Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The mains keeps tripping out ?

Options
  • 15-03-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

We have a small oven we use on the kitchen worktop. All of a sudden whenever it is switched on it trips out the mains to the house.

Does this indicate there is some kind of fault with the oven do you think? It is quite a new appliance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Yes. Possibly a short in the cable or loose connection in the plug or in the appliance. Have you tried it in another socket?

If know how to, check the connections in the plug and if all is good there, get the appliance serviced

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭steifanc

what exactly is tripping out on your board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

flynnboy wrote: »
    Hi

We have a small oven we use on the kitchen worktop. All of a sudden whenever it is switched on it trips out the mains to the house.

Does this indicate there is some kind of fault with the oven do you think? It is quite a new appliance.

What do you mean by tripping out? There are usually two separate
    safety devices. Most modern installations have a circuit breaker which
    trips when excessive current is drawn from the mains. Older installations
    use a fuse for this purpose.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_breaker

Check the maximum current requirements of your oven. If it is
    plugged into a three pin 13A socket rather than a dedicated
    cooker cable, it is likely to trip the MCB, especially if there are
    other high current devices like a kettle or dishwasher on the
    same circuit.

The other safety device is known by a variety of different names
    like RCCB/RCD/ELCB. This trips if there is leakage to earth or
    an imbalance between live/neutral current which would indicate
    leakage to earth.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

Frequent MCB trips are caused by excessive current. This could
    cause overheating of the wiring and there is a small risk of fire.

RCD trips are a sign of insulation failure caused by a
    faulty appliance or sometimes by water spills into the
    appliance. Faulty wiring is another possibility.

Earth leakage faults are dangerous, especially in a kitchen
    where there are a lot of earthed metal surfaces. If your RCD
    is tripping, don't just keep resetting it. Find out the cause of
    the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Hi

Is it in an old house? My grandparents had one of these ovens fitted before and it kept doing the same thing. It was drawing too much current than was available in the house. They had to ring the ESB and they sorted it out but it took an age for them to call out.

Anything with a large heating element usually draws a motherload of current, an electric shower being another prime example (you may notice that the lights dim when you turn it on).

Try an electrician and see what he says and it will more than likely involve a visit from the ESB if it is an old house.

hbr wrote: »
    What do you mean by tripping out? There are usually two separate
    safety devices. Most modern installations have a circuit breaker which
    trips when excessive current is drawn from the mains. Older installations
    use a fuse for this purpose.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_breaker

exactly " what is tripping out " we can take it that the person that posted the question isnt from an electrical background , and in an effort to establish if were dealing with a earth fault or a current fault ,a discription from the poster of "what is tripping out" we can establish this and try and help them futher,
    i would think if they knew the differance between a rcd,rcbo,and a mcb they wouldnt be posting the question in the first place !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

All of a sudden whenever it is switched on it trips out the mains to the house.

Op do you mean your main breaker for the whole house, normally a 63amp fuse?

It should really be just your circuit fuse/mcb. Its most likely overcurrent on one circuit rather than a faulty appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

We have only been here since November but I do know enough to tell you that it is a modern system.

What I mean by 'tripping out' is this. We have a box outside of the house that houses the meter. In the box there is what I would call a trip switch and it is this which 'trips out' i.e. switches itself to the off position. This breaks the circuit for the whole house.

I have tried the appliance in question on the mains circuit for the main house - which is a separate circuit to the kitchen mains circuit, and the same thing happens i.e. the trip switch in the meter box switches off. I have tested all of the other appliances some of which are more powerful e.g. our much bigger cooker oven, and nothing else has the same effect of tripping the system off.

I have checked the plug and all is okay in there. What I'm trying to do is establish that it is the appliance before we take it back as it is fairly new and under guarantee. I don't want to look like an idiot when I take it back....

Thanks for all of your input.

Oh and just one ore thing.

We have had it for a couple of months with absolutely no problems until yesterday.

Oh and just one more thing.

We have had it for a couple of months with absolutely no problems until yesterday.

We have only been here since November but I do know enough to tell you that it is a modern system.

What I mean by 'tripping out' is this. We have a box outside of the house that houses the meter. In the box there is what I would call a trip switch and it is this which 'trips out' i.e. switches itself to the off position. This breaks the circuit for the whole house.

I have tried the appliance in question on the mains circuit for the main house - which is a separate circuit to the kitchen mains circuit, and the same thing happens i.e. the trip switch in the meter box switches off. I have tested all of the other appliances some of which are more powerful e.g. our much bigger cooker oven, and nothing else has the same effect of tripping the system off.

I have checked the plug and all is okay in there. What I'm trying to do is establish that it is the appliance before we take it back as it is fairly new and under guarantee. I don't want to look like an idiot when I take it back....

Thanks for all of your input.

Because it doesn't trip with the cooker, that doesn't mean anything. The cooker is probably on its own mcb.

Turn off the all the other MCB's and only leave the one on so you can plug in the oven. If it trips out then, with everything else off it would seem like a faulty unit.

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    Turn off the all the other MCB's and only leave the one on so you can plug in the oven.

Thanks Davy. You mean switch off all the circuit breakers in the mains fuse box except for the circuit for the socket used for this oven ?

Thanks Davy. You mean switch off all the circuit breakers in the mains fuse box except for the circuit for the socket used for this oven ?

Yes. This will mean that the only thing on will be this oven. Then the main switch beside the meter should not be tripping, only the circuit fuse in your board should trip. You should check the rating of the oven, it should be on a label on it. The fact that its been ok since November does raise suspicions though.

I just turned off every switch on my mains board i.e. everything in the house, except for the circuit for the kitchen sockets. The same thing happened. Do you reckon it is the appliance? It would seem so.

I just turned off every switch on my mains board i.e. everything in the house, except for the circuit for the kitchen sockets. The same thing happened. Do you reckon it is the appliance? It would seem so.

If its taking in this much current i would suspect so. Possible short in the unit itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

what's this tripswitch in the meter box .whats the label on it say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

davelerave wrote: »
    what's this tripswitch in the meter box .whats the label on it say?

+1

Something a little outside the norm here, I feel.

If you could take an image OP, that would be even better.

so were back to the same question here " what exactly is it tripping on the board "
    it is highly an overcurrent problem , seen as that according to iso standerds you can t fit a fuse bigger that 13a into a plug top, for obvious reasons, so following the laws of diversity , if it was current the plug top would blow first , and if it has only given problems recently we can take it that the correctly rated bracker is in the board or it would of given problems proir to this ,
    turning all your trips off is fine if your trying to identify a circut with a problem , but we all ready know where the problem is ,

so my tuppence wort, imo and experience , i have found a common problem with ovens/toasters with crums and food parts falling around the element area , causing egnought contact to trip a rcd of 30 ma,
    so try cleaning it , if that dont work bring it back if under warrenty ,

could be a hook-up to a temp. supply at worst in the meter cabinet.need more info anyway.

Well, the kitchen socket circuit is separate to the main house socket circuit and the appliance has the same effect on both circuits and no other appliance causes the problem. So, I would say the appliance has developed a fault. I am taking it back tomorrow and when I get a replacement, or the dealer tells me otherwise, I shall surely know;)

I will let you know the outcome.

FBY

this tripswitch is in the meter cabinet you say.get some info on this before you bring cooker back .it sounds unusual

• Advertisement

It smacks to me like someone has hooked the house up to what may have been a temporary supply of some kind.

It is possible that there's no fault at all, and that excess load could be causing the tripping.

Like a lot of queries here-a lack of info makes it hard to diagnose.

Is it a new property/installation?
    Is an electric shower present, and does it work ok?

The house is not on a temporary supply of any kind. As previously explained it is a modern system. The worktop oven has been working without a problem of any kind for over 2 months so I don't see why it should be any kind of problem with our general electrical system. We do not have an electric shower and nothing else is displaying any problem of any kind.

The one and only thing causing any kind of problem is this little oven all of a sudden. If there was any kind of a problem with our supply/system surely it would have shown up before now. It is too coincidental that the one and only thing tripping the system out is this little oven after more than 2 months of operation without problem of any kind, especially given the tests I have done.

I'm taking it back tomorrow. I don't see how it can be anything else.

The house is not on a temporary supply of any kind. As previously explained it is a modern system. The worktop oven has been working without a problem of any kind for over 2 months so I don't see why it should be any kind of problem with our general electrical system. We do not have an electric shower and nothing else is displaying any problem of any kind.

The one and only thing causing any kind of problem is this little oven all of a sudden. If there was any kind of a problem with our supply/system surely it would have shown up before now. It is too coincidental that the one and only thing tripping the system out is this little oven after more than 2 months of operation without problem of any kind, especially given the tests I have done.

I'm taking it back tomorrow. I don't see how it can be anything else.
    there's no way of being definitive here with the limited info you're providing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

there's no way of being definitive here with the limited info you're providing .
    + 1

But from reading your posts it sounds like:

1) A problem has developed recently with the appliance.
    2) Your wiring is not normal.

I would suggest that you get a qualified electrician to look at it.

I would too.

I'd dearly love to know what's residing in that meter cabinet.

my guess would be the house is hooked up through an rcd or an rcbo situated in the meter cabinet.no rcd in fusebox and the oven has developed an earth fault.could be well off the mark though!

'Limited Info' ?

I really don't see what other info' I can give you? I have explained everything I can.

I am really very grateful for all of your input but given the advice I have received from the forum and the tests I have done as a result, and also given the fact that there has never been any problem of any kind whatsoever until yesterday and given that it is uniquely a problem attached to this one appliance quite suddenly and after a couple of months of normal operation, how can it be anything other than a problem having developed with this appliance ? This can happen. If there was any kind of problem with our supply/system in general terms then I have no doubt it would have been symptomatic before now with our general usage. But as I have tried to make clear, we have never had any kind of problem before now and it is uniquely concerned with this one appliance.

As I said, I am taking it back tomorrow and so I will report back and let you know what happens as a result.

Thanks again, I do appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

'Limited Info' ?

I really don't see what other info' I can give you? I have explained everything I can.
    With regards to the apparently faulty machine, yes you have. And you are most likely correct that the appliance is indeed faulty.

However, on foot of what you said earlier regarding a switch tripping outside beside the meter box, numerous posters have asked for more info on this but you haven't been forthcoming. It may not be causing the problem in question, but it may pose a problem in itself.

Perhaps it's a simple case of people misunderstanding your claim, but taken as you described, this "switch" sounds highly irregular, and possibly hazardous.

So, more info please:)

Okay, this is absolutely the last piece of info' I can give - the CB is labeled

BD62

But c'mon, surely common sense has it here? We have had no problems whatsoever before now, we have used this appliance trouble free for a couple of months, no other appliance displays any kind of problem, I have switched off every CB on the consumer unit with the exception of the circuit for the kitchen sockets and it is still only that appliance that triggers the CB for the house. Also, if I plug it in to the socket circuit for the house, which is separate from the kitchen, it has the same effect. Why on Earth would this be anything other than a problem that has developed with this appliance?

It surely makes sense that if we have some kind of fundamental problem with our supply/system set up we would have known about it before now with other problems? Why suddenly should we have problems with this one particular appliance if it is some kind of other fundamental problem with our system ?

• Advertisement

I'm going with Dave on this. The most likely culprit is an RCD (a type of breaker) in your meter cab that SHOULDN'T be there. That's why we're talking in terms of non standard installation etc.

That said, I'd imagine you also have what is most likely a faulty element or wiring in the oven itself, given that you have turned everything else off, and still get a trip.

Don't just replace the appliance, let the problem go away and do no more.

Even an image of both your cabinet and distribution board would give us some idea of what's been done, but failing that, no one can definitively say.

Advertisement