Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Irish People copying americans!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

if you're Irish and own an Obama t-shirt, you're going to get beat up.

Promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Those words are part of the English language and people can use them whatever way they want. It's not as if Ireland's losing it's identity over it.

Get a life OP and worry about something worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

bobbbb wrote: »
    I bet you'd just love one but can afford one :D

You're right, I can afford one.

I prefer having something faster that does better mpg though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

I'd rather be a yank than a culchie, and I don't particularly like yanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

PrivateEye wrote: »
    if you're Irish and own an Obama t-shirt, you're going to get beat up.

Promise.

Who's going to beat them up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

Leprachaun wrote: »
    'The internet' was not invented by americans.
    The internet wasn't invented by any one person. But yes Americans did play a prominent role in it's development. It would be absurd to pretend otherwise.

History timeline

Also CERN was not the first to "use the internet." NASA, USENET, CSnet, and Milnet among others used TCP/IP well before CERN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Terry wrote: »
    Zapa had the hit with ' The valley girl ' back in the 80s which was then a new a phenonom.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Spot on OP!

It feckin drives me mad seeing dem yanks acting the maggot with our language. Tis feckin called English, not American, right thickos? Seeing all those Irish gobshites, young fellas and young wans alike trying to banjax de language... jaysus.

I hope this was a spoof, otherwise I would love to know how they are acting the maggot with "our" language, unless of course you are not Irish, and are English, then you can call english your language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

I hate the way Irish kids are copying American kids by getting obese in record numbers.

English has overtaken french as the most spoken language in the (western) world .Obiously if somebody uses the phrase ' The Queens English ' it doesn't nessacarly mean they are refering to the plummy tones of prince charles and co but the mainstream as used in every day speech .American and Australian spoken English ,like Irish spoken English is just a variation of it , with it's various slang use from region to region .I think the world is a better, more cheerful place for the variations of the language even if people invent their own brand of it to .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

latchyco wrote: »
    English has overtaken french as the most spoken language in the (western) world .

Maybe I'm not doing the math(s) right but when was French ever the most spoken language in the western world? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

somebody including africa in the western world i suppose...the same person that has israel in europe

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    Maybe I'm not doing the math(s) right but when was French ever the most spoken language in the western world? :confused:
    Many places were French was ( is) the main spoken language ie, French Indochina, Canada, Africa , parts of Europe . That was a statistic I got from some time ago ,perhaps when like the English , the French were putting themselfs about the world but perhaps also an overexaduration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Peppapig wrote: »
    Does it annoy you when some Irish people particularily teens copy american culture. A lad in my school saying "dumpster" and wearing those sick out of date converse shoes. Are they just embarresed about their culture or what?
    Especially when they call the Gardaí "cops". Jesus come on. Saying things like " Check it out " or "Pretty" eg : thats pretty cool.
    :mad:
    Any thoughts?
    Wasnt cops a reference to when English policemen wore copper buttons? This led to them being called coppers then cops.

And whats wrong with cons? They're comfortable and arent white knacker runners, so I don't see a downside.

On the other hand the amount of little kids I see playing generic hip hop ****e on their phones and rapping along with it is outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Lirange wrote: »
    The internet wasn't invented by any one person. But yes Americans did play a prominent role in it's development. It would be absurd to pretend otherwise.

History timeline

Also CERN was not the first to "use the internet." NASA, USENET, CSnet, and Milnet among others used TCP/IP well before CERN.

Exactly, the USA created the internet in the US, and the US Military first created the predecessor to the Internet, often referred to as DARPANet(http://www.inetdaemon.com/tutorials/internet/history.shtml).
    The US military and intelligence agencies wanted a real time sharing information network that spanned the country, and perhaps it's allies, yet was not centralized so as to be easy to disable by sabotage or attack - especially by the new nuclear threat. Thus, the routing networks and packet parsing protocols we use nowadays are rooted deeply in DARPA and ARPA research and application almost half a century ago.

Eventually those government agencies expanded to include educational facilities. I was using the internet back in 1988 in college. The figures on that BBC web page are completely incorrect - I was only one of thousands of students at my local University using the Internet. EVERY US university in 1988 had internet access, which is how we shared information between them. By 1991 I was playing games on the Internet that has thousands of players frmo other Universities - named MUD(like Epic at MIT and Eltanin at Cal tech ). MUDs were amongst the first non-government specific agencies to have web pages. However, unless you were familiar with unix or IBM vm/s or DEC's VMS operating systems, you didn't do much with it since it was primarily accessed via a computer monitor and a non-graphical interface.

In 1993, I was in a Laboratory in San Jose State University, California when a coed from Germany showed me something magical - Mosaic( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_(web_browser) ). Now, for the first time in history, ANYONE whom could operate a mouse could navigate the internet. Granted, at that time it still was mainly research, government, and educational systems that used it. Soon after, the US government made laws that allowed private companies to install network access points(NAPs) for use by the general public. NASA Ames(where I did some research for Sun Microsystems in my youth) had already installed a few NAPS/FIX(federal Internet Exchanges) previous to these new laws. The registration of Domain Names for internet use (boards.ie - for example) has been handled mainly by Network Solutions, LLC since it's in 1979(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Solutions), and after the commercial release of internet access was joined by Netnames in 1996 and ICAAN in 1998(by federal law).

That's a totally short history of it, duders. You can follow the links on the internet if ya want to learn about the internet, fer sure ;)

mud.gif

WYK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

So I might be a little bitter. (ok.. very bitter)
    ..and yes.. saying "most" might be a bit ignorant. (ok.. very ignorant)

However.. why did you move to Ireland?

My wife is Irish......as are my step son and my 15 month old son ....as well as most of my family.

Born and raised on the southside of Chicago and incredibly proud of that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

bobbbb wrote: »
    There is really no need to be jealous of people who can afford anything you cant.

You couldnt be more wrong!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

So we're still going on and on and on about those american cars that there is just NO NEED for I see. . . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,943 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hogzy wrote: »
    You couldnt be more wrong!

Us Irish are begrudgers but at the same time we hate criers and whingers for no reason!

We get away with it because we are Irish!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Hogzy wrote: »
    Get off your high horse buddy, Im entitled to free speech and to express my opinion...
    They are stupid and theyre for people who want attention which in my opinion is sad!

Doesn't it say in the AH charter there is no free speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Hi Folks - lighten up.

Sorry that introduction was probably an Americanism. We've been adopting American slang and terminology for generations. Just look up a good dictionary to see how many everyday words originated in the USA.

People were complaining about the corrupting effects of Hollywood and Jazz back in the 20's and 30's of the last century. Then 'twas Rock'n'Roll in the fifties. We've been picking up American slang from the introduction of TV in the sixties. Then there were the American inspired showbands with such Gaelic titles as the Miami, the Nevada, and the Indians.

Most Irish entertainers sing with a faux-American accent - this is nothing new.

Who was the bright spark on this thread that came up with the observation that Americans have no culture. Wha? Most popular culture in the western originates in the USA.

Music - gospel music, Ragtime, Jazz, Country & Western, Blues, Broadway musicals, contemporary folk.

Literature, Robert Frost, Hemingway, Steinbeck, Tennesee Williams, Eugene O'Neill etc. etc.

Hollywood - westerns, ganster movies, chic-fliks.

Food: fast food joints :) May not be haute cuisine - but we copy the American styles.

No American culture - huh!

I don't particularly like the way we slavishly ape everything American, good and bad, but it 'aint' nothing new.

In fact it's kinda cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Mr.Lizard wrote: »

Well in Europe it was the most common second language for a few centuries when it was the language of diplomacy. French literature was once very popular among the educated classes in Europe. It was spoken widely by many of the Russian aristocracy and intelligentsia in preferance to their native language.

Funny thing about some American slang, is that it can be traced directly back to the old English of the pilgrim fathers. The English language changed in the meantime but American english retained many of the expressions that the British English speakers dropped over time.

Gotten being a classic example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Lets not forget that Irish emigration means some of this American slang you complain of probably originated from Ireland :P

Anyway, one thing I dislike is walking down O'Connell street and the one of the most prominent things to see is American fast food companies logo's. Shouldn't we have some laws to ensure these hideous one size fits all buildings and logos blends in with the surrounding architecture?

It just looks fooking horrible and it can't help tourism when people go home and the picture of the spike has a Burgerking in the background.

thebman wrote: »
    Lets not forget that Irish emigration means some of this American slang you complain of probably originated from Ireland :P

So true, there's a book out (google it) that claims that some slang is regurgitated gaeilge. dude and daddio being examples.

thebman wrote: »
    Anyway, one thing I dislike is walking down O'Connell street and the one of the most prominent things to see is American fast food companies logo's. Shouldn't we have some laws to ensure these hideous one size fits all buildings and logos blends in with the surrounding architecture?

It just looks fooking horrible and it can't help tourism when people go home and the picture of the spike has a Burgerking in the background.

There are laws (and blind eyes) in Ireland.
    In (certain parts of) London the rules are enforced with such efficiency that the gestapo would be in awe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Radioman419

This has been a very interesting thread! I'm from The States, and by the way new here. This is my first post.

The American language has alot of different "tongues". From north to south, from east to west, it is very different.

I am from Texas, so have a very strong "Texas" accent. When I go to say, New York City, they kinda look at me...Then laugh...Then answer my question. Plus, being 54 yrs. old, don't use the "New" vocals...

Great board!;)

Welcome radioman419 enjoy the craic! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

So true, there's a book out (google it) that claims that some slang is regurgitated gaeilge. dude and daddio being examples.

Thanks, I know. That's why I mentioned it but I don't have links so I didn't reference it.
    There are laws (and blind eyes) in Ireland.
    In (certain parts of) London the rules are enforced with such efficiency that the gestapo would be in awe.

We really need to kick the crap out of every person responsible for allowing these laws and countless others to be broken and not just by companies like this. Comreg should be first to go IMO. I'd reform the sh** out of that place, they wouldn't know what hit them and it would be a hell of a lot sorer than some pension levy.
    This has been a very interesting thread! I'm from The States, and by the way new here. This is my first post.

The American language has alot of different "tongues". From north to south, from east to west, it is very different.

I am from Texas, so have a very strong "Texas" accent. When I go to say, New York City, they kinda look at me...Then laugh...Then answer my question. Plus, being 54 yrs. old, don't use the "New" vocals...

Great board!;)

Welcome to the site. Loads of forums for every interest here so explore away. After Hours is basically the everything else forum here (with a bit of chaos theory thrown in for a laugh) so don't judge us on everything said here, sometimes the things we say even make sense.

Advertisement