Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "Jesus howl" a Kerry expression?

Options
  • 15-03-2009 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭

An uncle of mine uses that expression a lot. He throws into conversation here and there. And my brother works with a Kerry man who also uses the expression.

But I've never heard anyone else use it. Is it just a few Kerry folk who say it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Never heard of it before,in what context is it used?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I have honest to God never heard that phrase before? Give us a scenario with the words in a sentence for us, you've got me curious about it now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭AKK

From Kerry and never heard it before either. But Jesus howl I like it! :D

Did I use it right.....?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

The mystery grows!

I notice he says it sometimes when he hears something funny or peculiar. And other times when there's a lull in the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I actually asked a few people but the closest we came to your phrase was " howled yer wist" :D That probably doesn't help you much but it sure got us laughing here when thinking of other Kerry sayings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i've never heard it either - maybe its more localised than the whole county? perhaps a certain town or area?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Could it be more emphatic use of 'Jesus Wept' ? The expression 'howling' is used for loud weeping by some people.
    Also, 'Jesus Wept' is the shortest verse in the Bible, and its use has been regarded as blasphemous by some. Certainly when the famous BBC broadcaster Richard Dimbleby used it when he thought his microphone had failed (it hadn't !) he was subjected to a hail of complaints. This was in 1965, though . . .
    But I've never heard this expression used here in Kerry.

Advertisement