Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two arrests over NI police murder

Options
  • 15-03-2009 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7943531.stm

A man and a woman have been arrested over the murder of Northern Ireland policeman Stephen Carroll.
    Pc Carroll, 48, was shot while on duty in Craigavon, County Armagh, on Monday.

The man, 37, and woman, 30, were arrested in the town in connection with "serious terrorist crime", the Police Service of Northern Ireland said.
    Meanwhile officers investigating the murder of two soldiers have come under petrol bomb attack from rioters in nearby Lurgan.
    The officers had been carrying out searches in Lurgan where prominent Republican Colin Duffy was earlier arrested over the killings. He is still being questioned.

Police searched Mr Duffy's house throughout Saturday and came under attack from youths who threw stones at them.
    Republican protesters gathered in the early evening threw a number of petrol bombs at the police in several different places in the town.
    The BBC's Chris Page in Belfast says the situation is now reported to be fairly calm.

Also in Lurgan, officers probing the murder of Pc Carroll have found a gun and ammunition.
    Purple ribbons

Mr Duffy, 41, is one of four men being quizzed about the soldiers' murders at Massereene Army base.
    Detectives investigating the killings also carried out an operation in Bellaghy, County Londonderry.

Roman Catholic, Church of Ireland, Presbyterian and Methodist clergy will hold special services on Sunday where church leaders are asking people to wear purple ribbons in protest at the recent murders.
    There will also be prayers for an end to violence.

Sappers Mark Quinsey and Patrick Azimkar were shot outside the base in Antrim. About 500 people attended a vigil at the scene on Saturday.
    The gathering, which was organised by Antrim Borough Council, was addressed by the mayor of the town and local clergy. The mayors of Wexford, Cork, Westmeath, and Wicklow also attended.

Dissident Republican group the Real IRA said it carried out the attack.
    Mr Duffy is a former IRA member who has been critical of Sinn Fein's support for the police service.

Two other men aged 32 and 21 were arrested over the murders. A fourth man was arrested in the Antrim area on Saturday night.
    Rifle fire

Sappers Quinsey, 23, from Birmingham, and Azimkar, 21, from Wood Green, north London, were attacked after coming out of the base to collect pizzas they had ordered.
    Two gunmen in a car parked nearby opened fire with semi-automatic rifles.
    Four other people, including two pizza delivery men, were injured. The soldiers, from 25 Field Squadron of 38 Engineer Regiment, were murdered just hours before they were to have been deployed in Afghanistan.

And the people rejoiced.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I understand the reason for the wearing of the Purple Ribbon, but I am curious to know why you added 'Purple ribbons', & 'Rifle fire' in bold at the end of two paragraphs, followed by, at the bottom of your post > "And the people rejoiced".

Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Theyre paragraph headings from the original article which was copy and pasted into the OP with a one liner comment.

And the people rejoiced probably refers to the arrests...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This thread will be closed quick enough if the OP doesdn't provide some input of his own.

We're not a newswire service! :pac:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

What Mike said. I'd also like some clarification on the last line of the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Noble Knight

mike65 wrote: »
    This thread will be closed quick enough if the OP doesdn't provide some input of his own.

We're not a newswire service! :pac:

As was said before copied and pasted it from the BBC site.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

As was said before copied and pasted it from the BBC site.
    In other words, "I didn't read the charter and I don't see why I should have to."

I strongly recommend reading it before starting another thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement