Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you don't like late march/april sleet/snow..then look away now...

Options
  • 14-03-2009 8:23pm

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1441.gif

A week away and inside FI but look at how it's trending!

Yuk! the UKMO has something similar

Wintry showers galore and penetrative night frosts galore in that feed,the tap is connected to the siberia pipe :eek:

Say a prayer it won't happen :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

In english please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

jaffa20 wrote: »
    In english please.

Get a brolly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It also means that if conditions are cold enough, those showers will fall as sleet or snow. Its forecast for next friday and is too far out to predict accurately hence the term used 'FI' = fantasy island, and not the cheesy 70's tv show either :pac:;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

for those of you not familiar with this chart:
    what you are looking at is the northern hemisphere on its side say.the 1000 line at bottom is where all of us live(called troposphere)then as you move up you go into the next layer of atmosphere called stratosphere and its different heights.its a wind chart so you can see red and blue,red being westerlies and blue being easterlies.we live between 50n and 60n and you can then see that we are forecast to be in an easterly flow(blue blob).
    just thought i'd highlight this.its something different to moniter.

ecmwfzm_u_f192.gif

dry and frosty nights ahead.

that high doesn't seem to wanna back away so cold pool gets pushed south still.

gfs-0-162.png?6

ecm no better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This better not happen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Don't worry..we all know those idiot weather forecasters haven't a clue about the weather.
    All they do is cover themselves by saying "today there'll be some frost/snow early in the morning giving way to sunny spells in the afternoon interpersed by falls of rain/sleet. All in all a nice day.
    Guaranteed the weather is going to pick up and I predict April will be a heatwave again this year.

MONDAY MARCH 16TH

ITS COMING, GET READY.
    The last gasp of winter for a 10-15 day period will be in full swing for much of Europe next week at this time. This is a classic way to get ALL the continent cold. The major ridge along the west coast of Europe has held on longer than I bargained for, but arctic air is pouring south into the trough to its east. The ridge will "squeeze" northwest and allow the upper flow to turn northeast through much of Europe allowing a monster Scandinavian high to build southwest and turn the first 2 weeks of calender spring ( we are already out of the coldest 3 month period of the year) the coldest in many a year for year Europe. Lets hope everyone has their heating bills paid

Rukm1441.gif

Not on sunday anyway...
    Thats more like it..

Take that Mr Bastardi :D

As I say-he chooses his words carefully.
    That image above is FI but notice how it is a scandi high [just not a classic one] and there is a NE blast into Eastern France and Germany...
    We remain fine and dandy!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I ran a manual Forecast on my wxsim out to next Tuesday and based on current data there was no really cold nights, be interesting to watch to it over the next few days and see how accurate it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Rtavn2161.png

it looks like mike65 is going to get his wish:mad: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

High pressure looking like hanging around our shores for the remainder of march at least , think its safe to say spring has arrived , but for how long , april usually has a wintry surprise or two for us .

Would also hope its not a pattern repeat of 07 ,if im not mistaken summer arrived and departed in april :mad: , and as for summer 08 i missed it ........was indoors that day .

45439007.png

If we get good weather in April and into May, the chances are the rest of the Summer will be lousy. That has been my experience over the years anyway.:D

hey lads big change,ecm now showing the cold.

ecm500.192.png

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Looking forward to one last wintry blast :D:D

yep thats more like it,won,t accept anything less than this,time for the beers now.:D

car out,now where's that feckin road:D

amazing-pictures-of-heavy-snow27.jpg

Models are a joke atm , doing more flip flopping and backtracking than the regulars in my local at closing time, our HP cell almost ending up in newfoundland :D ,betcha another downgrade within the next 36 hrs ,( only i beer per person though ).

agree they are a joke,very inconsistent at the mo.but im not giving up on this one just yet,twas a very promising turnaround on ecm today so this i think might just hold

Yes i agree , it could hold , but im not a fan of cold northerlys as we head into april , lambing season /growth etc 'imby' , the potential is lost by then , but if (and a big if) this chart comes off its going to be a big shock to the system , nice chart though , imagne if this happened 8 weeks ago :eek:.

ecm500.192.png

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Models are a joke atm , doing more flip flopping and backtracking than the regulars in my local at closing time, our HP cell almost ending up in newfoundland :D ,betcha another downgrade within the next 36 hrs ,( only i beer per person though ).

or so you hope:p hopefully not and you end up snowed in for turning your back on snow:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think I may go get a new heater for the greenhouse!

This isn't going to be good for those who have taken to having a Veg plot this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 yansnow

it will b cold alrite but dont knw about precip now hope so.

or so you hope:p hopefully not and you end up snowed in for turning your back on snow:P

My WS is reading 17.2C ATM :) , the 2oc report from valentia is 17 c , summer has arrived :pac: ,yipee .....did someone mention snow :D.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Now then lads did i say 36 hrs to a downgrade, well i was wrong , more like 6 hrs :D , no end to spring in sight ;) , make mine an extra cold beer :p, it tastes better in warm weather :).

Rtavn1681.png

kerry1960 wrote: »
    My WS is reading 17.2C ATM :) , the 2oc report from valentia is 17 c , summer has arrived :pac: ,yipee .....did someone mention snow :D.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp
    heh my max here today in the cold East was only 10.9c in an Easterly :p mind you it's a beautifull day!

Still plenty of snow patches on lugnaquilla that I can see outside too which is amazing.

Oh and as regards the evolving spring... prayers work ;)

heh my max here today in the cold East was only 10.9c in an Easterly :p mind you it's a beautifull day!

Still plenty of snow patches on lugnaquilla that I can see outside too which is amazing.

Oh and as regards the evolving spring... prayers work ;)

Hit 18.4 here @3oc , in relative terms scorching :).
    As for snow patches still on the wicklow mts jeez thats amazing , lack of rainfall also helping no doubt .

gfs now showing alot of snow potential fi.i,ll believe it when i see it.prob disappear in next run but the charts are lookin alot colder than they were.

prectypeuktopo.png

gfs-1-168.png?6

gfs-1-264.png?6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

When are we to expect this weather redsunset.

to be honest im not expecting what the charts are currently showing and i stress currently,all will no doubt change somewhat however if it does materialise we're talkin next week

• Advertisement

Anorher flip after several flops , the models more in agreement on a breakdown from the north , hmmmm , when did we last see a greenland high of 1055 mbs ,these charts starting to look familiar by now , one seems to appear every week this winter , imo they could be right this time about some sort of northerly , but will it be a cool, or a cold one .

Rtavn1801.png

Advertisement