Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 1/2 year old dribbling

Options
  • 15-03-2009 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hello,

My son is dribbling like a lunatic and it is driving me demented. I would have thought he would have grown out of it - is it normal or what can I do ?

I don't want to put him back in bibs.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

The dribbling drives me mad too. These days I put his bib inside his clothes to keep him dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pmulv

Our three year old had the same problem. We explained to him that he should suck the saliva back in and it seems to have worked.
    But yes it is frustrating.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Funnily enough my wife was watching one of the daytime programs that follows real life doctors. Somebody had sent in a question regarding a similar problem and the doctor said that it can be a result of underdeveloped muscles to keep it in. I think they recommended some exercises to sort it, but can't be sure.

Either way tho', it is an actual condition which can be sorted. I'm sure if you went to your own GP, they would be able to sort something for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

AFAIK, there is a set of molars that kids get when they are about 4, this could contribute to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭face2face

We had the same problem with our midddle son. Consulted our GP and it is to do with the development of the nervous system and all children develop at a different rate. I despaired of him ever having a dry chin and it seemed to hit a peak at around 3.5 yrs. He is almost 5 now and no dribbles for about a year. Time will sort it out. I used to put a bib under his top and also found Bepanthan good for the sore chin. HTH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

Ah drives me mad too! Our eldest son could have dribbled for Ireland when he was small and still sometimes does the odd dribble now and then - he is 8!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

delly wrote: »
    Funnily enough my wife was watching one of the daytime programs that follows real life doctors. Somebody had sent in a question regarding a similar problem and the doctor said that it can be a result of underdeveloped muscles to keep it in. I think they recommended some exercises to sort it, but can't be sure.

Either way tho', it is an actual condition which can be sorted. I'm sure if you went to your own GP, they would be able to sort something for you.
    I would agree with this. My niece has dispraxia which means her muscles are poorly underdeveloped. She had the same problem (not saying its a sign of it or anything) they used a rubber tube and got her to chew on it to strengthen the jaw muscles. They come in various sizes and strengths.

http://www.onhealthcare.ie/onhealthcare/Main/Dysphagia_ChewyTubes01.htm
    here's what they look like. It really helped, she has all but stopped the dribbles now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Hi guys, my nephew was the same and it was due to him being tongue-tied

Advertisement