Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicopter

Options
  • 15-03-2009 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Anybody know what was going on with the helicopter over the city at 4am this morning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Asleep and ear plugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

most likely the army, they're always flying over my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 soapfan

what d hell was d story with it. it had 2 majir beam lights shining dwn as f looking for someone. very much focused on d langtons area ????

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BC-KK

I was wondering the exact same thing.

I live just off the Parade and was woken at 4am to what sounded like a helicopter actually landing on the roof - but it was just very nearby and flying literally feet over the streets with two huge seachlights.... I watched it for a few mins and it seemed to be following the river roughly between Green's Bridge and the Black Quarry. I noticed also that it was a larger than standard one and that it appeared to be red also - like it was maybe a Mountain / Sea Rescue helicopter.

I phoned the Gardai to see if they could shed any light on it and they were majorly offhandish considering that they had probably woken the entire town;
    - "Yes we know exactly what the helicopter is doing."
    *silence*
    - (me) "Will it be going on for long?"
    - "It will continue as long as the situation continues."
    *more silence*
    - "Er, thanks .. bye".

I can only assume it must've been serious or they wouldn't have gone to such extreme measures.... People have fallen in the river on Saturday nights before, for instance, but they haven't drafted in huge helicopters.
    I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

My wife woke me up round 4am, after a night of drinking, by knocking over nearly everything on the bedroom window sill in a rush to see what the noise was.

It did sound very loud, I didn't get out of bed to have a look and went back to sleep 30 seconds later.
    She told me this morning that it had TWO rotors, sounded like a Chinook. Big fackers they are. Why did they need one so big I wonder? Expensive to run as a search chopper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Apparently 2 people ended up in the river last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Nightwish wrote: »
    Apparently 2 people ended up in the river last night.

There's divers in the river now just under John's bridge. Gardai looking on from the bridge and they have a car parked on the canal walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

yes nigthwish is right some lads jumped into the river last nigh about 2 o clock, seemed serious lots of police cars up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

kleefarr

It did sound very loud, I didn't get out of bed to have a look and went back to sleep 30 seconds later.
    She told me this morning that it had TWO rotors, sounded like a Chinook. Big fackers they are. Why did they need one so big I wonder? Expensive to run as a search chopper.

I highly doubt it was a Chinook. Neither the Irish defence forces or Coast guard have them.

Most likely the Coast Guard rescue Sikorsky S61N. Garda helicopter may have possibly been there also.

280px-Irish_Coast_Guard_Helicopter.jpg

Post this on the "emergency services" or "aviation" pages and you might get better info.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

they pulled a body outta the river this morning

• Advertisement

I havent heard anything about this on the news on KCLR or elsewhere yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kk-mm-ss

The sub acqua unit and gardai were on the canal for most of today. I was down there at around 3 - 3.30 for walk and down at the end of the walk they had a body bag in the back of a hearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I highly doubt it was a Chinook. Neither the Irish defence forces or Coast guard have them.

Most likely the Coast Guard rescue Sikorsky S61N. Garda helicopter may have possibly been there also.

280px-Irish_Coast_Guard_Helicopter.jpg

Post this on the "emergency services" or "aviation" pages and you might get better info.;)

Asked her again about it and she was including the tail rotor. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

A girl was found in the river this morning alive. I don't know the details but she was out missing for two nights. Thank god she's alive anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

any idea if she was localand how old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The guy who died was local and in his early 20s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nameuser

The woman that was taken out today is 43 and is very ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mason Fairbanks

She only jumped in this morning apparently. Hopefully she pulls through.

Folks, we've been asked by a friend of the family of the man that drowned to not mention his name until it has been released to the media. I think you can understand the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

The woman that was found this morning has passed on according to Kilkenny Alive. My thoughts are with her family and loved ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Most likely the Coast Guard rescue Sikorsky S61N

Yup, spot on, it was the Waterford Airport based coastguard helicopter that was in attendance. Really is a monster of a machine up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Yup, spot on, it was the Waterford Airport based coastguard helicopter that was in attendance. Really is a monster of a machine up close.

passed right over my house on its way to the airport - probably for refueling in the small hours of the morning.

less than 100 feet off the ground, thought it was going to land right on top of the house at one point it was so loud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

BC-KK wrote: »
    - "Yes we know exactly what the helicopter is doing."
    *silence*
    - (me) "Will it be going on for long?"
    - "It will continue as long as the situation continues."
    *more silence*
    - "Er, thanks .. bye".
    Would ya blame em. What if there was someone trying to ring for an emergency and the cops trying to feck with some nosy one on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BC-KK

I suppose not but I phoned them as much out of a reaction to the shock and disorientation of it really - I mean the approaching noise was truly ominous and woke me and surely anyone else within a km.

I wasn't looking for gory details - I just wanted to some shred of rationale or a knowing voice for what was going on that's all- especially since there's been plenty of late Saturday night river accidents in the Nore over the years that haven't involved the Coast Guard helicopter.

I was relieved that they knew about it at least- and I'm more worried about what was going on for the people involved honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I was out on saturday night but never saw the man go into the river. I just approached the bridge and saw a crowd of people looking over the bridge and the fire brigade there. This was at about 2:30/2:45.

Huge shame though. Very unfortunate.

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

A freind of mine was close friends with him, lousy at that young age.

Advertisement