Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Registering classic cars in Ireland.

• 15-03-2009 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have an old 1971 VW Beetle and I would like to put it back on the road but I dont have any idea of its original reg number and I have no logbook for it ect. Is it possible for me to register my car in Ireland with only a chassis number and a birth cert from VW?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

my guess is if you give the details to the folk in Shannon, they will issue you with a ZV number IF they cant trace the original Iirsh number. Can you give them any details of its history at all? Such as who you bought it from .Is there a dealer sticker in the back window? that might help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

corktina wrote: »
    my guess is if you give the details to the folk in Shannon, they will issue you with a ZV number IF they cant trace the original Iirsh number. Can you give them any details of its history at all? Such as who you bought it from .Is there a dealer sticker in the back window? that might help
    Corktina is right,if you knew what the original reg was it would help greatly,as they would issue you with a new taxbook after a bit of form filling,im doing the exact same thing with a bug floorpan i have at the moment,but i know the reg of mine but they still had to write to shannon to get its details from the files.
    It might be difficult to trace the reg just from its chassis number,because as far as i know all the old records would be paper records and it would be very difficult to trawl through them with just a chassis number as reference,there was alot of beetles registered in ireland in 1971,and lots of them wouldnt be on the new system.If it was off the road pre 1993 it wont show on the computer.
    Is there a tax disc in the car,or do you know who the previous owner was,you could ask him.How come you didnt get a book or plates with the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Volksmania

Its a complicated situation. The car is actually on the road but a I did a data check on the car and the chassis numbers on cartell and on the car don't correspond. The model name on cartell says its a 1200 where in fact its a 1302S. The car was resprayed purple, the cartell website gives the original colour as beige but I got a birth cert from VW which gives the original colour as blue, and the car was blue as there are traces of blue paint on it.

I did a bit of research on the car and my understanding is that the guy who restored it brought it in from England, put Irish "shamrock" glass in it, got the log book of a similar Irish car, scrawbed out the chassis number on the book and wrote in my cars chassis number and put the car back on the road with false reg plates, to make the car "Irish".

Now the problem is that my insurance is not valid as the car is a clone, If NCT testing ever came out on vintage cars it would fail as the numbers wouldnt correspond, and if I ever want to sell the car I could loose the sale.

Is there any legal way that I can get this car re-registered properly as I dont know its Original Reg plates.

Could this get complicated? Any suggestions what I should do?

There is also the problem of VRT, It will have to be paid. Would that be much on a 1971 Beetle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its over 30 years old so its 50 euro for VRT; I doubt they'll try to backdate it to whatever date it came in to the country prior to its cloning operation.

Volksmania wrote: »
    I did a bit of research on the car and my understanding is that the guy who restored it brought it in from England, put Irish "shamrock" glass in it, got the log book of a similar Irish car, scrawbed out the chassis number on the book and wrote in my cars chassis number and put the car back on the road with false reg plates, to make the car "Irish".
    This sort of thing goes on quite a bit,its fine when its the original guy that did the work and owned the car,its when it gets sold on that problems like this arise.The 1302 is quite a bit different to the 1200 too..
    Maybe if you got in contact with the DVLA in england with the chassis and engine numbers they could cross reference it on their systems and maybe come up with the reg number it had in england.

• Advertisement

I went into the VRO office today and got the car registered using its birth cert but when I went to tax it the girl told me I couldn't as it wasn't on the system yet, that I will have to go back in on Wednesday to tax it. I wonder will it go in on the system or will they refuse it? When there is no previous reg number. Did it ever happen to anyone else that when they went to tax a newly registered car that they couldn't as it wasn't yet on the system?

the dvla is a good suggestion.do that first

be careful though as there is obviously fraud involved here (not by you but it could still have consequebces)

Its all well and good someone cloning a car to an old taxbook for their own use, but to sell it on is ringing pure and simple and it is far too common nowadays.Well done you for wanting to put it right,very sensible as you say if a NCT is introduced (which i believe is likely)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I went into the VRO office today and got the car registered using its birth cert but when I went to tax it the girl told me I couldn't as it wasn't on the system yet, that I will have to go back in on Wednesday to tax it. I wonder will it go in on the system or will they refuse it? When there is no previous reg number. Did it ever happen to anyone else that when they went to tax a newly registered car that they couldn't as it wasn't yet on the system?

If you have been issued a reg number you should be fine, if there was a problem you'd be waiting before getting a number.
    I have waited up to 8ish weeks for a number as there wasn't a code on the system for my car (1835cc oval, LHD).

It's normal to reg and then tax a week later or so.

When you say its birth cert what do you mean?Have you got ZV12345 number or a 71XX1234 type reg?If you did you will probably be fine as they just made a new listing for that car,my problem is i wanted the old reg and had no previous owners details.I have to get a statutory declaration filled up by a Garage and stamped by the garage that the car is what i say it is,and also signed by a peace commissioner/commissioner of oaths/notary public,whoever that is!!

Also,alot of stuff isnt on the system,if you have a Datsun they will always put it down as a nissan,even my 100A which has been in ireland since new is listed as a NISSAN OTHER 100A
    And a friend who has a Datsun 120Y and it said so on the registration document,still it was listed as a Nissan.

When you say its birth cert what do you mean?Have you got ZV12345 number or a 71XX1234 type reg?If you did you will probably be fine as they just made a new listing for that car .........

I got a birth for the car from the Volkswagen factory in Germany, it states the chassis number, date of manufacture, date it left the factory and other details about the car. I used it as evidence of the cars age ect as I had no previous registration documents. He gave me a 71 LS *** number, so maybe I am alright then once I have the number.

• Advertisement

I reckon that's it, yeah. ;)

JustinOval wrote: »
    I reckon that's it, yeah. ;)
    Yep..sorted.If you have a reg you are grand.
    Its about the best way out of it really.

She is taxed and insured now anyway so I'd say that I'm sorted!

She is taxed and insured now anyway so I'd say that I'm sorted!
    Cool,throw up some pics of her!

glad you are sorted....nice to get a happy ending..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Anyone know if you go to register a car with a 1300cc engine on the V5...but you've dropped in a V8....what kind of problems might arise, or will they just change the engine details in the cert..?

They need to create a code to enter it on the system, mine took weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

So it would be easier to register it as is, and change the engine later..?

If it's standard now, yeah, I think so.

Advertisement