Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24Mbit BT line down to 10kbits in the past 2 days

Options
  • 15-03-2009 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

I didnt have the chance to call BT yet, alsways forget it while being at work.
    Well the problem is, I have BT Broadband 24Mbit line since more than a week now. I have been downloading aprox. 25GB already. (average download speed of 1500 K/s.

2 Days ago the speed suddebly dropped to 10 K/s.
    It takes 2 minutes to load google and it took me 10 min to actually come to this forum and sign in.

I restarted my router a few times already. I'm also wired to my router and not through WiFi. WiFI has been disbaled so no one could hack into the net. Download speed is constantly 10 k/s.

Has anybody heard of a problem in Tallaght with BT Broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Looks like you have been throttled. The downloaded amount does seem kinda low though.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

Throttled from 24Mbit to 10Kbit? That seems a little too much. You can't do anything with 10Kbit - nothing - nada! A 56K modem is even faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Exact same thing happened to me, i would put a tenner on it that you have been throttled, Call BT just to be sure tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

Seriously? Down to 10Kbit? Thats as good as turning the Internet fully off! And that in the first week of getting Broadband finally up (signed up in October, nothing than problem since then trying to get a line - even now I got 2 wrong invoices)

So bottom line, BT may throttle the 24Mbit line down so low thay you can't use the internet anymore, but I am still paying 55Euro for a the 24Mbit line!

Yup, pissed me off too, i was on eircom 7mb before BT 24mb and i NEVER reached the so called download limit, I Hate BT, What they throttle you to is a joke, it makes loading emails tedious. I could stand 50kbps, that would do nicely for text but would restrict large downloading but 10kbps (which is what i was throttled to) is an absolute disgraceful reduction!

Cant wait to leave BT!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I just got BT in myself 2 weeks ago and have clocked up 40gb already.
    I havent been throttled yet, but I only download after 12 at night and have very little traffic during peak times.

I`m pretty sure its the peak traffic that triggers the throttling.
    Maybe limit the speed of your downloading? 24Mbit full speed for hours on end would probably grab their attention alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've had the displeasure of waiting for www.google.ie to load on 9600 bps, you'd definitely not mistake it for 10KBps. I'd leave BT for such a disgraceful handling of BT's arbitrary idea of Fair Usage.

But obviously the thing to do here is to call BT. If they say there isn't a fault or problem (:o) then insist on speaking with a supervisor.

I've had the displeasure of waiting for www.google.ie to load on 9600 bps, you'd definitely not mistake it for 10KBps. I'd leave BT for such a disgraceful handling of BT's arbitrary idea of Fair Usage.

But obviously the thing to do here is to call BT. If they say there isn't a fault or problem (:o) then insist on speaking with a supervisor.

10Kbits
    :eek:

They might aswell cut off the service for a month. That speed unusable in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

My Eircom connection has been severely throttled recently. I don't know if they've messed something up in the area or they've just decided to throttle me. I think I'll be changing ISP shortly... Will probably give them a call at some stage in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sourcream

I'm just quiting BT for that very reason, got throttled and everything down too the scary 10kbit..... Thing is once they do that...its for 30 days, which is simply far too long for me too be on that speed.

So I'm changing for UTV, I hope they won't have as poor a fair usage policy as BT have.

If you go anywhere near 80gigs which is very easy when your on 24mbit then you get throttled for 30 days on BT

Not nice!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I've had the same problem with BT in the last few days. What's this throttling business?

Sourcream wrote: »

If you go anywhere near 80gigs which is very easy when your on 24mbit then you get throttled for 30 days on BT

Not nice!!

When i was throttled i was throttled for 4 days, WOuldnt it be illegal for them to throttle you for 30days if it overlapped into a new billing month!!! Isnt the Fair usage policy covered over the 30 Days (Billing days) and within those 30 days you can only download X amount, THen say on the 25th day you reach the amount they then throttle you for the remaining 5 days!!!!

Id be very pissed off if they throttled me for 30 days, Id just cancel!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

It's through, called bt the other day after I notice my connection being at an unuseable 10kbit

Was told I downloaded over 70 gigs in the last 30 days which was againsted their fair usage policy..... and that I'll be throttled for the next 30 days....

I'm quiting bt as quick as I can...they suck....why can't the just say its a 70 gig limit...I mean saying its unlimited and then having a fair usage capped at 70gigs is far, very far from unlimited.

I wasn't even using any torrents..just downloading games from steam and transfering files from work....

BT suck and even when I'm not throttled I'm still only getting 4 meg out of the 7.6 they say i'm on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

i've been throttled recently got onto bt bout 5 times at this stage. was told i downloaded 116gbs in teh last 30 days! and 40gbs in one day! ops :P was told though the fiar usage policy is roughly 100gbs for the last 30 days. so once u go below 100gb of usage for the past 30 days the speeds should come back. im waiting 11 days at this stage. was onto them today and the tech support fella said i should have been unthrottled at this stage and that he was sending a mdg onto whom ever sort it out. i expect ill have to ring again 2morro. im just gonna give em bollox because i have been throttled for the whole of this billing month so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

10 kbps , that incredible , dial up is faster ,

if it stays that low continue , ring them up and demand an answer

tazire wrote: »
    i've been throttled recently got onto bt bout 5 times at this stage. was told i downloaded 116gbs in teh last 30 days! and 40gbs in one day! ops :P was told though the fiar usage policy is roughly 100gbs for the last 30 days. so once u go below 100gb of usage for the past 30 days the speeds should come back. im waiting 11 days at this stage. was onto them today and the tech support fella said i should have been unthrottled at this stage and that he was sending a mdg onto whom ever sort it out. i expect ill have to ring again 2morro. im just gonna give em bollox because i have been throttled for the whole of this billing month so far.

Is it the *unlimited package that you are on?

How strict are they on the standard 30gig cap I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Terra wrote: »
    It's through, called bt the other day after I notice my connection being at an unuseable 10kbit

Was told I downloaded over 70 gigs in the last 30 days which was againsted their fair usage policy..... and that I'll be throttled for the next 30 days....

I'm quiting bt as quick as I can...they suck....why can't the just say its a 70 gig limit...I mean saying its unlimited and then having a fair usage capped at 70gigs is far, very far from unlimited.

I wasn't even using any torrents..just downloading games from steam and transfering files from work....

BT suck and even when I'm not throttled I'm still only getting 4 meg out of the 7.6 they say i'm on.
    Hmmm. 70GiB is not completely unreasonable, and they do not have a cap in their T&Cs. Complain to them, repeatedly if necessary! And make sure you get to speak to a supervisor at some point if you're getting nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Having a 24mb connection with BT is pointless unless you just want to web browse and check e-mail. If you're into downloading and uploading you might be able to use it for one week a month unthrottled. You'd be better off with UPC, they have a 250gb limit on their unlimited package, but that does include uploads. Even Eircom are better than BT, they don't throttle or charge if you exceed their cap. BT are the worst ISP in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Shulgin wrote: »
    Is it the *unlimited package that you are on?

How strict are they on the standard 30gig cap I wonder?
    Not very.

With my experiences, they just charge you extra instead of throttling.

Makes ALOT more sense, no?

CutzEr wrote: »
    Not very.

With my experiences, they just charge you extra instead of throttling.

Makes ALOT more sense, no?

They charge extra? It doesn`t say anything on the site about charging extra if you go over the limit, only that they throttle .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Shulgin wrote: »
    They charge extra? It doesn`t say anything on the site about charging extra if you go over the limit, only that they throttle .
    Uh oh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

yeah im on the unlimited package! see problem was i got stung when i bought a new pc. driver dls and games/ patches etc. all addes up fairly quickly. was onto them again today after roughly 14 days now and have been told it will be another 4-5 days. so the majority of this billing month is gonna be throttled. you would think they would have to provide 24meg for at least the majority of the month regardless of the fair usuage. they also changed my login pw for some reason which i thought was weird.

Advertisement