Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

line stats

Options
  • 15-03-2009 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭

what would be considered good stats
    i'm with eircom on the 7.6mb package
    my stats are

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168
    SN Margin (dB) 8.70
    Line Attenuation (dB) 22.50
    CRC Errors 90

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Download a program called ROuterstats Lite and monitor your Signal to Noise ratio. 8.7 is far too low....it should be well over 11 and preferably over 15.

E

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

guil wrote: »
    what would be considered good stats
    i'm with eircom on the 7.6mb package
    my stats are

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168
    SN Margin (dB) 8.70
    Line Attenuation (dB) 22.50
    CRC Errors 90

Have you checked your internal wiring? How far would you be from the exchange?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

that snr is with it connected to the master socket with nothin else connected, how can i check how far i am from the exchange

i dont get any disconnects but slow speeds sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Very roughly (and i mean VERY), your attenuation times 250 will give you your distance from the exchange in feet.

So.... 22.5 x 250 = 5625 = 1.065 miles or about 1.7km.

It sounds to me like you are close enough to the exchange to be able to get speeds at the higher end of the scale, but your problem is your noise figure.

Have you had your line checked by Eircom? If not, why not? :-)

A small white lie might be in order here....tell them that you've had the odd voice call disconnect.....

E

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The SNR is a little low for that line with 22dB attenuation. Did you recheck it to get an average? Any connections I've seen would have their signal margin fluctuate by up to 4dB simply by hitting the F5 button on the stats page.

For the record, the distance formula as given by eircom is the attenuation in dB divided by 12 to get the line distance in km. This is for the most common gauge of wire on the eircom network, with no problems on the line. Giving 1.8km in your case, an insignificant difference from the last poster.

The problem is that the modem's measure of attenuation is not so accurate, especially in the case of long lines. I'm told my attenuation is 78dB yet the modem reports 53dB. I believe the figure eircom gave me, as dividing it by 12 would give me the exact distance as the cable runs from me to the exchange.

But sure all this doesn't matter. Eircom aren't going to do a think about that line as it's basically working perfectly. If there are no disconnects, I wouldn't worry about it. Occasional slow speeds are probably contention issues in the evenings.

• Advertisement

checked it again and its between 8.6-12 with each refresh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Theres nothing wrong with your line stats. Your just using ADSL1 as your likely connected to an ADSL1 only exchange.

Your connecting at the highest speed your line is capable of while keeping the SN margin at ~9db (which is likely the target SNR figure on your DSL profile). Your CRC error are also tiny.

I'd look elsewhere for your problem (assuming your line stats remain consistent during your slowdown periods), do you connect your pc/laptop via wireless? Are there other people using the line (possibly maxing your upload...), or do you sometimes use your p2p software without rate limiting the upstream?

i dont really have a problem just thought the snr was a bit low
    the odd time its a bit slow but i'm not too worried about that once id doesnt get ott

Advertisement