Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Religiouse Humour thread?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Dudess wrote: »
    But surely A&A is also a logical place for it? In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if religious people were more likely to read Humour than a forum that denies/questions the existence of god.

I wouldn't imagine so. A&A's regular posters consist of a fair few Christians wanting to fight their corner. The same goes for the Christianity Forum, it's fair share of regular posters are atheists. The difference is though the atheists going into the Cristianity forum aren't welcomed by a thread which states "Mockery of Non-believers"
    It's just an opinion though. I don't think Beruthiel literally means it's "mad" - just baffling.
    anyone who still follows it after the age of 12 needs their head read.

Seems like Beruthiel is suggesting religious people are lacking a certain part of the brain.
    Because it would be bad form to allow one religion mock another - a mature and tolerant religious person would be respectful to other religions.

Because A&A denies/questions the existence of god. It's not comparable with a religious forum.

Every religion thinks the other is ultimately wrong. Every atheist thinls every religion is ultimately wrong. I think it's quite comparable, just because atheists might have a perceived notion of "superiority" in the debate doesn't mean they are above being held up for mocking religion.
    Put the shoe on the other foot - what about when christians make a mockery of the likes of me who is agnostic, or of atheists? I find the arrogance awesome. That's insulting how I live my life, but I don't pay any attention to it. You can choose to be insulted - as Eleanor Roosevelt said: "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission".

I'm agnostic and I don't have any qualms with their beliefs. I don't think religious people are trying to actively take the piss out of me, it's just their honest belief, a belief which I've said has been with them from the moment they have been born (excluding born agains of course). But do I think that thread in A&A is actively taking the piss? I sure do.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    It's unfair of you to question the mental compacity of those who believe in religion.

Why is it unfair of me to question peoples belief system?
    Do I not have the right to question the reasons for these beliefs and why they still have them?
    As Dudess said, I find it baffling that a person can hold onto something that they were taught as a child without ever questioning it.
    My original point in this thread though was that the Christianity Forum wouldn't be allowed to entertain a thread taking the piss out of Muslims I imagine.

Perhaps I'll apply to be allowed to moderate the Christianity forum, my first ruling will be to allow them to do so.
    So why should A&A be allowed to have a thread that takes the piss out of religion?

Why not?
    Most of us were brought up in some religion or other. For some of us, it was bet into us.
    As we look back on the absurdity of it all, how can we not take the piss!
    And it's not that easy to say religious people have a choice. These people are products of their social construct, it is quite difficult to break the mould and go against your family when you're being fed religion from the day you've been born.

I don't buy that for one nano second.
    I was brought up in an extreemly religious family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't think religious people are trying to actively take the piss out of me
    Well of course not ALL of them are, but obviously some are.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Why is it unfair of me to question peoples belief system?
    Do I not have the right to question the reasons for these beliefs and why they still have them?
    As Dudess said, I find it baffling that a person can hold onto something that they were taught as a child without ever questioning it.

Your are not questioning someone's belief system. You are questioning the intelligence of a person just because of their religion. You said they need their head read, that is pretty insulting to suggest that they are lacking a certain part of the brain.

The difference between you and me is that I'm not for total and free reign freedom of speech/expression. When one's right to freedom of speech makes someone feel like the smallest person around just because of their religious beliefs alone, I find that unacceptable. Just like I find it unacceptable that the BNP and the KKK are allowed to insult countless races with countless false claims of genetic superiorty.

Perhaps I'll apply to be allowed to moderate the Christianity forum, my first ruling will be to allow them to do so.

I'm sure it would. I look forward to all the extra work you'll get in this forum due to threads from pissed off muslims.:)
    Why not?
    Most of us were brought up in some religion or other. For some of us, it was bet into us.
    As we look back on the absurdity of it all, how can we not take the piss!

How can you not take the piss? By showing some self restraint and common sense I suppose. Just because you grew up in a volatile religious environment where you got it "bet" into you doesn't give you the right to ridicule everyone of religious belief.
    I don't buy that for one nano second.
    I was brought up in an extreemly religious family.

As did I, and as I said, I wouldn't wish the personal turmoil I went through after losing my faith on anyone. When someone gets separated from something they believed all their lives it can have catastrophic ramifications.

I'm sorry but why do religion and religious people deserve to be put on a pedestal? Why should even those who think it's a load of wankology feel an obligation to be respectful of it? You mention race hate groups but that's entirely different - they're inciting hatred of people because they were born with a particular skin colour, nothing they asked for.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but why do religion and religious people deserve to be put on a pedestal? Why should even those who think it's a load of wankology feel an obligation to be respectful of it? You mention race hate groups but that's entirely different - they're inciting hatred of people because they were born with a particular skin colour, nothing they asked for.

That is true, but I also mentioned how religious people are products of their environment. From the moment you are born you are taught the respective beliefs of your parents and your family. As I said, if you really believe it for a significant portion of your life, to suddenly get separeted by those beliefs can have catastrophic ramifications. It is almost like it is a part of you. It's much more complicated than simply being a choice.

And you're right in a sense, religion shouldn't be put on a pedestal while other social issues are open to ridicule. But A&A is a serious place for serious discussion, it's not South Park.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just on that point, if that is the case then why isn't the Humour forum a free for all with it's content? It's very much censored with threads shipped off to 'other places'.

No idea Xavi6, I haven't been in that forum for years so cannot comment on how it's run.
    I presume they have their reasons, a bit like soccer, in so far as, rules tend to change as some numpty does or says something that pushes the mods to add a new rule.

Your are not questioning someone's belief system. You are questioning the intelligence of a person just because of their religion. You said they need their head read, that is pretty insulting to suggest that they are lacking a certain part of the brain.

And?
    Do I not still have the right to hold that view, even if you don't like it?
    You see, I don't actually care if a religious person doesn't like my view on their belief system. I do not go out of my way to point out this fact to them on a regular basis. You will not find any comments from me 'insulting' them in the religious forums.
    I stick to the A&A where I can say what I think. Just as the religious people can say what they think in their forums without my comment or interference.
    However, from your POV, I'm not allowed to do that. :/
    The difference between you and me is that I'm not for total and free reign freedom of speech/expression. When one's right to freedom of speech makes someone feel like the smallest person around just because of their religious beliefs alone.

If someone else feels small because of something I've said then they should question that.
    Nobody can make me feel small, I wouldn't allow it, I have more confidence in the type of person I am and nothing anyone says to me could change that.
    I'm happy with myself you see.
    doesn't give you the right to ridicule everyone of religious belief.

Again, I'm not seeing why not if I so wish to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The difference is though the atheists going into the Cristianity forum aren't welcomed by a thread which states "Mockery of Non-believers"
    You can bet your life though they wouldn't be offended by it!
    And you're right in a sense, religion shouldn't be put on a pedestal while other social issues are open to ridicule. But A&A is a serious place for serious discussion, it's not South Park.
    I think this calls for a brief history of the Religious Humour thread...

It was never intended to be a sticky, but regular posters would add to the thread rather than clutter up the 'intelligent'* threads. This was a good thing as there were always people starting new threads with humour of some sort. Eventually we started moving any new threads into this, and finally stickied it. Without the thread we would have two choices: (a) Allow a new thread every time someone had something humourous they wanted to share, or (b) disallow any humour at all.

Now wouldn't either of those be a step backwards?

* May contain only traces of intelligence

And?
    Do I not still have the right to hold that view, even if you don't like it?
    You see, I don't actually care if a religious person doesn't like my view on their belief system. I do not go out of my way to point out this fact to them on a regular basis. You will not find any comments from me 'insulting' them in the religious forums.
    I stick to the A&A where I can say what I think. Just as the religious people can say what they think in their forums without my comment or interference.
    However, from your POV, I'm not allowed to do that. :/

You have the right unfortunately. Unfortunately I have to live with it when I see people trying to take some line of superiority over another just because of one's religious views.

It would be nice to think that people post in the forums that only agree with them. However, the nature of human life is to question, and as I said earlier, atheists actively go into the christianity forum and vice versa. If I was a Christian (or an Atheist for that matter) I would rather have a reasonable discussion than being dismissed with a notion of superiority by telling me to get my "head read" for still believing as an adult.

If someone else feels small because of something I've said then they should question that.
    Nobody can make me feel small, I wouldn't allow it, I have more confidence in the type of person I am and nothing anyone says to me could change that.
    I'm happy with myself you see.

Agreed. But that doesn't mean you deserve to be treated like a second class citizen. Take the "Would you date a religious person" thread in A&A for example. Just look at some of the posts in that thread. Now if I was a religious person, no matter how much confidence I have in myself, you cannot help but feel like **** when someone is judging you without actually knowing you.

Again, I'm not seeing why not if I so wish to.

I think I've covered that above Beruthiel.

Dades wrote: »
    You can bet your life though they wouldn't be offended by it!

Really? What if they were jokes about Homosexuality? About abortion? About how everything happens for a reason that's why your sister died from cancer? Or about how non-believers will burn in hell. Are you telling me jokes about the above subjects wouldn't piss you off in the slightest?

I think this calls for a brief history of the Religious Humour thread...
    It was never intended to be a sticky, but regular posters would add to the thread rather than clutter up the 'intelligent'* threads. This was a good thing as there were always people starting new threads with humour of some sort. Eventually we started moving any new threads into this, and finally stickied it. Without the thread we would have two choices: (a) Allow a new thread every time someone had something humourous they wanted to share, or (b) disallow any humour at all.

Now wouldn't either of those be a step backwards?

* May contain only traces of intelligence

Fair point and I appreciate what you are saying Dades, that's the only thing you could have done if posters can't be mature and show some self-restraint in a serious forum.:pac:

• Advertisement

But that doesn't mean you deserve to be treated like a second class citizen.

Again. I don't go into the religious forums and treat anyone like a second class citizen, I don't feel the need to point out what I think of their beliefs on a regular basis.
    If however you are religious and decide to read the A&A forum then be prepared to not like everything you read.
    If it makes you feel like a second class citizen, well, I've covered that above already.
    Take the "Would you date a religious person" thread in A&A for example. Just look at some of the posts in that thread.

They are honest opinions of how people think and how they live their lives.
    You want them to lie about it?
    Or shove it under the carpet and pretend that sort of thinking doesn't exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Really? What if they were jokes about Homosexuality? About abortion? About how everything happens for a reason that's why your sister died from cancer? Or about how non-believers will burn in hell. Are you telling me jokes about the above subjects wouldn't piss you off in the slightest?

If they bothered him, he wouldnt HAVE TO read the thread.

Saying something along the lines of "Hey God killed your sister te-he-he" wont bother an Atheist, they'd be more inclined to suggest you get your head cheacked.....:pac:

Oh no I have to say I found some of the comments on that thread in relation to religious people who are otherwise all right to be extremely judgemental, presumptuous and condescending. I don't consider the humorous thread in A&A to be on a par though.

Again. I don't go into the religious forums and treat anyone like a second class citizen, I don't feel the need to point out what I think of their beliefs on a regular basis.
    If however you are religious and decide to read the A&A forum then be prepared to not like everything you read.
    If it makes you feel like a second class citizen, well, I've covered that above already.

I'm not religious. I've already pointed out that, like you, I grew up in a strict religious environment and like you I don't believe any more. You didn't respond to me when I said that.

Nope I don't think they should lie, I'm just disgusted that someone could dismiss someone at the drop of a hat just because they are religious, without actually getting to know the person. If someone wants to treat another like dirt then there is unfortunately nothing I can do about that.
    Originally posted by Fad
    If they bothered him, he wouldnt HAVE TO read the thread.

Saying something along the lines of "Hey God killed your sister te-he-he" wont bother an Atheist, they'd be more inclined to suggest you get your head cheacked.....pacman.gif

Wouldn't that reaction be born out of anger though? If you really didn't care wouldn't you just ignore it and be on your way without even giving the satisfaction of a reply?

I'm just disgusted that someone could dismiss someone at the drop of a hat just because they are religious, without actually getting to know the person.

You mean the same way one can dismiss a potential partner based on them being too tall/too short/too fat/too thin/too ugly/too emo/too rocker/too old/too young etc...?

You mean the same way one can dismiss a potential partner based on them being too tall/too short/too fat/too thin/too ugly/too emo/too rocker/too old/too young etc...?

It's not the same. Case in point;

You see a short person. You decide that he's not for you on the spot. Is it bad form? Perhaps, but you cannot help who you are physically attracted to. That unfortunately is a part of human nature, it's not a conscious decision, and I accept that.

You see a person you are attracted to on the spot. You get talking to him/her, things are going well. The personality is one which is compatable with your own. Everything is telling you this person is a wonderful person and you are onto a winner. Suddenly, religion comes into the conversation. You casually mention you are a catholic/muslim/atheist etc etc. You make a conscious decision to not give the peson any more time and to blank him. You don't even give them a chance to elaborate on exactly how they are religious, and how it affects their every day decisions in life. You make a decision consciously see a stereotype and don't give him/her a second thought, disgusted at the thought that you were even talking to a religious person.

See the difference Beruthiel?

See the difference Beruthiel?

Nope.
    It's no different from not wanting to be with someone because they are too boring/too slow/too funny/not funny enough/too sensitive/not sensitive enough/too emotional/not emotional enough/too religious/too much into their football/stamp collection, whatever...

Nope.
    It's no different from not wanting to be with someone because they are too boring/too slow/too funny/not funny enough/too sensitive/not sensitive enough/too emotional/not emotional enough/too religious/too much into their football/stamp collection, whatever...

I guess instead of going around in circles, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've said what I've wanted to say in this thread, and I don't think my rep has been too damaged by it.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just on that point, if that is the case then why isn't the Humour forum a free for all with it's content? It's very much censored with threads shipped off to 'other places'.

Its more of a "won't somebody think of the children" kinda way we run it, and think of people that view the forum in work.

NSFW and jokes that cross the line get moved/edited/deleted where appropriate.

Minors read the Humour forum. Minors don't read the other place. That is the main difference.

The Jesus & Muhammad LOL threads aren't there to offended. They're there because they're funny.

We've an old thread in the mod forum about it from last year or the year before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Which is why the religouse humour thread should be moved to the humour section...There is some funny stuff in there but it's place isnt in a place to actually discuss religion.

As LZ5by5 pointed out a Muslim joke thread would not be tolerated in the Christianity forum and so fort.It would be more logical to have it in ther humour section rather than the palce to have actualy seriouse discussions.

I find it quite funy that the mods keeps saying or asking questions on things that have already been awsnered...GUys please read the posts :p.

And why not just move the threads posted with the joke too the humour section...Its not hard and it would seperate the seriouse from the non.This isnt putting religion on a pedestle its just organizational...It's like putting a Comedian in the Dáil((Guys no "Oh'they'e all jokers in there" jokes etc..tis not te topic :P)).There are jokes said but thats a one line saying or such within a speech(i.e. a thread),yet there would not be an enitre gathering (i.e. a thread) for a target joke,you go too the cinema,theatre,etc for that.

Like the jokes in the Religiouse humour thread arent there to offend but there in a place where it would seem to be that way.

• Advertisement

I'm having difficulty visualising this hypothetical situation, tbh!
    Oh no I have to say I found some of the comments on that thread in relation to religious people who are otherwise all right to be extremely judgemental, presumptuous and condescending. I don't consider the humorous thread in A&A to be on a par though.
    Unfortunately people who are judgmental, presumptuous and condescending must be given the right to express an honest opinion. :pac:

Seloth wrote: »
    Which is why the religious humour thread should be moved to the humour section...There is some funny stuff in there but it's place isnt in a place to actually discuss religion.

Why are you so insistent on that?
    Why does it matter to you so much?

People from the Xtian forum etc browse the humor forum, they hardly want a dig at their religion, and these people are less likely to browse A&A. So why move it?

Basically if you don't like it, don't get involved.

Fecking hell..Read past posts will you..I have no problem with it....Just its location.People from the Christian forums will also browse the A&A forum but I'm sure they dont give two thoughts on the thread and probably find the jokes funny,I'm just making a point on it's location.
    Unfortunately people who are judgmental, presumptuous and condescending must be given the right to express an honest opinion.

*Shudders*Fred Phelps and his "fag!"soldiers and Godhatesireland.com lol

Fecking hell..Read past posts will you..I have no problem with it....Just its location.People from the Christian forums will also browse the A&A forum but I'm sure they dont give two thoughts on the thread and probably find the jokes funny,I'm just making a point on it's location.

My point is that SOME posters from Xtianity will browse A&A, that does not mean all, if they don't want to have their belief system challenged/insulted they can avoid A&A. Why make it that they might have to avoid humor too?

Why do you have a problem with its location?
    Cant you just leave it be, where it was, absolutely fine until you decided it was a problem........

Why do you have a problem with its location?
    Again read past posts
    It's like putting a Comedian in the Dáil((Guys no "Oh'they'e all jokers in there" jokes etc..tis not te topic )).There are jokes said but thats a one line saying or such within a speech(i.e. a thread),yet there would not be an enitre gathering (i.e. a thread) for a target joke,you go too the cinema,theatre,etc for that.

Point being its just not the area for a fully dedicated thread..It should be moved too humour section.But even so,Having it in the religion section in the A&A boards,with jokes solely based at the expense of the other groups in it isnt very right,Religion is a very touchy subject and no one can prove either side so people can be hurt very much if they see a place which is apparently neutral but allows one group of thinkers too take the piss out of them.

This has really turned into sometihng that it wasnt inteded for heh.Just making a suggestion and poof...Religion discussion on the internet is a no no :pac:

Just making a suggestion and poof...Religion discussion on the internet is a no no :pac:
    Eh, what now?!

Just pointing out on how when you mention religion it foes into a huge debate :pac:...with Extremists comming out on both sides(Not saying anyone in this thread is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Simple 3 point test:
    1. Is the subject matter relevant to the forum?
    2. Are the Moderators happy with the content?
    3. Are the forum users happy with the content?

If you can answer YES to all of teh above then the thread is in the right place. The thread is on topic (the silliness of religion is very much a topic for A&A, IMO), the posters like it (they wouldn't post there otherwise) and teh Mods are happy with it (it's been stickied).

No reason you can't start a religious humour thread in humour if you want.

Just pointing out on how when you mention religion it foes into a huge debate :pac:
    4 odd pages is hardly huge. If you'd just admit defeat we can all go back to what we doing - lurking in Feedback waiting for threads to give feedback on. ;)
    a huge debate... Extremists comming out on both sides... Not saying anyone in this thread is
    Does not compute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Dades wrote: »
    The thread exists on A&A because the majority of posters do not subscribe to the view that organised religion is so precious and fragile that it can't be subject to the satire that every other walk of life is. It started off small, then became big, and then got stickied.

There are many posts in that thread that have been deleted as bad taste, and perhaps some remain that are close to the line, but for the most part they humour is fairly innocuous. And the report post option is of course available to anyone.

That's pretty much me and most of After Hours, which is why I don't spend time there. Problem solved. :)

I don't visit the thread myself these days, but there are some genuinely funny jokes there. Obviously there are some 'jokes' where humour isn't really the main intent, it's really more about sinking the knife in and giving it a good twist. I wouldn't have much time for these or the same members who always seem to post them, and that's why I stay out. No doubt Dades will keep things in order.

Advertisement