Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for test... Please help!

• 15-03-2009 7:11pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have my test in 2 weeks. I have some lessons lined up but I need to practice in the meantime as I have not been on the bike the last few months...

I'm wondering can anyone give me any advice if they have passed their test?

We all get into bad habits and forget to do certain things. I'd almost like to be able to study the procedure of what you have to do in each situation to get it straight in my head so its easier to remember everything when on the bike etc.

Any pointers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Go buy "The Police Rider's Handbook to Better Motorcycling". There's a wealth of good knowledge, for your general riding and of course those skills will help you pass your test. There's a DVD out by the DSA, it's english anyway that's very good also.

I haven't passed my test, but from reading - always make sure you use your lifesaver when moving out, turning or changing lanes. Left foot down at the lights same for stop signs (always stop, foot down, look, mirrors, move off for stop signs even if you see the way is clear coming up to it).

I'm sure there is plenty more. Good luck mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I got that book and when I told my pretest instructor (Dave Lyons) he told me to forget about it for the duration of the test! He said it's a great book that will help keep you out of trouble in the real world but the test was quite unrealistic and there's a knack to passing it.

Two pointers: On standard 4 arm mini-roundabouts you only need to signal right if taking the 3rd exit-no need to signal left when exiting roundabout.

Do NOT slow down if the tester (who drives a car :rolleyes:) loses eye contact with you. You will fail for failing to maintain progress. Just carry on. If you lose him completely (as I did), stop and turn around and look for him. The radios are rubbish and the range is limited and it's only one way-you can't speak back to the tester!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Exagerate your use of mirrors, let the tester see you move your head when looking left and right; use your indicators and left foot down, brake light lit with right foot when stopped etc.

Look the part ie wear a hi-vis bib, gloves, boots, wash your bike and make sure all your lights work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Dan Sanchez

Do a pretest or two, thats the best way to brush up.
    If you want give Austin a ring on 0872679194, hes a good instructor, Ive just done some lessons with him in Tallagh.

Advertisement