Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Package?

• 15-03-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭

Morning all,

Myself and the girlfriend are currently on Meteor's "Talk 300 Free Talk and Text for Life" plan at €50 a month. Yet despite the fact that the only numbers I really call or text are Meteor, and that I rarely bother with online services (unless via WLAN on my N95), the bills are consistently around the €80 mark each.

What makes this even more annoying is the PAYG offerings are now almost equivalent but cheaper, but at the same time I like the convenience of not having to constantly get credit either, and I've also had the same mobile number for over a decade and would prefer to keep it. That said, if a billpay number can be ported to PAYG then I'd have no problem with it.

So.... has anyone any suggestions on what package we could move to that would:

- retain our free calls and texts to (mostly) meteor numbers. Note, we would probaby both text more than talk, but we do talk a lot to each other (aww, love eh? ;))
    - keep our numbers
    - hopefully work out as better value each month

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Try www.callcosts.ie

It should give you a better idea of what is out there.

I really must put that into a sticky somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

I was having the same problem! I went into meteor to complain that the talk 300 is too high but talk 200 is too low as you don't get free meteor to meteor calls! Its a scam in a way!

I use the 10 internet bundle and have insurance 5 (have the N95) and always cloaked up 80.

I've moved down to talk 200 and find it good, but i do miss the free meteor to meteor calls. I'm spending about 55 a month now! Which doesn't bother me so much!
    You still get Free texts to meteor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Why not free Meteor to Meteor talk & text for life. Requires a €20 topup every month. You can both keep your numbers and you wont have a contract either. The only downside is having to topup but you can do it online, over the phone or in a shop.

A few things to note that you must topup by €20 or more in one go. The free calls last for 60mins, so if the love is that strong and stay on that long just hangup on her and call again :D

The other thing i will say about it, the period to apply for this offer is due to end at March 31st. It will mostly likely extended, this was a date set when they originally launched back months ago. One you are on it, its an offer for life once you don't leave the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Just tell Meteor you want to go back to PAYG. Once you're out of contract there's no issues, You keep your number.

It's very easy to top up by text these days too.

Free calls and texts to Meteor as long as you top up ny 20/month, as you probably know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cheers for the advice folks :) The only thingg is that I think the latest contract still has another month or two to run.

If I/we were to get 2 PAYG sims on the "free text and calls for life" plan now, could we later transfer our numbers to these once the contract is up?

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I don't think they would do that for you. Just ring meteor and ask them are they extending the date for the offer. Im pretty sure they will be. Once they are, you have no problems about getting sim cards now etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

I wouldnt be too worried about the hassle of topping up at all. They've many ways of getting money from you! :P

With meteor you can top up by text, phone, atm, internet and in a shop.
    Most banks provide an online top up facility on thier internet banking system and some provide a text top up service too.

My mum was on bill pay with O2 and voda for years.
    She decided her bills were too big and told them she wanted to change to PAYG.
    They struck a deal to end the contract early (cost her €20 or something instead of €80). Deal was just from goining in to a shop, talking to a very nice manager and explaining the situation.

She has more than halfed what she spends on her phone now and doesnt find topping up much of a barrier at all. Its a very small inconvenience for such big savings.

Advertisement