Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trish deseine

• 14-03-2009 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

anyone heard of her or seen her programme? she is deadly
    so unpretentious and natural in her approach, and fabulous food.

Can't stand the accent on Rachel Allen, can't even watch her anymore

Try and catch her shes apparently lauded in France by the top food critics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Yeh,I watched her a couple of times and think shes realy good. No crap,just honest and real. So many chefs try to imply cooking is brain surgery when its not. I have to agree about Rachel Allen. Fierce hoity toity!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

She had her own series on RTE a while back, they have some of her recipes on the site HERE

(I have to agree about Rachel Allen too :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I have to agree about Rachel Allen. Fierce hoity toity!

i still would though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

longshanks wrote: »
    i still would though

You're not in After Hours, those kind of comments have no place here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Trish's Book is really good too., I think it called Trish's French kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I find her show patronising and she doesn't really give any good tips. 'Any good butcher will be able to get you a full duck foie gras'. Yes, of course, Jack will you throw me out that aul liver you got in for me. Between stabbing a cooking steak with a fork and trying to spend as much as she can in Bon Marche on a lunch - I generally end up shouting at the tv.

On the other hand - people are giving out about Rachel Allen in the same breath. Her recipes work, they are easy to follow. She gives great tips, and you can get all the ingredients in your local shop and if you can't, she'll give you alternatives. Her latest show 'Bake' is fantastic - she gives so many useful tips and tricks for baking. So bleedin what if you don't like her accent. I think she comes across very well and I love watching her on Market Kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

I made a chocolate cake from a recipe of Trish's before- it was very dull, and was far outshined by a Nigella fondant cake I made the week after. I found her show just generally boring. I also made her French beef stew as well, and it wasn't amazing.

I think Rachel Allen comes across really well as in just generally nice. Some parts of her books relating to family etc. are so stiff though, but I quite like her accent (and it's hilarious to pull the piss out of). I think I laughed for a good 20 mins with a friend of mine when Rachel went to the "pob".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I can't stand Rachel Allen. Even saw her at the Electric Picnic and she made me want to drive a parsnip through her brain.

Trish is my hero. Apart from being obsessed with French food, I do like her approach to teaching cookery. At the same time, she's selling an image of France and their 'love affair' with food a little too strongly, but it's clear that she's providing simple and delicious recipes for both dinner parties and family feeding. That said, as pretentious as the French can be about food, they do genuinely talk about it on a par with politics and have a passion for good ingredients.

I agree that her recipes are simple but that doesn't mean they don't require good technique, which is the fun of cookery! It's all about flavour!

I've made many of Trish's recipes. My favourites would have to be onion soup, pot au feu, coq au vin and tarte tatin. Simple and delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I like Trish - I've met her - she's really good fun and nice with it.

Some of the food she does is really good too - although I find it all a bit 'safe'.

But what amazes me it how someone can cook as much as she does and never develop any knife skills!
    Maybe practice doesn't make perfect!

Her new Provence show has some more adventurous dishes - should be on soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I like her, she's not annoying like most other telly cooks.

Did anyone see her programme last night about the French patisseries and making homemade truffles, wow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

She has an article in IMAGE magazine every month with recipies ect.

Advertisement