Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifi help????????????

Options
  • 14-03-2009 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

i just got the "hi-gain usb wireless-g dish network adapter" and it will connect and send data but not receive data?????????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ballyrick

connect to my wifi.....

it will connect to the network but not the internet.....

ISP? Hardware? Connection type?

"I can't connect to my wifi" is meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

So it will let you connect to a wifi network but not the internet. Does the network you are connecting to have internet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

He is beaming his BB across the road and it will receive a connection but it can't access the actual Internet.

See, I'm psychic :)

toe_knee wrote: »
    So it will let you connect to a wifi network but not the internet. Does the network you are connecting to have internet?
    Yes

Amocom Wireless. His personal network

He asked me for help, I told him to post here.

Open up a command prompt and type ipconfig /all. Make sure you are getting an IP Address, Default gateway and DNS address.

Actually while you are in the command prompt Type in tracert 4.2.2.1 This will show you where your connection is falling over

i did but it was wrong so i changed it to manual ip...

• Advertisement

ballyrick wrote: »
    i did but it was wrong so i changed it to manual ip...

When you entered your IP manually did you make sure you filled in all the details like DNS and secondary DNS and gateway

this came up (1 * * * request timed out
    2 * * * request timed out
    3* * * request timed out
    4* * * request timed out) exe

What's the IP address of the router? Are you in the same range, and can you ping your ISP's DNS server?

When you entered your IP manually did you make sure you filled in all the details like DNS and secondary DNS and gateway

yes i did. i got a sheet with all the details on it with dns ********* ip********** exe

this came up (1 * * * request timed out
    2 * * * request timed out
    3* * * request timed out
    4* * * request timed out) exe

Sounds like you are not connected to the network at all. Find out the IP address of the router. Make sure your PC is in the same range i.e If the router is 192.168.1.254 make sure your PC's IP address is 192.168.1.x. Once you have that much done try to ping the router from your PC.

[What's the IP address of the router? Are you in the same range, and can you ping your ISP's DNS server?] i know the ip of the router..not sure...i dont know

[What's the IP address of the router? Are you in the same range, and can you ping your ISP's DNS server?] i know the ip of the router..not sure...i dont know
    ^^

It should be 192.168.1.1

i cant ping the dns

barnicles wrote: »
    ^^

It should be 192.168.1.1
    my computer is 192.168.1.1 .........yes

Your computer should not be 192.168.1.1, that's probably the router. You have an IP conflict if you've set it to that, try something like 192.168.1.2 (or anything from 2 to 255).

• Advertisement

ya that is the router my one is 192.168.1.9

jor el wrote: »
    Your computer should not be 192.168.1.1, that's probably the router. You have an IP conflict if you've set it to that, try something like 192.168.1.2 (or anything from 2 to 255).

Pick something higher. like 192.1681.11.219. Just in case there are other PC's or devices on the network and using DHCP. The lower ip addresses normally go first depending on the DHCP setup

ya that is the router my one is 192.168.1.9

Was it on 192.168.1.9 or have you just changed it. Anyway try ping the router now and see if you get a reply. If you do try the tracery 4.2.2.1 again and see what you get

Pick something higher. like 192.1681.11.219. Just in case there are other PC's or devices on the network and using DHCP. The lower ip addresses normally go first depending on the DHCP setup

no i set them up my self there is notting on 192.168.1.9

im looking at the wireless network connection status now and it says "18,496 bytes sent 0 recived" why is this?

i pinged the router and it said
    "request timed out.
    request timed out.
    request timed out.
    request timed out. packets: sent = 4 , recived= 0 lost=4...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jwphill

Hey ballyrick I'm also with amocom here in clare we're having the same issue with my network a can connect locally but not to the Internet ive checked my settings and connections and am having the same issues as you...

Is it possible that the problem is on amocom's end? My internet connection went down at about 8:20 last night and still is not back up I'm currently posting via my phones edge connection

ya my one went down too last night but it came back 5min later and after that i could not connect to it on my laptop witch was working before..

Lads I would contact amocom. Sounds like a problem with them. If you are unable to ping there router there is an issue with the connection between your router and theirs. 2 people with the same issue would lead me to believe your issue is with amocom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jwphill

Hey just thought I'd let you know I managed to get through to an engineer at amocom. They're apperantly having a huge network problem on their end. Should be back late afternoon or this evening. But don't quote me on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Run the tracert like a previous poster advised. This will show you where the connection is breaking down.

Advertisement