Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implied consent

Options
  • 15-03-2009 2:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

On signing up I never agreed to get constant mails from boards to tell me that somone has replied to a thread I replied to, personally I don't care that much to follow any thread but still I get the mails so that means boards is automatically subscribing me to said threads (hense "Implied consent" because it's forced mails instead of offering the choice so basically no better than spam) so is there a way to stop that? I tried my profile but I can't find an option to not be automatically subcribed to a thread I reply to anywhere so maybe I'm missing something :confused:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Butterfly baby

I finally found it

Default Thread Subscription ModeWhen you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread. Default Thread Subscription Mode:

That's astoundingly well hidden because you aren't given the option to choose since "automatically subscribe" is the default and you're not told that...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are a lot more info here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

biko wrote: »

Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Butterfly baby

biko wrote: »

Are there? well thanks for letting we know...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It's a fair comment, before any more feedback harpies march in and state the bleedin' obvious

There's a case to be made for a non subscribed default. Would be less of a server overhead too, I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

There's a case to be made for a non subscribed default. Would be less of a server overhead too, I'd imagine.
    I disagree.
    While it would be less of an overhead, it would also cause a lot of new users to never return to the site as they would be unaware of replies to their discussion.

They turned off auto subs on adverts and there have been a good few complaints about it.
    Given the size of boards active userbase (around 50K I think), there have been practically no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

That's a possibility too of course.

Personally I'd check back, but that's me.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We're working on the newbie pack RIGHT NOW in fact to explain all of these things but the control is entirely in the hands of the users around here. There is a huge whiff of "high horse" around this thread when in fact if anyone asked politely they would have been given a few polite links.

This thread is over and is going to be locked.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement