its NY or London anyway. Why don't you try wired for yourself and see if there's any improvement?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wireless can cause lag, jutt try and see, get a cat5 cable or w/e you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I say this as much as I can to as many people as I can......

If you can wire, do.

You only have to look at 802.11 the wrong way and it will throw a hissy fit. So much can slow it down.

Stick with Cat5 if you can, it will treat you well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

There shouldn't be much difference once you have a good signal and don't have too many obstacles between, I get 1ms pinging my own router, same as wired.Doing a full speed file transfer over Wi-Fi (G) and the latency only rises to 2ms or 3ms. As for gaming on a server based in New York, that will be a bit laggy anyway(about 90ms) because of the distance.Best to use the nearest servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Hi, I had similar issues when when wireless with the PS3, lag, trouble finding games, updates taking ages, getting signed out, etc. I then wired it as my xbox's are wired.....WOW couldn't believe the improvement on the PS3....if you google PS3 wireless issues you will see it seems to be best to wire it, especially for gaming. If you can't run wires you could buy homeplugs like these http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0622440/Trail/searchtext%3EBELKIN.htm. I hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or not buy Homeplugs as they mess up everyones radio reception.

Especially not buy Belkin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

In my experience, never buybelkin anything

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

See for yourself.

SSH into your router and ping two devices. One wired and one wireless.

Advertisement