Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROY KEANE'S BENFICA ROLE ?

• 15-03-2009 2:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

WTF !

Former Sunderland boss takes coaching sessions in Portugal

ROY KEANE has given the biggest sign yet he is ready to return to management by taking coaching sessions at Benfica.

The Portuguese giants have turned to the former Sunderland boss, 36, in their quest to land the title.

Director of football Rui Costa contacted Keane to oversee training ahead of last night’s Guimaraes clash.

Keane — linked with Blackburn before Sam Allardyce got the nod — is now desperate to get back into the hotseat at a big club, so willingly took up the offer.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/217400/ROY-KEANES-BENFICA-ROLE-Former-Sunderland-boss-takes-coaching-sessions-in-Portugal.html

More reliable source and quotes from Keano

Keane starts job hunt

Roy Keane is hoping to secure a return to football management in the not too distant future.

The former Sunderland boss has been out of the game since standing down at the Stadium of Light in December.

He has used his time away from the rigours of life in the spotlight to investigate the training methods of some of the world's best tactical brains.

Keane spent some time last year checking out the methods used by the formidable New Zealand rugby union side.

He then turned his attention back to football and flew out to Portugal last week to study the style of Benfica's Spanish boss Quique Sanchez Flores.
    He appears to have been bitten by the coaching bug once again and admits he is keen to find a new post as soon as possible.

"I wanted to know the methods of Benfica's work from the juniors to the first team. Benfica have some of the best faculties on the continent," said the Irishman.

"My future? I'm hopeful because I want to get back into management in the summer.

"I don't know where that will be, but I'm keeping all my options open and wouldn't dismiss the possibility of working abroad."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5053917,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Portugese like cork are trained in the art of traitorism, he will fit right in there.

Rui Costa was the dude i picked in world cup when i was a nipper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Meh, Benfica have a manager who was only installed at the start of this season. May just be that Keane is over to do some coaching. And before I believed he was to take over, I'd want to read it from a credible source.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Does anyone know where can I get a Benfica jersey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Does anyone know where can I get a Benfica jersey?

i bet if he did become manager of benfica, the media here would be showing the portuagueeeeeeesssssss league left right and centre with the tabloids having benfica sections everyday and thousand of idiots going round ireland in their benfica jerseys.

awe I feel sick at the thought of it:(

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

What do these mean?
    QFFT
    QFT
    AFAIK
    IIRC
    FTW
    And if there are any other common acronyms which are used I'd apreciate some translations.
    Some I do know
    BTW
    STFU
    IMO
    IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Portugese like cork are trained in the art of traitorism, he will fit right in there.

We could do without this sort of post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

dreamers75 wrote: »

How do you know. Care to explain yourself ?

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    How do you know. Care to explain yourself ?

And I would have thought it was self-explanatory that we could do without people responding to it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

What do these mean?
    QFFT
    QFT
    AFAIK
    IIRC
    FTW
    And if there are any other common acronyms which are used I'd apreciate some translations.
    Some I do know
    BTW
    STFU
    IMO
    IMHO

ever hear of google?
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    i bet if he did become manager of benfica, the media here would be showing the portuagueeeeeeesssssss league left right and centre with the tabloids having benfica sections everyday and thousand of idiots going round ireland in their benfica jerseys.

awe I feel sick at the thought of it:(

no wai! Irish media taking an interest in the managerial career of one of our most successful ever footballers? oh noes....

And I would have thought it was self-explanatory that we could do without people responding to it as well.

Well obviously not. I am from Dublin myself but someone calling Cork people traitors is bang out of order brother. Wouldnt one agree ? If your going to make outrageous statements like such then at the very least one should be made to explain themselves otherwise dont bother saying such a thing and remove the post.

[dons mod hat]

The Roy Keane as traitor subject ends now. Any mention of it from now on, from either side of the divide, will be judged as trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Isn't this what unemployed managers do? go to a club, preferably where a mate is involved, get involved in the coaching side of things, maybe he's doing it to get those ubiquitous coaching badges?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

He's the David Beckham of managers: His skill in his role is not as significant as his effect on marketing and merchandising.

I think himself and McCarthy would make a good management team. It would be like good-cop/bad-cop. Plus the publicity generated would be huge.
    (yes I know they hate each other etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I like Roy Keane and I reckon he will be a very successful manager at some stage in the not too distant future. We should nearly have a Roy Keane sticky with all the posts everytime he does something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I say good luck to him, hope he does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's good to see some premiership managers willing to go abroad, I think it helps them in the long term.

PHB wrote: »
    It's good to see some premiership managers willing to go abroad, I think it helps them in the long term.

Didn't do Tony Adams any favours, I wonder will it help McLaren?

Anything to keep his hand in while he waits for a vacancy is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

does anyone actually know the full story here? he could be dooing a number of things over there.

personally i would be of the same belief as PHB in relation to it helping managers in the future to get experience abroad as well as home and try learn different techniques

My (manly) love for Roy Keane is pretty well known by now i would imagine so it goes without saying that whatever he is doing i wish him the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sources, NOTW & Sky Sports, forgive me if I ignore this story.

Aidric wrote: »
    Sources, NOTW & Sky Sports, forgive me if I ignore this story.

How so ? Sky have quotes from the guy speaking about Benfica.

Advertisement