Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a new car battery fitted on Sunday?

Options
  • 15-03-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

Is there any place in the city?Preferably on the western side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Try ringing Williams Motor Accessories store in Galway SC on Headford Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can easily fit one yourself if you already have it. 3 minute job.
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=how+to+change+battery+in+car

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks for the replies.
    I can't get through to Williams Motors.Typical :o

Biko you have more faith in me than I deserve. I've never even looked under the hood of a car.I don't think that even with the help of youtube I'd be safe let loose under there.:)

Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'll explain. It is much easier than you think :)

Open bonnet.
    Remove the cables from the heads of the battery (you'll need a tool to loosen the bolts)
    There are usually a bolt at the base of the battery that holds it down, loosen this.
    Remove and change over battery. Take notice to put the battery in the right way. The + and the - contacts should be clearly marked. See pic below

Tighten the hold bold at the bottom.
    Put battery cables on again, the same way you took them off.

You should really have a go yourself, it'll save you money and is easier than you think (if you have the tools).

Car-Battery-46B24R-L-_Full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

biko wrote: »
    I'll explain. It is much easier than you think :)

Open bonnet.
    Remove the cables from the heads of the battery (you'll need a tool to loosen the bolts)
    There are usually a bolt at the base of the battery that holds it down, loosen this.
    Remove and change over battery. Take notice to put the battery in the right way. The + and the - contacts should be clearly marked. See pic below

Tighten the hold bold at the bottom.
    Put battery cables on again, the same way you took them off.

You should really have a go yourself, it'll save you money and is easier than you think (if you have the tools).

Thank you for taking the time to explain that.It sounds maybe do-able...maybe. I'll have to just take a look and see what goes on beneath the bonnet someday.:)
    In the meantime a more expert opinion than my own has decided it's the altenator at fault.Looks like I'll just have to accept being stranded for a day or two until it's looked at in a garage.Thanks again though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Cars batteries are 12 volts DC. but when the engine is running you will measure 13.2 Volts across the terminals because the alternator is charging the battery and needs higher than 12 volts to do this.
    If the battery is more than 4 years old and gives slow hesitant starting on cold mornings it is worth replacing. Average battery life is 4 years and depends a lot on the pattern of driving, frequent short trips with a lot of starting will shorten battery life.
    Check and tighten cables regularly and check for corrosion ( yellow dust ) on the battery terminals every time you service the car.

Advertisement