Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to Ashbourne

Options
  • 15-03-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi Folks,

myself and my partner have just bought a house in ashbourne,
    and need some help,

if anyone can give us some information on any of the following we'd be much appreciated :)

home phone/tv/broadband packages..do ntl work in ashbourne for all 3 or can u just get the tv
    we want to get the sky plus, but its exp, so wondering if the ntl version of that is available, says its not on their website, but worth asking in case website is old.

also refuse, whats the story here i've heard there are 2 options, can someone give some more insight into this,

also the retail park, i cant find any info on it, what shops are there and what more is due in the 2nd phase of it, i saw a cinema is coming :)

if there is anything else that anyone can think of that would be usefull to us moving down there, we'd love to hear from u.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

spontits wrote: »
    we want to get the sky plus, but its exp, so wondering if the ntl version of that is available, says its not on their website, but worth asking in case website is old.

Go to the Tech section on this site and follow this route: Cable & Digital T.V - Satellite. There are a lot of stations which are Free to Air (FTA) on digital Satellite. You do not need to subscribe to NTL. You could get a FTA system installed. Check out the above mentioned section to find out what stations are available FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

spontits wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

myself and my partner have just bought a house in ashbourne,
    and need some help,

if anyone can give us some information on any of the following we'd be much appreciated :)

home phone/tv/broadband packages..do ntl work in ashbourne for all 3 or can u just get the tv

also refuse, whats the story here i've heard there are 2 options, can someone give some more insight into this,

also the retail park, i cant find any info on it, what shops are there and what more is due in the 2nd phase of it, i saw a cinema is coming :)

if there is anything else that anyone can think of that would be usefull to us moving down there, we'd love to hear from u.

Thanks in advance

Hey there!

Not sure about what particular type of NTL is availabe in Ash as I went with Sky. My house was pre-wired for NTL and I know they have MMDS out this way too. Your best best is to give them a call. Do you know if your house is prewired? You moving to an estate?

Refuse. There are two companies. I use Thorntons, who collect rubbish every Wednesday morning and recycling every other Monday. You can get a wheelie bin or buy bags in the local shops. There is another crowd, but I can't think of their name at the moment.

The retail park has 4Home (DIY stuff), Argos Extra, Equipet, Expert Electrical, a lighting place, tile/bathroom shop and furniture place. Cinema is indeed on the way too.

If you need to know anything else, just shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 spontits

hey guys,
    thanks for that info,

so the bins and bags.. interesting!! will prob need the bins, handier. dog would prob chew through the bags :) is it exp do you know off hand?

yeah moving to ashewood, dunno if its prewired, for tv at al.. hmm is that important? i'm new to all this, and starting to panic...

I'm paying 280 per year for the wheelie bins. Not sure how much the bags work out at, but with the bags, you dont get recycling.

Dont be getting wound up about the TV. If it's not pre-wired for NTL cable, it should be easy enough to get the aerial service or Sky in instead.

If you need to know anything else, shout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Sanerah

Welcome to Ashbourne!!first of all, pat yourself on the back cos you've picked the best place in Meath to live in!

I use McMahons bin tags. You've to register with them and they'll provide a black bin (they also do recyling bins too) They collect bins every Wednesdays (at 6.30am so you gotta put them out Tuesday evenings) A tag costs 10euro, you can get them at Supervalu. I usually put my bin out every 2-3 weeks so it saves me a fortune. There's only two of us in the house. So i pay on average 120-150e a year for the black bin.

I use Thornton Recycling bags, it costs 3.20e per bag you can get them at Supervalu. It works out cheaper the bin tags (I forget how but it does). I think if you use Thornton Bins they provide recycling bins for free. Check that out.

I use Sky, our house was pre-wired for NTL but I don't like NTL, their subtitling is crap (Im Deaf so I rely on subtitles) plus you've the luxury of taping stuff! I pay 41e a month on Sky.

For the internet, I use eircom. I've heard nothing but terrible stuff about Perlico and Ice. Eircom is the safest best if you want to rely on consitent internet. You can also consider the mobile broadband. In the Alderbrook area, the 02 mobile broadband works best, 3 seems to work well anywhere. I pay on average 50e a month for eircom.

Bottle banks are in the car park beside supervalu.

The best pub to be in is Kellys!!

The best restaurant in Ashbourne is Eatzen, the food there is to die for and the service is so friendly! It comes highly recommended!

The cafe inside Supervalu serves nice breakfast especially on a Sunday after a heavy night out!

Hope you both are happy here!!

• Advertisement

Sanerah wrote: »
    I use eircom. I've heard nothing but terrible stuff about Perlico and Ice. Eircom is the safest best if you want to rely on consitent internet.

Avoid Ice like the plague....see the thread in the broadband section about them. They are so bad it's been stickied!
    Sanerah wrote: »
    The best restaurant in Ashbourne is Eatzen, the food there is to die for and the service is so friendly! It comes highly recommended!

Eatzen is lovely but very pricey. La Bucca and Corks do great food too. And the Deli Store behind Murtaghs Hardware store is good for sandwiches and paninis.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauldaly1888

hi, i live in ashewood too. houses are prewired for ntl well mine was anyway. if youve bought it new i dont know but should be. thorntons bins are 280 per annum and its pay by weight. if you use very little the following year it will drop to 180 or if you go over a specific weight it goes up to 300 and odd the next year. ashewood is great but the value of my house has fallen greatly since i bought it. sniff sniff:mad:

Advertisement