Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Irish People copying americans!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

punk_one82 wrote: »
    ....Maybe they just like the car in question so they buy one? You shouldn't generalise like that.

oh for jaysus sake. Those cars are thick looking and never used for any sports/utility reasons. The people that drive them are inconsiderate arzeholes who sit up higher than the rest of the traffic and can't see properly from inside the cars because of their blindspots. Also they consume loads of diesel and are not economical or environmentally viable.
    Why are you (not just you, the other co2 lovers) even contesting these facts

yellowcurl wrote: »
    The OC has a lot to answer for. Damn american teen show.

the OC was clever though. and it's two main actors didn't fit the OC stereotype. Ah I miss it so!

I have a friend that speaks with an american twang. the funniest thing was when she got a part in a musical set in america and read her lines in a normal southside dublin accent without realising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

ashyle wrote: »
    oh for jaysus sake. Those cars are thick looking and never used for any sports/utility reasons. The people that drive them are inconsiderate arzeholes who sit up higher than the rest of the traffic and can't see properly from inside the cars because of their blindspots. Also they consume loads of diesel and are not economical or environmentally viable.
    Why are you (not just you, the other co2 lovers) even contesting these facts

Exactly the most apt example being the Porsche Cayenne, a car Porsche said they would never build.

http://blogs.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/that_petrol_emotion/2009/03/new_porsche_cayenne_diesel_1.html

I feel sorry for anyone that buys a car that the manufacturer didn't even want to build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

My wife is Irish......as are my step son and my 15 month old son ....as well as most of my family.

Born and raised on the southside of Chicago and incredibly proud of that fact.

Pardon my ignorance.
    As I said.. I have been VERY bitter lately.

I was in Chicago about a month ago; it's an amazing city with a rich history, culture and great people. I had a wonderful time!

Great food!!
    and VERY VERY COLD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Pardon my ignorance.
    As I said.. I have been VERY bitter lately.

I was in Chicago about a month ago; it's an amazing city with a rich history, culture and great people. I had a wonderful time!

Great food!!
    and VERY VERY COLD.

The weather definetly makes you take notice. It is honestly one of the few places in the world where you can get frostbite on top of your sun burn.

We have a very rich history of corrupt politicians that trace their lineage to this mossy rock.

The food .....well ......the food is what makes going back worth the hassle of flying.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Peppapig wrote: »
    A lad in my school saying "dumpster"

This thread is far too long so apologies if someone mentioned this already, but if he was saying that in reference to a "cum dumpster" then it is perfectly acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I am from Ireland. Now, I don't understand why so many people in this country are anti-American or display an anti-American attitude. I know this thread is about Irish people who exhibit American like mannerisms. However, people who take notice of these characteristics and frown upon them should get over themselves. It really bothers me.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

Wow, what an anti-american hate thread.

I am american and have been living here in Ireland for over 10 years. I swap back and forth with slang from the states and here. It just depends on where you picked it up from. Its not necessarily imitating another culture or id be saying 'top of the mornin' to everyone. Does anyone ever consider it annoys americans when irish try to copy our accent.

I think the main reason the OP is ranting is because of jealousy. Maybe they're more popular or in a group youd like to be in. So instead you pick at something insignificant and small like calling a skip a dumpster.

Get a life dude, if something this small upsets you, just wait till you hit the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some American accents are really shexy :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I live with an Irish guy who has never been outside Ireland but has an American accent.
    Take out the trash, eating apple pie....I just thinks its hilarious and slag him alot.

• Advertisement

schween wrote: »
    I live with an Irish guy who has never been outside Ireland but has an American accent.
    Take out the trash, eating apple pie....I just thinks its hilarious and slag him alot.

apple pie is just pie which has apple in it though...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Dude,

Yer weather and food are, like, totally crap and stuff. Which, like, reminds me: How bout those Cubs, huh? ;)

As for the Irish copying Americans, it could be MUCH worse. We have Americans here waltzing around in their pyjama bottoms and slippers, with big "L" stickers that have been on their Puntos for the last 4 years of their lives, screaming "Jaysus!" and "Bullox!" in their front gardens while they swill that horrible, horrible drink you call Cider, chain smoking the even more horrible Silk Cut purples, with a baby under one arm while buying pirated DVDs out of the back of a manky ol' Peugeot van.

Jaysus!

WYK

The weather definetly makes you take notice. It is honestly one of the few places in the world where you can get frostbite on top of your sun burn.

We have a very rich history of corrupt politicians that trace their lineage to this mossy rock.

The food .....well ......the food is what makes going back worth the hassle of flying.

wyk wrote: »
    Dude,

Yer weather and food are, like, totally crap and stuff. Which, like, reminds me: How bout those Cubs, huh? ;)

WYK

I grew up on the southside of Chicago and spent most of my summers at old Comiskey park. So any comments about the Cubs towards me is a waste of your time.

Our weather is amazing. Where else to you get the differences in weather that we see every year? We actually have seasons.

I was in San Antonio in 1993 during the United States Olympic Festival. I was coaching with US Water Polo at the time and house at Lackland Air Force base.

The temperature varied between 99 and 100 degrees during the day with 65% humidity. It hadn't rained in 65 days when we arrived, and didn't rain for the three weeks that we were there. Apparently it rained in September and the entire city nearly washed away.

San Antonio is a great little town. Don't get me wrong, but thats not weather.

As fot the food, you are again, sadly mistaken. Chicago is a metropolis of cultures from around the planet. We have every variety of food you could imagine. I don't even want to get into listing them because I'll start drooling on my keyboard.

I'll take what we have in Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

I grew up on the southside of Chicago

Rented Mule ... not to be intrusive but you wouldn't be Michael Flatley would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

It anoys me a whole lot more how every American seems to be Irish in someway....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

thebman wrote: »
    Lets not forget that Irish emigration means some of this American slang you complain of probably originated from Ireland :P

Anyway, one thing I dislike is walking down O'Connell street and the one of the most prominent things to see is American fast food companies logo's. Shouldn't we have some laws to ensure these hideous one size fits all buildings and logos blends in with the surrounding architecture?

It just looks fooking horrible and it can't help tourism when people go home and the picture of the spike has a Burgerking in the background.
    In all fairness, there have been worse things photographed at the spire.

This has been a very interesting thread! I'm from The States, and by the way new here. This is my first post.

The American language has alot of different "tongues". From north to south, from east to west, it is very different.

I am from Texas, so have a very strong "Texas" accent. When I go to say, New York City, they kinda look at me...Then laugh...Then answer my question. Plus, being 54 yrs. old, don't use the "New" vocals...

Great board!;)
    Welcome aboard.
    It's not all like this. Take a look at the drop downs at the top of the page.
    Also, we do have an American Appreciation thread.

Lirange wrote: »
    Rented Mule ... not to be intrusive but you wouldn't be Michael Flatley would you?

If I was I would be typing with a fake broagh, which he didn't have while attending Brother Rice High School on 99th and Pulaski. lol

Say what you want about him, but when you look at his accomplishments, he really is an amazing guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Some irish people say they hate america but they still go there, buy american product and watch american movie... what an hypocrite...

omyatari wrote: »
    It anoys me a whole lot more how every American seems to be Irish in someway....:eek:

The 1990 US census showed that more Americans traced the lineage to Ireland than any other country in the world. germany was second at the time. ( I didn't see the numbers for 2000)

Well when you think about the fact that this country scattered each generation to the four corners of the globe over the last 160 years it tends to make more sense.

You also have to remember that this country's only source of revenue outside of agriculture was tourism, so the Irish played off of the connection to the 'homeland' when trying to get people to travel overseas.

The other aspect is the fact that the Irish who stayed and raised families always called their children 'irish' as they did to their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If I was I would be typing with a fake broagh, which he didn't have while attending Brother Rice High School on 99th and Pulaski. lol

Say what you want about him, but when you look at his accomplishments, he really is an amazing guy.
    See. You can tell this guy is American due to the lack of begrudgery.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    See. You can tell this guy is American due to the lack of begrudgery.

I had to fake the begrudgery when I got my irish passport.

They nearly caught me out before I complained that the person next to me had a shinier passport.

Mission Accomplished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Gunny Hartman

Hogzy wrote: »
    Yes they are... Im expressing my opinion on the cars in question...

The people iv seen who own them in Ireland have no use for them whatsoever... They buy them for the bling factor and they would never buy them if they didnt see them on TV or rap videos...

Honestly why would someone want to own an Escalade in Ireland... For the same Price you could have an X5 or a Range Rover... Better car and better MPG

Same Goes for the Dodge Ram... Nissan Navara... Better car and Better MPG

It's all down to the crash test ratings!!

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/nissan_navara/317.aspx
    http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/09/2009-dodge-ram-earns-5-stars-for-crash-safety/

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

It annoys me that Irish people now have a globally accessible forum to show the world just how easily annoyed (and bigoted, and racist, and stupid) they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

People who say "hot", when talking about a good looking guy or whatever.

It just doesn't sound right!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Yes, much better the world doesn't know what a bunch of twats a lot of Irish people are.

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    Yes, much better the world doesn't know what a bunch of twats a lot of Irish people are.

Hey ....not to worry ....you're our kinda twats !! :p

Ack! Ya must be more Irish than American - that sarcasm was, like, totally lost on you, fer sure. ;)

Summer and Texas means it's gonna be hot. I doubt any Texan is gonna argue that. It takes tough folks to live here for the summer. In fact, summer and Chicago means it is also going to be hot and humid, too. However, unlike Chicago, we don't have winters here. Between October and April, it is usually about 40-60 for a low, and 50-80 for a high. I'll pass on the 'seasons' because it was 75 today; I'm fine with that. In fact, it's been quite sunny and pleasant all 'winter' here. Never snows, never ices, but it does rain like hell sometimes... we get those huge southern thunder storms that can drop 10" in a day - especially when a hurricane hits the coast. We had 3" the other night; filled the pool. I added fish to keep the skeeters down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_1LloD0JJQ
    Ya can't really see the Gambusia, but the gold fish are in it.

We average about 30-36" of rain a year, usually. If I were you, I would be glad it didn't rain when it was 99* ;) That would have taken it from 99* and 65% humid(which is nothing) to maybe 90* and 100% humid(which is brutal). When it rains here, it is nothing like the softness you get in Ireland, ti is honest-to-goodness southern rain storming. Good for the skin and your lungs, though. Uh...

Too bad about the White Sox last year. SO close. ;) But, hey, don't you have Clemens now? I bought a NY Yankees #22 Clemens Jersey knowing full well he wasn't ever gonna play a single day with them. So it's kind of a neat little curio. I also have a White Sox jersey. What # is Clemens?

Next time you visit, try the BBQ. Closest thing you have up there is maybe KC or StL BBQ(which I also happen to like). In fact, I thought Bandanas, for a franchise, was not so bad. I think what I missed most about living in StL as far as food went woudl be the BBQ and the Kolaches. Most everything else you can get most anywhere else.

WYK
    I grew up on the southside of Chicago and spent most of my summers at old Comiskey park. So any comments about the Cubs towards me is a waste of your time.

Our weather is amazing. Where else to you get the differences in weather that we see every year? We actually have seasons.

I was in San Antonio in 1993 during the United States Olympic Festival. I was coaching with US Water Polo at the time and house at Lackland Air Force base.

The temperature varied between 99 and 100 degrees during the day with 65% humidity. It hadn't rained in 65 days when we arrived, and didn't rain for the three weeks that we were there. Apparently it rained in September and the entire city nearly washed away.

San Antonio is a great little town. Don't get me wrong, but thats not weather.

As fot the food, you are again, sadly mistaken. Chicago is a metropolis of cultures from around the planet. We have every variety of food you could imagine. I don't even want to get into listing them because I'll start drooling on my keyboard.

I'll take what we have in Chicago.

NickNolte wrote: »
    It annoys me that Irish people now have a globally accessible forum to show the world just how easily annoyed (and bigoted, and racist, and stupid) they are.

Ahh come on, now. Yer not stupid. You just seem...petty to us Americans is all. Much of the posts I read here leave me wondering "Do these people actually have lives to lead?" ;) The amount of crying and whinging I experienced in Ireland is simply not accepted here in Texas. If you want to go cry, go to Yore Ma. Your average Texan would be embarrassed for you if they saw you whinging so much in public.

WYK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

People who say "hot", when talking about a good looking guy or whatever.

It just doesn't sound right!!

Especially with a Limerick accent:p Maybe they're saying "shot" and you're just not hearing them properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

wyk wrote: »
    Ack! Ya must be more Irish than American - that sarcasm was, like, totally lost on you, fer sure. ;)

Summer and Texas means it's gonna be hot. I doubt any Texan is gonna argue that. It takes tough folks to live here for the summer. In fact, summer and Chicago means it is also going to be hot and humid, too. However, unlike Chicago, we don't have winters here. Between October and April, it is usually about 40-60 for a low, and 50-80 for a high. I'll pass on the 'seasons' because it was 75 today; I'm fine with that. In fact, it's been quite sunny and pleasant all 'winter' here. Never snows, never ices, but it does rain like hell sometimes... we get those huge southern thunder storms that can drop 10" in a day - especially when a hurricane hits the coast. We had 3" the other night; filled the pool. I added fish to keep the skeeters down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_1LloD0JJQ
    Ya can't really see the Gambusia, but the gold fish are in it.

We average about 30-36" of rain a year, usually. If I were you, I would be glad it didn't rain when it was 99* ;) That would have taken it from 99* and 65% humid(which is nothing) to maybe 90* and 100% humid(which is brutal). When it rains here, it is nothing like the softness you get in Ireland, ti is honest-to-goodness southern rain storming. Good for the skin and your lungs, though. Uh...

Too bad about the White Sox last year. SO close. ;) But, hey, don't you have Clemens now? I bought a NY Yankees #22 Clemens Jersey knowing full well he wasn't ever gonna play a single day with them. So it's kind of a neat little curio. I also have a White Sox jersey. What # is Clemens?

Next time you visit, try the BBQ. Closest thing you have up there is maybe KC or StL BBQ(which I also happen to like). In fact, I thought Bandanas, for a franchise, was not so bad. I think what I missed most about living in StL as far as food went woudl be the BBQ and the Kolaches. Most everything else you can get most anywhere else.

WYK

Okay I know I'm more Irish than American because I didn't understand a fooking word of this post (exageration, I did understand some of them).

Advertisement