Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Religiouse Humour thread?

Options
  • 15-03-2009 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Look I find some of the funniest jokes to be those based around religion,Like I do find the Jesus/Mohammed LOL thread to be bloody hilariouse but what I dont get is...How can a thread be pinned in the atheist & Agnostic forum thats soley based on jokes made at the expense of religion.It's like having one pinned for racist jokes or having a thread based solely on disability jokes in the sports section.

If your going to have it anywhere atleast put it in the Humour forum or/and keep it to individual threads.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Seloth wrote: »
    It's like having one pinned for racist jokes or having a thread based solely on disability jokes in the sports section.
    Not really. It's like having anti Windows jokes on the Mac forum.

Why is it a problem for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Not so much myself but in allfairness you cant compare tech too this..Thats why I left out one political view mocking another,I just think its a bit much for that section.Like as I mentioned above if I tried starting a disabilty jokes thread in the sports section I would be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

if I tried starting a disabilty jokes thread in the sports section I would be banned.
    People aren't disabled by choice. Religious people do however have a choice in wheter or not to believe in their fairy stories.

if I tried starting a disabilty jokes thread in the sports section I would be banned.
    Religion is not a disability..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Actually some people are born to be geneticaly more spiritual so if you wish to say it that way it is the same.

And how did I state it was a disability,I am merely making a comparision,If you wish me to put it into another context fine,Its like me going into the region forums and creating joke a pinned joke thread about the people from the UK.

Please refrain from insults muckwarrior,What I am saying is that ist just dosent seem very pc,In allfairness things can be a bit too pc but that would be if you banned any jokes based on religion inthe humour section,But for a section which is ment to discuss diffrent view points and ideas it dosent seem very right.If in all fairness some one made a joke during a thread or pointed out an article then that would be fine,but one that directly attacks it in a place for actuall discussion on a topic dosent seem fair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Are you religious and it bothers you?
    Seems to me, if you know you are going to be offended or not find something funny, you should probably not read it.
    I see nothing wrong with that thread and have gotten many a good laugh from it.
    Lets not kill the spirit of this site by being overly PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Look I find some of the funniest jokes to be those based around religion,

Ah, the immortal words of a religious fanatic..

like... im not a racist but them blacks are eating ll our swans...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Its like me going into the region forums and creating joke a pinned joke thread about the people from the UK.

Eh no, it would be like going into the religion forums and creating a joke thread about atheists. I can't see how the thread in question could belong more anywhere else tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Actually some people are born to be geneticaly more spiritual so if you wish to say it that way it is the same.

I'd actually like to see definitive proof of this.

People use the genetics thing as an excuse for everything these days.
    I'm genetically lazy, so I'm going to spend the rest of my life on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Just look at it in a positive sense OP. I see that thread as a symbol of A&A's obsession with Religion.:pac: It says more about the posters who actively take part in it than it does about religious people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Just look at it in a positive sense OP. I see that thread as a symbol of A&A's obsession with Religion.:pac: It says more about the posters who actively take part in it than it does about religious people.

Now I'm left wondering what it "says" about the people who post in it...

Now I'm left wondering what it "says" about the people who post in it...

That's how I role, I like to keep them guessing.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Gordon wrote: »
    Not really. It's like having anti Windows jokes on the Mac forum.

Why is it a problem for you?

Would a Muslim jokes sticky be ok in Christianity ?

jhegarty wrote: »
    Would a Muslim jokes sticky be ok in Christianity ?
    I doubt it. I doubt a buddhist jokes sticky or hinduism jokes sticky is not ok, it's a tad off-topic too. Might want to ask the Christianity mods that one also to get some further clarification, jhegarty.

Why is Jesus lol/Mohammed lol ok if a thread poking fun at religion in general is not ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Probably not, because it's considered good manners if you're religious, to be respectful towards other religions.
    And how did I state it was a disability,I am merely making a comparision
    Yes, but you're not comparing like with like. Making fun of people for something they didn't choose to be, is far less reasonable than making fun of people for something they did choose to be/believe in.
    If you wish me to put it into another context fine,Its like me going into the region forums and creating joke a pinned joke thread about the people from the UK.
    Again, not comparing like with like. And also, that kind of thread would just be considered off-topic in the Region forums. The Region forums don't celebrate a particular region and therefore mock the English - they simply offer information about various regions.
    What I am saying is that ist just dosent seem very pc
    But why should it be PC?
    But for a section which is ment to discuss diffrent view points and ideas it dosent seem very right.If in all fairness some one made a joke during a thread or pointed out an article then that would be fine,but one that directly attacks it in a place for actuall discussion on a topic dosent seem fair.
    Atheism is based on the notion that a higher power doesn't exist at all, and an extension of this is to ridicule it. Don't see the harm when atheists consider religion ludicrous.
    snyper wrote: »
    Ah, the immortal words of a religious fanatic..

like... im not a racist but them blacks are eating ll our swans...
    That's unfair snyper.
    What does it say?

I doubt it. I doubt a buddhist jokes sticky or hinduism jokes sticky is not ok, it's a tad off-topic too. Might want to ask the Christianity mods that one also to get some further clarification, jhegarty.

Why is Jesus lol/Mohammed lol ok if a thread poking fun at religion in general is not ok?

I think that's his point. A Muslim jokes thread would surely not be tolerated in the Christianity forum so why should a Christian jokes thread be tolerated in A&A?

I think that's his point. A Muslim jokes thread would surely not be tolerated in the Christianity forum so why should a Christian jokes thread be tolerated in A&A?
    No, that's not his point.
    Look I find some of the funniest jokes to be those based around religion,Like I do find the Jesus/Mohammed LOL thread to be bloody hilariouse
    Jesus lol and mohd lol are ok, but religion lol is not, if it is in the atheism forum. It's ok if it's in the humour forum is his point.

Dudess wrote: »
    What does it say?

I find the thread pointless really, and slightly immature. Maybe I'm too up tight about these things.
    No, that's not his point.

Jesus lol and mohd lol are ok, but religion lol is not, if it is in the atheism forum. It's ok if it's in the humour forum is his point.

I was actually referring to jhegarty's point. I thought that would have been clear since I quoted your response to jhegarty.

I find the thread pointless really, and slightly immature. Maybe I'm too up tight about these things.

I was actually referring to jhegarty's point. I thought that would have been clear since I quoted your response to jhegarty.
    The point of this thread is about the religious humour thread belonging in the Atheism forum or the Humour forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The thread exists on A&A because the majority of posters do not subscribe to the view that organised religion is so precious and fragile that it can't be subject to the satire that every other walk of life is. It started off small, then became big, and then got stickied.

There are many posts in that thread that have been deleted as bad taste, and perhaps some remain that are close to the line, but for the most part they humour is fairly innocuous. And the report post option is of course available to anyone.
    LZ5by5 wrote:
    That's pretty much me and most of After Hours, which is why I don't spend time there. Problem solved. :)

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    That's pretty much me and most of After Hours, which is why I don't spend time there. Problem solved. :)

That is also me and After Hours.:pac:

It's not that I can't appreciate a joke. I just feel that having a thread, whether it's lighthearted or not, which ridicules something which for a lot of people gives them meaning in their lives (and which gives them strength to keep going in the face of tragedy) is in bad taste.

I think if it was in the Humour Forum it would somewhat diminish that bad taste.

That is an opinion that I would like think is from a neutral stand point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd like to thank this thread for bringing that thread to my attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

It just goes to show you can't be too careful!

I just feel that having a thread, whether it's lighthearted or not, which ridicules something which for a lot of people gives them meaning in their lives

Again, I will repeat, if it offends, don't read it.
    If we were to get rid of every humorous thing that offended somebody, there would be nothing left.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    If we were to get rid of every humorous thing that offended somebody, there would be nothing left.

I ignore what the KKK say, that doesn't mean I don't know it's there and that it offends me deeply by its' mere presence. There are plenty of posters who post in that thread who have no qualms about showing their utter contempt for religion in general in the A&A forum. Just because they represent their contempt in that thread through humour doesn't mean I have to accept it with indifference.

Extreme example, all the same though.

There are plenty of posters who post in that thread who have no qualms about showing their utter contempt for religion in general in the A&A forum.

And they have every right to do so.
    Just because they represent their contempt in that thread through humour doesn't mean I have to accept it with indifference.

You don't have to accept it. But you do have to accept the right of people to post their views on the subject.
    As I said, don't read it if it bothers you.
    I don't read the other religious forums because I think that religion is on a par with Santa Claus and anyone who still follows it after the age of 12 needs their head read.
    I'm not going to post a thread in Feedback asking for them to stop though....
    That would be unfair of me, wouldn't it?

And they have every right to do so.

You don't have to accept it. But you do have to accept the right of people to post their views on the subject.
    As I said, don't read it if it bothers you.
    I don't read the other religious forums because I think that religion is on a par with Santa Claus and anyone who still follows it after the age of 12 needs their head read.
    I'm not going to post a thread in Feedback asking for them to stop though....
    That would be unfair of me, wouldn't it?

It's unfair of you to question the mental compacity of those who believe in religion. It would also I'll concede be unfair of you to try and create a thread asking to stop people from practicing religion.

My original point in this thread though was that the Christianity Forum wouldn't be allowed to entertain a thread taking the piss out of Muslims I imagine. So why should A&A be allowed to have a thread that takes the piss out of religion?

These forums are absolutely serious in their nature with regular debates that descend into posters showing their utter contempt for religion and ridicule people who live their lives abiding to religion. Don't you think it's rubbing salt into the wounds to have jokes in a serious forum which consists of such heated debates? It's irrelevant whether you read the thread or not. You know what's going on by justing look at name of the thread. You'd have to be a simpleton not to acknowledge that there is a thread (with humour or not) insulting how you live your life.

And it's not that easy to say religious people have a choice. These people are products of their social construct, it is quite difficult to break the mould and go against your family when you're being fed religion from the day you've been born. I managed to do it, but it wasn't without dealing with some real serious ****ty times. I wouldn't hold it against anyone for not wanting to go through what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's not that I can't appreciate a joke. I just feel that having a thread, whether it's lighthearted or not, which ridicules something which for a lot of people gives them meaning in their lives (and which gives them strength to keep going in the face of tragedy) is in bad taste.

I think if it was in the Humour Forum it would somewhat diminish that bad taste.
    But surely A&A is also a logical place for it? In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if religious people were more likely to read Humour than a forum that denies/questions the existence of god.
    It's unfair of you to question the mental compacity of those who believe in religion.
    It's just an opinion though. I don't think Beruthiel literally means it's "mad" - just baffling.
    My original point in this thread though was that the Christianity Forum wouldn't be allowed to entertain a thread taking the piss out of Muslims I imagine.
    Because it would be bad form to allow one religion mock another - a mature and tolerant religious person would be respectful to other religions.
    So why should A&A be allowed to have a thread that takes the piss out of religion?
    Because A&A denies/questions the existence of god. It's not comparable with a religious forum.
    These forums are absolutely serious in their nature with regular debates that descend into posters showing their utter contempt for religion and ridicule people who live their lives abiding to religion. Don't you think it's rubbing salt into the wounds to have jokes in a serious forum which consists of such heated debates? It's irrelevant whether you read the thread or not. You know what's going on by justing look at name of the thread. You'd have to be a simpleton not to acknowledge that there is a thread (with humour or not) insulting how you live your life.
    Put the shoe on the other foot - what about when christians make a mockery of the likes of me who is agnostic, or of atheists? I find the arrogance awesome. That's insulting how I live my life, but I don't pay any attention to it. You can choose to be insulted - as Eleanor Roosevelt said: "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

LZ5by5 wrote:
    My original point in this thread though was that the Christianity Forum wouldn't be allowed to entertain a thread taking the piss out of Muslims I imagine. So why should A&A be allowed to have a thread that takes the piss out of religion?
    The point of the A&A forum is to discuss religious beliefs (or lack thereof), and the effects on society, historically and continuing. As with politics, satire and humour become part and parcel of any debate. Besides, it's a thread in the Atheism & Agnosticism forum. If you've found it you're already out of your comfort zone.

And let's face it, religions are funny. Most of the stuff in the thread simply highlights daftness inherent in the whole tapestry of religion. :)
    LZ5by5 wrote:
    It's unfair of you to question the mental compacity of those who believe in religion
    LZ5by5 wrote:
    These people are products of their social construct
    Question the mental capacity of those social products? Never!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just on that point, if that is the case then why isn't the Humour forum a free for all with it's content? It's very much censored with threads shipped off to 'other places'.

Advertisement