Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Irish People copying americans!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Berty wrote: »
    I blame Spin Fm for encouraging them to speak like twats.
    Well if you're speaking of SPIN SOUTH WEST I couldn.t agree with you more!!!!!!!!

Peppapig wrote: »
    and wearing those sick out of date converse shoes.

Saying things like " Check it out " or "Pretty" eg : thats pretty cool.
    :mad:
    Any thoughts?

how the hell do you have a problem with converse?

or having an issue with people saying, "check it out" and "that's pretty cool"..? jesus, hate stuff much for no reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I have found that when people generalise like that that they actually show themelves be idots themselves.

I'll let you figure that one out............:pac:

I hate American 'slang' as discussed like overused phrases by them like 'awesome','totally','rad' etc etc...

But give me an American accent any day off the week over a tinker/skanger one or D4(ohh mii gawd loike)!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

just repalce "a" with "o" and you can converse with these types

mork = mark

pork = park

dort = dart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

ClioV6 wrote: »
    yes, hating american culture means I hate every single thing an american is responsible for.

**** the internet!
    :rolleyes:

What does the internet have to do with America? It was invented by an english man and first used in CERN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

wearing those sick out of date converse shoes.

What's wrong with Cons?
    They were worn long before the D4 culture discovered them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Leprachaun wrote: »
    What does the internet have to do with America? It was invented by an english man and first used in CERN.

....based on American military technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Does it annoy you when some Irish people particularily teens copy american culture. A lad in my school saying "dumpster" and wearing those sick out of date converse shoes. Are they just embarresed about their culture or what?
    Especially when they call the Gardaí "cops". Jesus come on. Saying things like " Check it out " or "Pretty" eg : thats pretty cool.
    :mad:
    Any thoughts?

No, it doesn't annoy me. Why is it so hideously offensive that some slang phrases used in America are used here too? And what's wrong with Converse shoes?

Frankly, I'd be more worried about the uber-capitalist "live to work" Americanisation of the rest of the world, rather a kid saying "dumpster" instead of "bin". Jesus, I'm comfortable enough with my identity not to care if somebody says something is "totally awesome."
    Chewie wrote: »

Why yes. . . yes you are. . . But aren't people entitled to buy and drive what they want? no? :rolleyes:

Of course they are. But the poster wasn't saying they weren't entitled to drive whatever they want, or that their cars should be re-possessed or something. He just saying he doesn't personally like them.
    RonMexico wrote: »
    How dare they and how dare the millions of Americans who will be celebrating Irish culture in the coming week. What are they thinking!

I think they usually celebrate a weird bastardized version of Irish culture that's more "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" rather than anything remotely resembling Irish culture.
    You clearly mean Dundum shopping mall

:rolleyes:

I've never heard anyone refer to it as that.
    latchyco wrote: »
    But then ireland is probably subjected to more Americana culture than any other european country . Like secretly, every other Irish person wants to be an American /Australian / Canadian anyway ......right ?

Probably. But that's due, imo, to a lack of self-confidence as a nation.

For the record:
    I am not trying to defend Americans (most are idiots) or American culture (because I don’t believe there is such a thing).
    I am not an American, but have lived in the states for 16 years.

While you may have lived there for sixteen years, I doubt you have met all, or even "most" Americans, so to say that "most Americans are idiots" is a bit unfair.
    Most American parents can’t understand half the Sh1t that comes out of their children’s mouth. (television IS to blame for this)

This is their fault however, because most American parents do not have any time to spend with their children and thus sit them down in front of the television to keep them out of the way. (tv = babysitter / mom / dad / grandparents / social interaction / education)

The same as most Western countries really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

....based on American military technology.

Ok but that american military technology wasn't 'the internet'. It just played a part in the period leading up to the invention of the internet,the same way another british man invented the first electronic computer and a german man invented the first modern computer.

'The internet' was not invented by americans.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Spot on OP!

It feckin drives me mad seeing dem yanks acting the maggot with our language. Tis feckin called English, not American, right thickos? Seeing all those Irish gobshites, young fellas and young wans alike trying to banjax de language... jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Sister emigrated to america recently and my niece is learning to speak american so everything is pretty and she has a mommy but i still love my little yankee niece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

I bloody hate when they use them.
    I've a friend who watches about 10 american series a week and his vocabulary is full of american words bloody anoying.
    I think there is some study going on about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

loads of people wear converse and call gaurds 'cops' not just kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

A whore............oh right, eh....dude?

Valley girl

another valley girl

Like a shopping whore

You know thats not his main point.
    He is on about the

vacation
    right now
    at the minute(english soccer fans)
    already as in die already.
    trash
    store
    My bad
    Obviously most this board using them, bigger percentage of social misfits and nerds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

That's quite unusual, I didn;t even know that some of the phrases above were of American/British origin :s - Shouldn't you people speak as Gaeilge then, if English language has become so corrupted :D ?

*I should be exempt from the order above, as I'm non-Irish :P

Do you watch alot of american tv shows?Heroes etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Is it annoying to watch people attending St Patrick's Day parades since this was started in the USA as well ?

Just out of curiosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

latchyco wrote: »
    Cosmoplitan Dublin had aspirations perhaps to be like LA ?

We succeeded judging from the urban sprawl and low skyline, the miles of road and the lack of public transport.

Of course the main difference is they were smart enough to put under ground parking in a lot of their buildings or left sufficient space for cars to park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

American culture, wtf is that supposed to mean?

I think people are confusing the culture of America with what they see on the TV, which makes them bigger gob****es than the people who copy the crap they see on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

so its OK to speak British English over American English ? and copy Brit styles over American ?

so its OK to speak British English over American English ? and copy Brit styles over American ?

A lot of people in this country can trace at least one relative that contributed to their gene pool to Britain whether they like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

'Most' Americans are idiots ?

I have found that when people generalise like that that they actually show themelves be idots themselves.

So I might be a little bitter. (ok.. very bitter)
    ..and yes.. saying "most" might be a bit ignorant. (ok.. very ignorant)

However.. why did you move to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

I know this is a thread about americanisms, but i'm afraid for the future. The 'Skins' ideals that the teens will turn too. Imagine all the teenagers popping pills and stealing cars every odd day!! Oh the humanity...........:rolleyes:

:Edit: And talking with a silly skanger english accent :P

I know this is a thread about americanisms, but i'm afraid for the future. The 'Skins' ideals that the teens will turn too. Imagine all the teenagers popping pills and stealing cars every odd day!! Oh the humanity...........:rolleyes:

And talking with a silly skanger english accent

Lol if you believe British media then Skins is just a camera on your average English housing estate :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I always found Skins to be fairly representative of the youth of today. Crazier stuff excluded.

I did most of the things they do when I was that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

ClioV6 wrote: »
    I don't give a fúck whether everyone gets them.

they're still ridiculous and not needed for 99% of the people who drive them on their 'school run' bollocks.

I bet you'd just love one but can afford one :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Hogzy wrote: »
    Yes they are... Im expressing my opinion on the cars in question...

The people iv seen who own them in Ireland have no use for them whatsoever... They buy them for the bling factor and they would never buy them if they didnt see them on TV or rap videos...

Honestly why would someone want to own an Escalade in Ireland... For the same Price you could have an X5 or a Range Rover... Better car and better MPG

Same Goes for the Dodge Ram... Nissan Navara... Better car and Better MPG

Kind of like people buying particular clothes because they like them and not because they need them isnt it. There is really no need to be jealous of people who can afford anything you cant.

Advertisement