Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine looking out your window and seeing this...

Options
  • 15-03-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

:eek::eek:

Would love to see something like that with my own eyes...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

That looks amazing, doomsday coming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

that's amazing,would love to witness something like it.love the bit where man says"you guys need to get indoors" eh no sh1t sherlock :D

ISS016-E-027034_british_isles.jpg

Looking east from a location southwest of Ireland, an astronaut took this nighttime panorama of population centers in Ireland and the United Kingdom. Image ISS016-E-27034 was taken on February 1, 2008, using a 28 mm lens.

now that would be a room with a view:D

or the southern lights from your space shuttle window,always knew i wanted to be an astronaut.

ISS006-E-28961.jpg

ISS016-E-27426.jpg

Cumulonimbus Cloud over Africa
    Perhaps the most impressive of cloud formations, cumulonimbus (from the Latin for “pile” and “rain cloud”) clouds form due to vigorous convection (rising and overturning) of warm, moist, and unstable air. Surface air is warmed by the Sun-heated ground surface and rises; if sufficient atmospheric moisture is present, water droplets will condense as the air mass encounters cooler air at higher altitudes. The air mass itself also expands and cools as it rises due to decreasing atmospheric pressure, a process known as adiabatic cooling. This type of convection is common in tropical latitudes year-round and during the summer season at higher latitudes.

As water in the rising air mass condenses and changes from a gas to a liquid state, it releases energy to its surroundings, further heating the surrounding air and leading to more convection and rising of the cloud mass to higher altitudes. This leads to the characteristic vertical “towers” associated with cumulonimbus clouds, an excellent example of which is visible in this astronaut photograph. If enough moisture is present to condense and heat the cloud mass through several convective cycles, a tower can rise to altitudes of approximately 10 kilometers at high latitudes and to 20 kilometers in the tropics before encountering a region of the atmosphere known as the tropopause—the boundary between the troposphere and the stratosphere.

The tropopause is characterized by a strong temperature inversion. Beyond the tropopause, the air no longer gets colder as altitude increases. The tropopause halts further upward motion of the cloud mass. The cloud tops flatten and spread into an anvil shape, as illustrated by this astronaut photograph. The photo was taken from a viewpoint that was at an angle from the vertical, rather than looking straight down towards the Earth’s surface. The image, taken while the International Space Station was located over western Africa near the Senegal-Mali border, shows a fully formed anvil cloud with numerous smaller cumulonimbus towers rising near it. The high energy levels of these storm systems typically make them hazardous due to associated heavy precipitation, lightning, high wind speeds and possible tornadoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

redsunset wrote: »
    ISS016-E-027034_british_isles.jpg

Looking east from a location southwest of Ireland, an astronaut took this nighttime panorama of population centers in Ireland and the United Kingdom. Image ISS016-E-27034 was taken on February 1, 2008, using a 28 mm lens.

now that would be a room with a view:D

Oh dear , forgot to light the candle that night :rolleyes: .......some piccy though lad , have u a link ........cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

1eb38045a.jpg

The twin towers of light, made-up of 44 searchlights near Ground Zero, are meant to represent the fallen twin towers of the World Trade Center.

Beautiful redsunset. my name.what pic suits your profile name best?

0c94cb04a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Todays webcam view from zermatt , the graveyard contains the remains of many many people who have fallen to their death from the matterhorn in the background .

zermatt.jpg

typical headstones , my pics from july 07 , the mountains above zermatt.

img00012k.jpgimg00023.jpg
    took this pic 8/7/07 (app 9500ft asl)

getattachmentcafzx1rr.jpg

the next two @app 12800ft 8/7/07 , the2nd a climbers emergency hut @13100ft and my highest point in the alps.

aa2t.jpgaa3c.jpg

so this (as above) is what i want to see thru my window :p when i win the lotto ;) .........prob a better chance of seeing this (below):rolleyes:.

aa1w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

:eek::eek:

Would love to see something like that with my own eyes...

Shur just come over to my house and watch herself come home after a bad day at work....same thing!

• Advertisement

beautiful rainbow i captured
    over a field near paulstown
    co kilkenny
    03072008%28003%29.jpg

Advertisement