Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urgent problem! USB noise constant?? Presentationsettings.exe?? Messed up!!

• 15-03-2009 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hey, I hope anyone can help me with this, it's driving me insane.

I have a laptop, Dell Latitute D630 (Vista) since last summer. It has been working fine. I was using it this morning, and all was fine. I shut it down. A few hours later, I turned it back on and for some reason when I logged on, the USB noise (the noise Windows makes when you connect/disconnect a USB cable) is constant. It won't stop. It makes the connect noise, followed by the disconnect noise, followed by the connect noise, and so on. And when I say it's constant, I mean literally constant. There are absolutely no USB or any other devices connected to the laptop.

So I ran Task Manager to see what was happening. In Task Manager Processes, the following process is constantly disappearing and re-appearing along with the USB noise:

"Presentationsettings.exe - Microsoft Mobile PC Presentation Adaptability Client"

Whenever I open up the Start Menu, it shuts instantly. There is some program starting and stopping constantly and I don't know what it is or what's going on.

I have googled and googled and even searched the microsoft support site, but to no avail.

I have performed System Restore, but the problem is still the same.

Also, this only happens on the administrator desktop. The Guest desktop is fine.

I've checked System Configuration, and there is nothing out of the ordinary starting up there.

Can anyone help me with this?? The laptop is next to unusable at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭M@21

Check to see if the Presentation option is turned on in "Windows Mobility Center"
    Try checking in "Network and Sharing Center" then down on the bottom left hand corner you will see "Windows Mobile Device Center".
    See if turning off the USB or Bluetooth options helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I would go with the Windows Mobile Device Settings myself.

Having a similar problem after a recent update but have not tracked down the problem yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

general
    check what folder it is in / properties of the file to

then you can use msconfig to turn off the likely suspects and reboot to see it that is the fix

any chance you have a dodgy cable or usb port that being knocked / moved ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Hey lads thanks for all your advice. I will look into all of it but i've just noticed something else....

In Windows Mobility Center, in the "External Display" part, it says "No Display Connected" then it changes to "Display Connected" then "No Display Connected" and so on. It changes every time the USB signal noise beeps!

I had it connected to an external screen yesterday.

This have any significance?

Advertisement