Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strumpet City

Options
  • 15-03-2009 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Quality TV drama from 1980 and the most ambitious project that RTE had ever attempted at the time.

I tried a few stores in Dublin to get it without succuss but generally available on amazon.
    That link is $44 and I only paid £20 though last week??

If you've an interest in local history then you might find it interesting. Though the Dubs here would probably recognize far more of the areas and landmarks then I did not being from Dublin.

Worth a watch folks.
    I think this post belongs here rather then Television forum as I'm aiming more at the local history aspect plus the historical events that were happening at the time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭enfeild

Chandlers Court is Henrietta Street.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

The street where Rashers worked for the pawnshop was in Collins Barracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

You can rent it for free in Rathmines public library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's now up on youtube
    Here is Episode 1 to get you started and the rest is linked.

Most public libraries have this to rent on DVD too

Sit back and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭penana

New saw the film; sounds super and I'm certainly going to try and have a look.

My husband [RIP] and I devoured Plunkett's novel shortly after its original publication in 1969. Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant!!

If you've not yet had the deep pleasure of experiencing this great book, do make a point of picking up the new-ish paperback version or get it from your library.

One of the best reads in Irish literature! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Just watched Strumpet City on YouTube - even better than I remembered (and I saw it on TV when it first came out).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 k20

HI

My Aunt got my Mum the DVD of Strumpte City last Christmas My Aunt said she got it in Golden Discs in Omni Park Shopping Center. They might still have it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 artbhoy

mikemac wrote: »
    Quality TV drama from 1980 and the most ambitious project that RTE had ever attempted at the time.

I tried a few stores in Dublin to get it without succuss but generally available on amazon.

If you've an interest in local history then you might find it interesting. Though the Dubs here would probably recognize far more of the areas and landmarks then I did not being from Dublin.

Worth a watch folks.
    I think this post belongs here rather then Television forum as I'm aiming more at the local history aspect plus the historical events that were happening at the time
    Strumpet City was an excellent programme, though Lee Dunne`s play `Goodbye to the Hill` was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

David Kelly deserved an Oscar for his performance as Rashers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

Just finished watching all 7 episodes online... I tried finding it before but it was difficult to find it without downloading. It's up here; http://tv.blinkx.com/show/strumpet-city/g04o4R5pE61uLtjn

It's quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Always meant to watch all of it. Loved the book although it's years since I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shegull

Just finished watching it now. Truly forgot just how good it was. Even the hubby was engrossed and he couldn't believe that it was good old RTE that done it. Agree about David Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I remember as a kid watching a few scences getting done on the north wall quay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Seen it again a few months ago, Great story about our city.I would recommend it to everyone to watch.

Going by a lot of posts on boards.ie (mostly AH)there still is a certain amount of bigotry and class divide that is still going on in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

mikemac wrote: »

I had being planning to buy it on dvd for some time now and got the whole eight part series on dvd for 10€ at the dvd/cd shop in the Nutgrove shopping centre , Rathfarnham when over on a vist 3 weeks ago .

I think it was the only copy he had to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

It's amazing. Watched it on DVD last winter. I wish I could get The Year Of The French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Did he join the Free State Army at the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He joined the British army and was heading off to war.

This book and show is set before the Free State came about

Joining the British army due to lack of employment and poverty was a choice many Irishmen took over the centuries

Around the Napoleonic Wars up to one third of the British army was Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Thanks. I watched the whole series but then realised that I was missing episode 6. Bit of a gap in the story!

Advertisement