Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nationality of the next MUFC manager?

• 15-03-2009 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Wondering who people think will follow sir Alex into the Hot Seat

Nationality of next Manchester United manager 46 votes

English
    0% 0 votes
    Irish
    4% 2 votes
    Scottish
    15% 7 votes
    Welsh
    10% 5 votes
    Dutch
    4% 2 votes
    French
    4% 2 votes
    German
    0% 0 votes
    Spanish
    6% 3 votes
    Italian
    4% 2 votes
    Portugeuse
    2% 1 vote
    Other
    47% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

syngindub wrote: »
    Wondering who people think will follow sir Alex into the Hot Seat

tbh theres a man utd thread for this stuff

but ill play along

I would like moyes to be given a chance tbh

so i would like another Scottish manager

edit: you forgot Portuguese :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hitzfeld for me so a German then. Hitzfeld and Fergie are good friends and I would put money on it that Fergie will get a say in who replaces him so could be a good bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Headshot wrote: »
    tbh theres a man utd thread for this stuff

but ill play along

I would like moyes to be given a chance tbh

so i would like another Scottish manager

edit: you for Portuguese :rolleyes:
    there is already a man utd thread. not for posting polls though

edit: you forgot Portuguese :rolleyes:

Must mean Queiroz.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Portugese?

Whether I want it or not, I'd imagine Mourinho is top of the list. The Glazers need somebody who can guarantee victory and Mourinho is that man. Once he commits to attacking football that is (as theres lots of money made in marketing due to our attacking players)

• Advertisement

ridiculous poll OP, maybe a poll with possible candidates would be better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

PHB wrote: »
    Portugese?

Added.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    ridiculous poll OP, maybe a poll with possible candidates would be better?

Ridiculous is a bit strong, maybe the candidates would be better but then I think most of us can guess who is who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

The one credential I want above all others is previous managerial experience in the English game. I know that rules out great managers like Lippi, Hitzfeld etc but its just too much of a gamble. Scolari being a perfect example.

With that in mind, I'd take either Mourinho or O'Neill, with Moyes or Keane the dark horses.

Daysha wrote: »

With that in mind, I'd take either Mourinho or O'Neill, with Moyes or Keane the dark horses.

Keano is definitely a future manager but wouldnt say the next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One of

Guss Hiddink
    Martin O'Neill
    Jose Mourinho
    Jurgan Klinsmann
    Roy Keane

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    Keano is definitely a future manager but wouldnt say the next.

Tbh, I really wouldn't rule it out. He'd instantly command the respect of the board, the players and then fans and he already knows United inside out, so continuity wise you couldn't ask for much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

How about a poll on the skin colour of the next MU manager? or their religion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I think Ferguson is on record as being highly impressed by Moyes. He has done a cracking job at Everton, other than him I'd like O Neill to get a crack at it. I wouldn't like to see Mourinho getting anywhere near the position.

mike65 wrote: »
    One of

Guss Hiddink - Doesnt do it for me. Brutal club record.
    Martin O'Neill - Has a good chance
    Jose Mourinho - Never
    Jurgan Klinsmann - Club credentials ? Newbie
    Roy Keane - Newbie, would love him but think he needs to get more experience at a smaller club

Hitzfeld - Priven Winner
    Ancellotti - Proven Winner
    Spalletti - looks promising.
    Lippi - seemingly only speaks negative of English teams
    Stan - If we give him the tracky with his name on it ;)

Moyes doesnt get the credit he deserves for the job at everton,imo has to be one of the favourites for the job

Moyes doesnt get the credit he deserves for the job at everton,imo has to be one of the favourites for the job

great manager, but the step up in class and pressure is massive.

He would be a gamble imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I hear this said every week by everybody, I still wonder who are the guys that don't give him credit.
    I'm would fancy him as a top candidate for the United job myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Would love to see Moyes get the job. Doing a fantastic job at Everton and has a very good record in the transfer market.

But unfortunatly I think it'll be Mourinho :(

Redout would you not be in the least concerned about foreigners with absolutely no experience of the English game coming in to take possibly the toughest job in football when SAF retires?

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Would love to see Moyes get the job. Doing a fantastic job at Everton and has a very good record in the transfer market.

But unfortunatly I think it'll be Mourinho :(

The thing with Mourinho,I think he'll be great to bring in for a limited time but I can't see him building a legacy at utd thou

• Advertisement

The thing with Mourinho,I think he'll be great to bring in for a limited time but I can't see him building a legacy at utd thou
    Yeah he doesn't seem the type to want to stick around for long.

Daysha wrote: »
    Redout would you not be in the least concerned about foreigners with absolutely no experience of the English game coming in to take possibly the toughest job in football when SAF retires?

Not at all. Ancellotti, Hitzfeld have two Champions league a piece. Lippi has been to four finals and won a World cup. These guys are top class and have bucket loads of club experience at the highest level unlike say Scolari and should not have any huge difficulty with making the move. Hitzfeld speaks fluent english but dont think the Italians do.

Not at all. Ancellotti, Hitzfeld have two Champions league a piece. Lippi has been to four finals and won a World cup. These guys are top class and have bucket loads of club experience at the highest level unlike say Scolari and should not have any huge difficulty with making the move. Hitzfeld speaks fluent english but dont think the Italians do.

Didn't Hitzfeld say the Swiss job would be his last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

How can Keane be considered a definite future manager by some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I think (right now) it'd be between O'Neil, Moyes, Mourinho, and Quieroz. I think part of Fergie's contract allows him to get s say in who replaces him (after the Sven Goran Eriksson publicity when he last decided to retire), so it'll be someone Fergie respect. I think whoever it is will have to have had experience in the English game, though I could see Ancelotti being an outside choice. My guess is that it's mainly between O'Neil and Mourinho. Of course, things could change in the next year or two.

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Didn't Hitzfeld say the Swiss job would be his last?

Didnt Fergie say he was retiring in 2001 ? you never know brother. I would take these sorts of quotes with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

JPA wrote: »
    How can Keane be considered a definite future manager by some?

exactly he spent 70/80million on absolute **** players for sunderland and then went running when the going got tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

David Moyes is the man, since he arrived at Goodison he has transformed Everton from a team people loved to play against and pick up 3 points to a team mingling with the billionaire sky 4 monopoly and this season he has kept Everton up near the top despite playing half the season with no recognised striker.

I dont know what people see in this 'special one' he is just a celebrity doo daah and would go the same was a big auld phil scholari IMO.

But having said that Moyes is under contract to Everton so good luck to United in getting a new manager..:p

redzerdrog wrote: »
    exactly he spent 70/80million on absolute **** players for sunderland and then went running when the going got tough

so bringing a team near the bottom of the championship into the EPL stands for nothing theses days :rolleyes:

btw its very hard to bring in top quality players to sunderland

But having said that Moyes is under contract to Everton so good luck to United in getting a new manager..:p

A contract hardly stands for anything these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

David Moyes is the man, since he arrived at Goodison he has transformed Everton from a team people loved to play against and pick up 3 points to a team mingling with the billionaire sky 4 monopoly and this season he has kept Everton up near the top despite playing half the season with no recognised striker.

Don't be daft.

He finished in the top 4 once. 4 years ago. He then didnt qualify for the Champions League. Never impressed in the Uefa Cup. Never really impressed in the domestic cups.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Don't be daft.

He finished in the top 4 once. 4 years ago. He then didnt qualify for the Champions League. Never impressed in the Uefa Cup. Never really impressed in the domestic cups.

alan tbh David Moyes doesnt have the cash the other top 4 teams have,which means he cant build a squad
    Limited resources etc

so to do the job he's done at everton without any cash injection is remarkable

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Don't be daft.

Dont be daft yourself, Liverpool have had about 80% more cash to flog in that time than Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

alan tbh David Moyes doesnt have the cash the other top 4 teams have,which means he cant build a squad
    Limited resources etc

so to do the job he's done at everton without any cash injection is remarkable

moyes has spent a LOT more money than people think

moyes has spent a LOT more money than people think

He hasn't spent 20million on a striker to warm the bench...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Given the decision to retire is pretty much in Fergie's hands, I think who the next manager is will depend an awful lot on when Fergie does decide to leave.

He's 67 now and has said he can't imagine himself in the job at 70. However even in spite of this I don't think the 70 year thing can be 100% set in stone. It wouldnt be the first time he changed his mind on retirement related matterrs. Its not beyond the possibility that he could stay on for five more years. By then the whole managerial landscape would most likely have changed quite a bit and a couple of the elder candidates could be less plausible i.e. Hitzfeld would be 65.

Basically I'm saying that you can't really consider who is going to follow Fergie until you at least have an idea when that will be.

Having said all that if it was the case that Fergie resigned in the summer I think Moyes and Mourinho would be among the leading candidates and given Ferguson would have an input I think Moyes could well end up with the job.

• Advertisement

Given the decision to retire is pretty much in Fergie's hands, I think who the next manager is will depend an awful lot on when Fergie does decide to leave.

He's 67 now and has said he can't imagine himself in the job at 70. However even in spite of this I don't think the 70 year thing can be 100% set in stone. It wouldnt be the first time he changed his mind on retirement related matterrs. Its not beyond the possibility that he could stay on for five more years. By then the whole managerial landscape would most likely have changed quite a bit and a couple of the elder candidates could be less plausible i.e. Hitzfeld would be 65.

Basically I'm saying that you can't really consider who is going to follow Fergie until you at least have an idea when that will be.

Having said all that if it was the case that Fergie resigned in the summer I think Moyes and Mourinho would be among the leading candidates and given Ferguson would have an input I think Moyes could well end up with the job.
    I wouldnt be suprised to see him retire this season if utd win all 5 competitions

go out with a bang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I wouldnt be suprised to see him retire this season if utd win all 5 competitions

go out with a bang

I do think that's a possibility - or even if it's only the CL and PL double;)

Can't see him leaving if he doesn't win both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'd love to see O' Neill take over the job, not so sure on Moyes though. I wouldn't like seeing the special one take over though, I could see him screwing us over in some way.

mon would probably be ran out of united by the fans within a year tbh lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

go out with a bang

I think he'll stay on for one more year to attempt to go to the top of the all time League wins with 19!

I just don't see Moyes as the next Man Utd manager tbh. He is good. I think O'Neil will succeed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

French. Laurant Blanc

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I think O'Neil will succeed him.

i dont think the united fans would put up with the brand of football or odd decisions tho

mon will get results, but i dont think he'd do it in a typical man united way. i also dont think hed take the job, hes found roughly his level with us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

French. Laurant Blanc

You may be joking, but I can see him getting the job at some point if he continues to improve as he is. He has Bordeaux 3 pts off the top in a league Lyon have ran away with each of the last 7 years.

Not the next manager though.

Maybe you weren't joking. I can never tell with this Internet sarcasm :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I really hope Mourinho doesnt come. I'd hate the thought of him managing. Although I can see it as a possibility, I don't think it will be straight away.

To the 15 persons who have voted Portugese please state who it is exactly you are hoping for. Is it Carlos Queiroz or the "other" Guy. Hope to God you'se are hoping for Carlos as the "other" fella will ruin the Man Utd way of football.

To the 15 persons who have voted Portugese please state who it is exactly you are hoping for. Is it Carlos Queiroz or the "other" Guy. Hope to God you'se are hoping for Carlos as the "other" fella will ruin the Man Utd way of football.

I voted Scottish but the poll is for Nationality of next Manchester United manager

not who do you wish but who will fergie and gill choose

i dont want Carlos Queiroz near utd tbh,did a grand job as #2 but hes not good enough to be man utd manager

bad time at R.Madrid and going very bad as a international manager

Edit: Probly being to harsh on his R.Madrid career,no manager could succed there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I can see it being the other fella, wouldn't mind him taking over because he's theo only one with the balls and arrogance to follow Fergie because no matter what they do whoever takes over will be seen as a failure and will have to deal with a lot of media pressure, wouldn't want him for his brand of football however.

I think he wants another big job, he wants out of Italy and that could well be this Summer considering all thats went on with him there and he'll win the scudetto which is all he really came to do (he wants to win the 3 big leagues apparantly). The only big job in Spain coming up that I could se him taking is Real Madrid but Perez if and when he is elected wouldn't go for him imo and the fans wouldn't want his football and short of a total meltdown Guardiola will not be leaving Barca, I couldn't see him taking over at Sevilla if indeed it came up, Valencia are in bits and Villareal would never sack pellegrini.

So if he was to go back to England for one of the big jobs who would it be? Chelsea will be vacant in the Summer but I just can't see Mourinho there again this soon. The other three big four jobs could conceivably become vacant at some stage in the next 2/3 seasons and I think he could just wait at Inter until the one he wants becomes available or leave them and take a break until the one he wants is available.

I wonder will Rooneys presence in the squad affect Moyes' chance of getting the job. The two have hardly been on the best terms the past few years, and the last thing anyone at the club would want is another falling out between the two if Moyes did join.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Spalletti for the United job would be super. 100% will not happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

if it was three years down the line i'd give Zola a run at the job. I like his style :)...it may take several attempts to find the right manager though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement