Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Duffy Diet Coke Ad

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

meh doesnt bother me. away with her i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

her voice is terrible in it , imo ... very whingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wanda

pinksoir wrote: »
    Pretty sickening that a label such as Rough Trade would allow something like this lameness to go ahead...

Also, the making of (shudder):

+1 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

emo!! wrote: »
    her voice is terrible in it , imo ... very whingy

Yeah, I thought the same. :confused:
    Doesn't make me rage as much as pinksoir. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 benjyboo

It's like the music was sped up or something and she sounds slightly chipmunkyish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It's awful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I cringe everytime that ad comes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

robz18 wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought the same. :confused:
    Doesn't make me rage as much as pinksoir. :p
    I'm not raging. I just think it's a bit weird that a label such as Rough Trade would back this. Also, her voice does sound like some sort of demented child. I thought she was actually an alright singer before I saw that ad.

The sickening part is the brainwashed ad executives in the second video. They should mostly die off. Mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Terrible ad - not a bad voice usually (although not my cup of tea), but she sounds awful in this ad.

By the way, Duffy is about as Alternative/Indie as Westlife. Why start this thread here?

Mr E wrote: »
    Terrible ad - not a bad voice usually (although not my cup of tea), but she sounds awful in this ad.

By the way, Duffy is about as Alternative/Indie as Westlife. Why start this thread here?
    I knew someone would say this.

But the fact of the matter is she is on Rough Trade, the label that pretty much started the independent music scene in England. You can't really get much more Indie than being on an independent record label. In fact, a lot of bands that pop up on this forum are far less Indie than Duffy on account of the fact that they are on major labels. The antithesis of Indie.

She is popular though, but popularity doesn't negate being on an independent. Also, the guy she works with, Bernard Butler, ex-Suede, lends a certain credibility to her work. At least until this fiasco.

I wouldn't have lumped her into the same group as Westlife. And neither did the people at Rough Trade Records evidently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

duffy is signed by rough trade? :eek: damn. I didn't know that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

She's pretty damn hot but she looks like a botoxed mannequin in this ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I really hate the ad- can't stand it when it comes on- her voice is far too high pitched for my liking, doesn't suit her and she doesn't look good on that bike! no...no..no...no

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

She sounds awful in the ad, but then it's only Duffy.

Nothing compared to Iggy Pop prostituting himself to sell car insurance for a company that doesn't even insure musicians. Shameful.

She sounds awful in the ad, but then it's only Duffy.

Nothing compared to Iggy Pop prostituting himself to sell car insurance for a company that doesn't even insure musicians. Shameful.
    Actually, he's selling 'time'. Apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Duffy is on Rough Trade. WTF????

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

She needs to lower that saddle.
    And she sounds like that f*cking chicken in the ringtone ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

When i hear her sing, i want to impale her throat on a really sharp spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Anto McC wrote: »
    When i hear her sing, i want to impale her throat on a really sharp spike.

Here here.
    Her voice makes my ears bleed. I really don't know how anyone can enjoy listening to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

I'm sure Rough Trade are fairly sickened by the amount of "fans" of their label download their music without paying for it. That type of stuff is sickening because people are losing their jobs because of it, not some product placement kripes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I don't think Duffy is actually on Rough Trade Records. She's just managed by a part owner of Rough Trade.

As far as I know, she's on A&R or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Here here.
    Her voice makes my ears bleed. I really don't know how anyone can enjoy listening to it!

Anyone else tired of celebrities promoting products that aren't exactly good for you?

Seriously, I think it has a very negative impact on the market they're aimed at (mainly teenage girls).

Diet Coke and KitKat sensations come to mind...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Eh as far as i know duffy is not on rough trade. And has never been on it.

Wikipedia have her on: A&M, Polydor, Mercury.

Also the classical definition of indie as being signed to an independent label doesn't really work anymore. As much as anyone of us would like it too.

Duffy is pop. And still alot more indie than some of the bands in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

..... and she stole a bike ...

lordgoat wrote: »
    Eh as far as i know duffy is not on rough trade. And has never been on it.

Wikipedia have her on: A&M, Polydor, Mercury.

Also the classical definition of indie as being signed to an independent label doesn't really work anymore. As much as anyone of us would like it too.

Duffy is pop. And still alot more indie than some of the bands in this forum.
    Actually, you're right. Rough Trade did give her a development deal though, and she is managed by Rough Trade Management...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

pinksoir wrote: »
    Actually, you're right. Rough Trade did give her a development deal though, and she is managed by Rough Trade Management...

That's hilarious, so it's like eh, we'll manage you and make money from you but we sure as hell ain't putting you on our label?

lordgoat wrote: »
    That's hilarious, so it's like eh, we'll manage you and make money from you but we sure as hell ain't putting you on our label?
    Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous.

But I suppose a bigger American label could afford her much more exposure States-wise.

I have a lot of time for Rough Trade though. They have a very good, varied roster. Plus it looks like, from what I can gather, they only manage four acts - Jarvis Cocker, Pulp, Duffy and Scritti Politti.

So I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt re: Duffy. Perhaps their angle with her is less sinister and they really are trying to do what's best for the artist.

Or maybe it's somewhere in the middle, ie. they are testing themselves, with an act they believe in, to see how successful a management team they can be. They've already become a successful record shop and world-renowned indie label, perhaps they want to see if they can manage a world-conquering act.

Advertisement