Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused refund in Tesco

Options
  • 15-03-2009 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I'd say most people who do shop in Tesco are aware of the "no quibble" gurantee. If you are overcharged then you get a full refund and your money back.
    Customer leaves happy, the store get feedback on their price labels for a sake of a few euro, everyone wins!

But I was refused today.
    It isn't serious and I'm certainly not here moaning about a euro or two but I'm more interested in was I right or wrong here. So don't flame me! :)

Glenisk yoghurt, 69c for 150gm. That's why the price display showed, that's what my receipt showed and I was certainly charged 69c.

But in the last month or two, Glenisk reduced their cartons to 125g.
    So I paid 69c for a package that was smaller then I thought was I getting.
    Nicely asked customer service for my no quibble refund but I was refused as the price was still 69c.
    I pointed out I thought I was getting 150gm but I now getting less, but no chance and I couldn't get a refund. So be it, I left it at that.

Once again, I'm not here complaining about a tiny 25gm of yoghurt but was I overcharged?
    I'm 100% certain I was but I failed to convince their staff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Not sure but the company changed their quantity and gave it to the suppliers who haven't updated yet... you knew the volume of the container when purchasing so I don't think you have a leg to stand on really.

I could (and possibly might) be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

More a moral issue ....

They do not want to be seen increasing prices presently, so are selling less product for same price (20% increase)

Sharp practice at best, and applaud you for raising it with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Brimmy wrote: »
    you knew the volume of the container when purchasing so I don't think you have a leg to stand on really.

I found out after purchasing, clearly stated in my post :)
    I do check my receipt and naturally, yoghurt are the last thing I put in my sports bag so that's I noticed.

Then I did a search here and someone had a thread on Glenisk reducing their cartons.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yet another case of a customer thinking they know the law/policy.

The policy is:
    No Quibble Policy

Our "No Quibble Policy" is our way of showing customers that we always charge the right prices in our stores. It states that: "in the unlikely event of you being charged a price at the checkouts that is higher that the price mounted on the display, we will give you that item absolutely free and without quibble".

As you paid EXACTLY what was on the shelf then they didn't do anything wrong and didn't have to refund you a penny, doesn't matter if the manufactorer has changed its weight (nothing to do with Tesco) you still paid what Tesco advertised...tesco completed their side of the contract when you paid them the money.

You have nothing to stand on

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yet another case of a customer thinking they know the law/policy.

As I stated twice in my first post, I am not here looking for ways to get at Tesco and start quoting consumer law.
    I am certainly not a poster who goes around saying "I know my rights!" and I understand the no quibble gurantee from Tesco is an extra offer.

Let me state it again:
    On the Tesco shelf price label its shows:
    Glenlisk, 1 x 150gm, 4.60 per kg, 69c
    That 4.60 thing is a guess, it's around that anyway

I picked this up, bought it and then wondered why the carton was 125gm.

It's ok for Tesco to put 150 grammes at 69c on a price label but the product is 125grammes at 69c?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The had a price up for a 150 gram tub, you purchased a 125 gram tub.

It's pretty much a closed case, you bought something else.

What you could complain about is that they don't have a price displayed for the 125 gram tub, which is AFAIK illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mikemac wrote: »
    As I stated twice in my first post, I am no here looking for ways to get at Tesco and start quoting consumer law.
    I am certainly not a poster who go around saying "I know my rights!" and I understand the no quibble gurantee from Tesco is an extra offer.

Let me state it again.
    On the Tesco shelf price label its shows:
    Glenlisk, 1 x 150gm, 4.60 per kg, 69c
    That 4.60 thing is a guess, it's around that anyway

I picked this up, bought it and then wondered why the carton was 125gm.

It's ok for Tesco to put 150 grammes at 69c on a price label the product is 125grammes at 69c?

Perhaps Tesco got stitched up by the the yoghurt manufacturer? Perhaps you should take it up with Tesco head-office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

It sounds to me like you've a valid complaint.

Label gave price for a particular measure and you were charged same price for a lesser amount.

It probably isn't worth arguing the toss but I think you are right.

You didn't get what you were charged for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I dont usually defend tesco , but in this case its prob the fault of the manufacturer, they should have introduced a new barcode for the smaller tub , but prob used the same barcode for the new size.

the manufacters do this all the time, they put price stickers on a product saying 20c off put dont highlight this to the retailer properly or update their product file in time and land the retailer in the crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 grangeglens

Shelflife wrote: »
    I dont usually defend tesco , but in this case its prob the fault of the manufacturer, they should have introduced a new barcode for the smaller tub , but prob used the same barcode for the new size.

i work in another retailer, glensik did change there barcode's for the new size yogurts maybe someone in the scanning dept just copied the old details and never noticed the size change

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

FFS, we're talking about 11.5 cents here, that's how much you were overcharged. And you actually attempted to get a refund because of this? I would have laughed in your face tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

It's ok for Tesco to put 150 grammes at 69c on a price label but the product is 125grammes at 69c?
    No, it's not.

However, it does appear the yogurt manufacturer reduced the size but left the price the same. The only error Tesco has made is not updating the price tag on the shelf. It was most likely an oversight and should be remedied not that you have made them aware of it.

On the Tesco no quibble refund front, Tesco did not charge a different price at the till so no refund there.

Oh, I was expecting these responses when I started the thread, hence why I posted not once, not twice but three times I was trying to clarify a point, not moan about a refund.

Tbh MagicMarker why do you post here?
    In post 10 here a few days back you ridiculed the OP with a similar post. I didn't go searching for that post, I just read that thread before posting this one.
    Got any advice to offer?

Thanks all for info anyway, cast_iron you seemed to have answer my question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Shelflife wrote: »

the manufacters do this all the time, they put price stickers on a product saying 20c off put dont highlight this to the retailer properly or update their product file in time and land the retailer in the crap.
    i would blame tesco for this as they must not pay much attention to pack sizes when ordering and accepting deliveries into stock! the manufacturer may not have informed tesco of the change in pack size but i doubt this as tesco might then return all stock and refuse to deal with that company again.

it is more likely a management descision where rather than print out new price labels showing the smaller size for the same price tesco decided to use the old labels trying to hide the increase in price and decieving their customers.

Oh, I was expecting these responses when I started the thread, hence why I posted not once, not twice but three times I was trying to clarify a point, not moan about a refund.

That's the beauty of boards, you can say it all you want, people can still point out stupidity when they see it.
    Tbh MagicMarker why do you post here?
    In post 10 here a few days back you ridiculed the OP with a similar post. I didn't go searching for that post, I just read that thread before posting this one.

Who said I was ridiculing anyone? I was merely looking for clarification.
    Got any advice to offer?

Yeah, chill out, you'll live longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

FFS, we're talking about 11.5 cents here, that's how much you were overcharged. And you actually attempted to get a refund because of this? I would have laughed in your face tbh.

Tesco no quibble policy doesnt have a minimum specified so why shouldn't anyone who is overcharged by even as little as 1c get themselves a refund and the product free.

OP If i were you i would bring the matter to the attention of the store manager, chances are they didnt even realise themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The manufacturer changed the quantity but kept the price the same. Tesco had a label up advertising the price for a 150g tub because up until recently they were that size. However, had tesco changed the label, only the quantity would have changed, not the price.

The correct price for a 125g tub is 69c. You were not overcharged

/thread :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

As long s its not my 11.5 cents......but wait my wife shops at Tesco's and the kids eat alot of a yogurt....I've been had again but seriously .....oh never mind

I agree with the Op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I found out after purchasing, clearly stated in my post

I apologize. I misread it the first time and thought that you had known this for the last two months but only sought to raise it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Bit harsh, some people are not as well off as others. You have no right to laugh at someone else especially when they are making a point based on principal regardless of whether the amount is 11.5c or 500euro.
    If you laughed in my face, I would have smacked you in yours :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Bit harsh, some people are not as well off as others. You have no right to laugh at someone else especially when they are making a point based on principal regardless of whether the amount is 11.5c or 500euro.

Surely if somebody has that many money problems and 11c is alot to them they should stick to buying own brand stuff and not branded products, don';t even waste your time comparing 11c to 500e they are on no level similar

If you laughed in my face, I would have smacked you in yours :p

Nice to see you think the :P makes violence against someone ok, I suggest you get out more :rolleyes:

Cabaal wrote: »
    Surely if somebody has that many money problems and 11c is alot to them they should stick to buying own brand stuff and not branded products, don';t even waste your time comparing 11c to 500e they are on no level similar
    Nice to see you think the :P makes violence against someone ok, I suggest you get out more :rolleyes:

The OP is talking about principal not the actual 11c hense my comparisant.

I really dont see how me getting out more has anything to do with us. You being the moderator of this site suggests to me that you spend too much time on this site therefore perhaps you should get out a little more :rolleyes:

I

If it was a matter of principle then a quick word to customer service to point out their error is sufficient. Getting your knickers in a twist over such a small amount and demanding a refund is just petit tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would not expect them to give it for free, but just offer a refund. The price per kilo was incorrect if based on this, and if you compared with other similar ones it could have appeared cheaper, so it is a real problem IMO. When buying certain items some people will mainly look at the price per kilo, you could argue that this price was wrong so, but Tesco say nothing about their price per kilo labelling, and I wonder if it does even fall under any laws.

I have a strange knack of being able to calculate price per kilo/ml, I have been doing it since I was a kid, long before the shops displayed per kilo prices on standard items. A HUGE amount of tescos "per kilo" prices are incorrect, I see this all the time, never once did I think I could get freebies over it though- and I am a savage for the freebies! I once got fish in tesco knowing was overpriced, so filled up with loads of it and got it all free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Reduced packaging has nothing to do with the price, and Tesco haven't overcharged you. You didn't deserve a refund and you are just moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The item sold and the one described on the SEL are different products, it just happens that they are the same price, which as pointed out is a 20% price rise on the old item. This is the sole responibility of Tesco and doesn't involve the supplier in any way. I'm amazed at the number of people here who think Tesco can just wash their hands of this.

MC

Ya fine I wouldn't be losing the plot, but they cant refuse a refund. Packaging wasn't opened and was returned within an acceptable time period (Didn't even leave the store!)

I agree with rubadub that you are not entitled to a freebie but you should get your money back.
    If it was a matter of principle then a quick word to customer service to point out their error is sufficient. Getting your knickers in a twist over such a small amount and demanding a refund is just petit tbh.

I really dont see how me getting out more has anything to do with us. You being the moderator of this site suggests to me that you spend too much time on this site therefore perhaps you should get out a little more :rolleyes:

I'm not a mod on this forum so I'm no different to you, your views on moderators is only dragging this thread off topic though I'd suggest you bring them to feedback as this is the norm for people that want to discuss mods in a non-mod related thread

As such I'm not even going to waste my time replying to your mindless rants on that topic.

imho somebody who bitches and moans so much over such a meaningless thing really needs to look at their life again

Ya fine I wouldn't be losing the plot, but they cant refuse a refund. Packaging wasn't opened and was returned within an acceptable time period (Didn't even leave the store!)

I agree with rubadub that you are not entitled to a freebie but you should get your money back.

It does not come under store policy though, tesco had the item on sale, it was bought the contract was completed....why should they accept it back?

If its that big an issue the OP needs to speak to customer service or send tesco a complaint, its simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    The manufacturer changed the quantity but kept the price the same. Tesco had a label up advertising the price for a 150g tub because up until recently they were that size. However, had tesco changed the label, only the quantity would have changed, not the price.

The correct price for a 125g tub is 69c. You were not overcharged

/thread :P
    so if i advertise 150g for 69cent then change the pack size to 125g but leave the price the same you are paying more per kg than advertised but that is not an overcharge?

Advertisement