Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iridium cheaper than eircom / Vodafone!! fact

• 14-03-2009 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

hi folks, this is v interesting, was calling my brother who is overseas in africa ( lucky fecker) using eircom landline, eircom were charging over 2 euros per minute to call, and the same with vodafone, mad money........

so i whipped out my trusty iridium 9555 and it only costs $1.25 / €0.97.. per min to call.

what rip off...... with eircom and voda charging huge money....

how can voda/eircom justify their prices when Iridium offers the same at over 50% cheaper!!!:D

:mad: to eircom/voda:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thats a crazy amount to pay. Use something like 13434.ie. Calls for most countries are only 1cent a minute from your landline. You can also set it up to use it from your mobile and slightly dearer rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Honda08 wrote: »
    so i whipped out my trusty iridium 9555 and it only costs $1.25 / €0.97.. per min to call.

Is there any other charge? Such as a call setup, line rental, minimum call charge, service charge, etc.?

If not, why aren't we all using satellite phones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

Al O'Peica wrote: »
    Is there any other charge? Such as a call setup, line rental, minimum call charge, service charge, etc.?

If not, why aren't we all using satellite phones?

well i pay $37 usd per month line rental.
    calls anywhere $1.25 per minute..no setup fee.

iridium to iridium is 60 cents usd........);

with eircom and voda prices it just shows you rip off Ireland is alive and well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Why don't you just sign up for Skype or Blueface? They are definitely cheaper.

Why don't you just sign up for Skype or Blueface? They are definitely cheaper.

skype doesent work, latency is too high......so it wouldnt be a runner.

internet is non existant except for iridium / satellite based internet at the far end.

);

• Advertisement

well i pay $37 usd per month line rental.
    calls anywhere $1.25 per minute..no setup fee.

Ouch, that's a bit pricey. 28 Euro a month or so?

Can you send texts with a satellite phone? Are they cheap/expensive?
    with eircom and voda prices it just shows you rip off Ireland is alive and well!

I disagree. If you factor in the line rental, plus deals the operators have here on calls within Ireland, they are not as bad as you are making out.

Can you send texts with a satellite phone? Are they cheap/expensive?

I disagree. If you factor in the line rental, plus deals the operators have here on calls within Ireland, they are not as bad as you are making out.

so you think over 2 euro a minute to call a foreign country is good value?:D
    the issue i raised was making a call to a foreign country.

yes you can send email etc direct from the phone,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Eircom landline is €25 a month, so less than the iridim subscription

Using a normal eircom landline + 13434.ie is cheaper than using iridim making a call to a foreign country. Calls are 1cent against 97cent

Davy wrote: »
    Eircom landline is €25 a month, so less than the iridim subscription

Using a normal eircom landline + 13434.ie is cheaper than using iridim making a call to a foreign country. Calls are 1cent against 97cent

well thats fair enough, but i was comparing operator against operator not a mix of 2 different ones, just to make a call..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How much is the phone to buy?

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    How much is the phone to buy?

paid just short of $1600 usd for it.

if youre buying via the net, from usa , add vat at 21.5% to it, and duty at around 13% to above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

the 9555 is a fairly daycent phone but i wouldnt use one over here.

thuraya eco sim is even cheaper - 39c to any country except a couple of unpopular ones. a lot of these countries in africa have corrupt government telco monopolies and charge a fortune for interconnect so not a whole lot will be saved using VoiP or the like

is it not cheaper to get the 500 minute prepaid thing on iridium rather than paying the line rental?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

why not dial 0818242424 from your landline or 1530300300 and then enter the destination number. from your mobile itll cost about 30c and from your landline it'll be about 6c a min:) works great from eircom landlines and vodafone mobiles:)

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    why not dial 0818242424 from your landline or 1530300300 and then enter the destination number. from your mobile itll cost about 30c and from your landline it'll be about 6c a min:) works great from eircom landlines and vodafone mobiles:)

are those things any good? i remember using one last year and the quality was fairly brutal and you had to pay to listen to the phone ring...

No, no. I fully agree over €2 a minute is expensive. :)

However, when you factor in the cost of a satellite handset at around €1200, it does cast a different light on the matter.

No, no. I fully agree over €2 a minute is expensive. :)

However, when you factor in the cost of a satellite handset at around €1200, it does cast a different light on the matter.

well i already had the phone, so thats not an issue..

the issue here is why are eircom / voda charging so high to make a call to a foreign country, and a satellite operator can do it over 50% cheaper!

towel401 wrote: »
    the 9555 is a fairly daycent phone but i wouldnt use one over here.

thuraya eco sim is even cheaper - 39c to any country except a couple of unpopular ones. a lot of these countries in africa have corrupt government telco monopolies and charge a fortune for interconnect so not a whole lot will be saved using VoiP or the like

is it not cheaper to get the 500 minute prepaid thing on iridium rather than paying the line rental?

the thuraya phone doesent work all over the world... the iridium does!

the 500min card expires after 12 months, and if you dont top up in time you loose the unused minutes.. believe it or not the monthly bill works out cheaper than the 500min prepaid... and with the monthly bill, the sim never gets deactivated..and you get cheaper per min rate with the monthly bill..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the issue here is why are eircom / voda charging so high to make a call to a foreign country, and a satellite operator can do it over 50% cheaper!

Why can anyone in any walk of life do anythign cheaper than someone else?
    well i already had the phone, so thats not an issue..!

Unless they are giving them out for free then yes it very much is an issue. Buying a €50 PAYG phone will leave you a lot of callls before you make up the difference in price of the phone alone.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why can anyone in any walk of life do anythign cheaper than someone else?

Unless they are giving them out for free then yes it very much is an issue. Buying a €50 PAYG phone will leave you a lot of callls before you make up the difference in price of the phone alone.

an oldskool iridium phone doesn't cost that much anymore. and will be collectors items in a few years time since they're the first handheld satphones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Where could I get one?

• Advertisement

ebay

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Where could I get one?

are you after new or second hand?

be careful with ebay, lots of well used refurbished models there being sold as second hand.....not a great bargain really

if you frequent the us a bit, loads of places to buy, and save a packet.

check www.iridium.com for international dealer list

Advertisement