Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budweiser Aluminium Bottle

Options
  • 15-03-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Anyone else tried bud from the new bottle? limited edition so they say! €2.89 for a 472ml Aluminium bottle. The sign in the off licence said it had to be chilled at -5 degrees to keep it cool. had its own special fridge and everything. quiet impressive really. i bought em at 5 o'clock and when i went to drink them at 10 they were still really cold!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

tippguy wrote: »
    Anyone else tried bud from the new bottle? limited edition so they say! €2.89 for a 472ml Aluminium bottle. The sign in the off licence said it had to be chilled at -5 degrees to keep it cool. had its own special fridge and everything. quiet impressive really. i bought em at 5 o'clock and when i went to drink them at 10 they were still really cold!
    I don't really like Bud but I'll give it a try if I see it around. Had they actually been out of the fridge from 5 til 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd imagine that was <5 degrees.
    -5 would probably freeze the beer solid.
    It's in it's own fridge purely for marketing purposes, at a guess.
    If it's the same beer in it, it should be served at the same temp irrespective of what the container is made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

no no chilled to minus five degrees. its in a unique bottle to prevent it from freezing appapently. the sign was sayin tis served extra cold. could be something like the guinness extra cold maybe?

oh and ya it was out of a fridge from 5 until 10 and was still colder than your usual six pack that has come from a fridge.

It's just a marketing gimmick to get more space for bud/diageo in the shop . Bulmers have the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

really? never heard of bulmers in a aluminum bottle. i'd imagine this kind of product would appeal to nigh clubs who dont have fridges. pop it into the freezer for an evenin and take it ou before you open and hey presto

• Advertisement

really? never heard of bulmers in a aluminum bottle. i'd imagine this kind of product would appeal to nigh clubs who dont have fridges. pop it into the freezer for an evenin and take it ou before you open and hey presto

Not sure about the alminum bottles but they are definately trying to get those sub zero fridges into off licences. The extra cold just means you can't taste how crap bud really is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Not sure about the alminum bottles but they are definately trying to get those sub zero fridges into off licences. The extra cold just means you can't taste how crap bud really is!

And also that you can't hold the bottles long enough to buy them:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lufty

Can anyone direct me to a spot in Dublin that sells them? Have tried a couple of off licences and also 2 supermarkets, but no luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You could always go for the 500ml tube-shaped aluminium bottle with the ringpull.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marceldesailly

BeerNut wrote: »
    You could always go for the 500ml tube-shaped aluminium bottle with the ringpull.

don't be ridiculous it's a completely different thing.its bottle shaped can for a start and its got its own fridge and everything. surely not a just marketing ploy?:D Think i will stick to loops de loops from the freezer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Would putting a can in the freezer for a while then drink it not offer simular effect?

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

yoyo wrote: »
    Would putting a can in the freezer for a while then drink it not offer simular effect?

Nick

Of course not.

Using the latest nanometer technology, the Budweiser freezers cryogenically treat a hybrid mixture of pure nitrogen and oxygen on a molecular level and use an advanced convection based heat transduction system to leave the product chilled to perfection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭D500B

Sean_K wrote: »
    Of course not.

Using the latest nanometer technology, the Budweiser freezers cryogenically treat a hybrid mixture of pure nitrogen and oxygen on a molecular level and use an advanced convection based heat transduction system to leave the product chilled to perfection.
    Impressive - shame they don't put any effort into brewing

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sean_K wrote: »
    Of course not.

ok lol will take your word for it ;)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marceldesailly

isn't cryogenics very very cold temperatures? anyway ye its just a bottle shaped can stuck in a cold fridge.brilliant. I think the "technology" might have something to do with this:

"The Budweiser Aluminium bottle delivers an improved cash margin per serve over draught beers to the on-trade"

amazing what you can sell to people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

only been available in the US for the last 3 years
    prob still think we're spud munchers here in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

conno16 wrote: »
    only been available in the US for the last 3 years
    prob still think we're spud munchers here in ireland
    Nothing wrong with spuds. Taste better than Buttweiper anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

If you poured it from a bottle (or can) at sub 5 degress. would it not freeze once the top is removed? As in it can be cold in the bottle once its carbonation levels are stable , but once the user opens the bottle and the gas is released, bubbles form then the freezing process would begin.......that would be my understanding of it?
    So yeah what im trying to say is its marketting mumbo jumbo :pac::pac:

gucci wrote: »
    If you poured it from a bottle (or can) at sub 5 degress. would it not freeze once the top is removed?
    Nope. I know this 'cos I did it on Saturday. Though I didn't check if it was actually at -5.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Jeasus I remember drinking from them yokes in Boston around 2006. It was such a load of crap, the Americans lapped it up!

I do like the frozen tapes tho!
    In my local we have competitions as to who can melt the biggest hole into it. Also, some funny bugger poured red cordial all over it and it was pink for a day.

• Advertisement

Nope. I know this 'cos I did it on Saturday. Though I didn't check if it was actually at -5.

I would suggest it wasnt -5, i have flash freezed beer to -20 and beyond and it remains in liquid format while under pressure of being in a can or bottle. Once you open it....then the problems start!! Not sure how the beer would react if it was saturated at -20 for a considerable length of time, its been a while since i done the experiments, il take a look at my notes later!

gucci wrote: »
    I would suggest it wasnt -5,
    So what would you say is the freezing point of a 4.3% ethanol solution at atmospheric pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

According to here
    The freezing point of a beer is given as Freezing point
    (°C) = –0.42 × A + 0.04 × E + 0.2 in which A is the percent of
    alcohol content by weight and E is the original gravity of the wort
    (3). On this basis, each 1% increase in alcohol content lowers the
    freezing point by 0.42°C and each increase in gravity of 1°Plato
    (P) raises it by 0.04°C. Thus, no beer will freeze at –1°C, and
    products at higher alcohol concentrations (including high-gravity
    brews prior to dilution) will withstand even lower temperatures.

so 4.3 is a lowering by 1.8 degrees. So beer should freeze at -5 degrees. I wonder what anti freeze technique they use?

cavedave wrote: »
    So beer should freeze at -5 degrees. I wonder what anti freeze technique they use?
    Pressure, I'd imagine. The beer will be liquid in the bottle at -5, but by the time the cap comes off and the pressure is normalised it will be higher than freezing point.

And presumably the same thing would happen with an ordinary can, if you don't fancy spending the €6-something that these bottles cost each.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Far too serious thinking going on here...

I am however happy to relate that Becks bottle will last 8 hours in the freezer (i.e. the working day) and be the perfect temperature when you come home/off duty. :cool:

Pressure, I'd imagine. The beer will be liquid in the bottle at -5, but by the time the cap comes off and the pressure is normalised it will be higher than freezing point.

Yeah pressure is basically what keeps it liquidy in the glass. Ice needs a neuclation point to form, ie a bubble of air or similar, so until you fizz the top off its nice and liquidy!
    From what i can recall saturating a bottle for up to a week at -5 even -6 was fine, but any lower and the liquid would start going into an icey solution. (im not quite sure of the dynamics that were causing this)
    Sparkling water was the same down to -1.8 or so, ie it would freeze partially when you spilled it into a nice cold glass, so you would be left with about 50 % water and 50% slush, and the same with fizzy pop (which obviously vary in carbination levels and sugar, down to -2 or -3.
    And presumably the same thing would happen with an ordinary can, if you don't fancy spending the €6-something that these bottles cost each.

The tests i done were with standard glass bottles and cans. I would suggest the aluminum bottle is 50% marketing 50% to make sure there are no cock ups regarding a bottle cracking because of an quick change in temp.

*edit*
    also wouldn't the liquid actually get warmer quicker in an aluminium vessel exposed to room temperature as opposed to a glass vessel? As aluminum has better thermal conductivity than glass?.....also i would imaging the aluminum is thinner than the glass in wall section (i haven't see the bottles yet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

lso wouldn't the liquid actually get warmer quicker in an aluminium vessel exposed to room temperature as opposed to a glass vessel? As aluminum has better thermal conductivity than glass?.....also i would imaging the aluminum is thinner than the glass in wall section (i haven't see the bottles yet!)
    Aluminium seems to have similar specific heat capacity
    Substance Cp kJ kg−1 K−
    Aluminium 0.897
    Glass[8] 0.84
    Water 2.080
    Ethanol 2.44

There seems to be a lot less mass in the aluminium bottle then the glass one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

i havent come across a place selling it yet.

im in the bum laoire area can anybody point me out to where its be sold in that area, cheers guys.

Btw the new bulmers pear is quit nice
    (mark waits.... for some smart arse wanna be mod to say please keep on topic :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Will someone for the love of God tell me where to buy them???!!!

Advertisement