Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused refund in Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Majority of stores have a change of mind returns period. Once returned as sold by the merchant. Ie not opened. I'm not debating whether it's written in their policy or not, quite frankly I dont care its still poor public relations.
    I'm a store manager myself and we have our policies but I'm allowed to over ride company policy once I think that under the circumstances it had to be done OR for the sake of 11c I wanted to save a customer!

Cabaal wrote: »
    It does not come under store policy though, tesco had the item on sale, it was bought the contract was completed....why should they accept it back?

If its that big an issue the OP needs to speak to customer service or send tesco a complaint, its simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

foggy_lad wrote: »
    so if i advertise 150g for 69cent then change the pack size to 125g but leave the price the same you are paying more per kg than advertised but that is not an overcharge?

An overcharge is where they advertise something at a certain price and you are incorrectly charged the wrong amount. Putting up the price of an item either by increasing the price or by reducing the quantity isn't called overcharging because no mistake has been made. It's just called "putting up the price".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

look, they left the old label up in error its not a decision by management (im sure they have more for doing) its a simple clerical error . if the op had that problem in my shop i would have changed it or refunded it for him because it wouldnt be worth the hassle of argueing the toss.

theres no conspiracy theory here, in a supermarket there are 1000s of labels , sometimes mistakes are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Recently I went to Tesco and went for the buy one 12 pack get another 12 pack free actimel offer, I brought them home, thought nothing of it and went to put them on the fridge. When doing this I noticed that one of the packs of 12 was 4 days out of date so I brought it back to the shop with the receipt, I explained it being out of date to the clerk and she said since it was buy one get one free I was not entitled to a full 12 pack I could only get a 4 pack because it cost the same as half a 12pack. I was livid, I would have thought that since the product was out of date I would be entitled to another 12pack!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Don't they display a price per litre alongside the barcode on the shelf? If so, divide and multiply to get the correct amount for 125ml and ask for a refund of that amount.

Read kilo for litre if the product is sold by weight.

Does this suggest they're selling broken up multi-packs separately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Wolfpawnat you were entitled to a 12 pack, as long as they still had some in stock.
    A lot of those offers are "while stocks last", but if they still had the 12 packs in stock that is what you should have received.

Don't they display a price per litre alongside the barcode on the shelf? If so, divide and multiply to get the correct amount for 125ml and ask for a refund of that amount.

This product wasn't incorrectly labelled. The label on display was for an old product that they didn't sell anymore and they hadn't got around to removing the label yet. In reality the OP had no idea what they were going to cost when he got them to the till because there was no label advertising the price of that item.

What you suggest would be no more valid than picking up one litre of milk, noticing that the per litre price of a two litre bottle was less and demanding that you pay less for your one litre bottle
    wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Recently I went to Tesco and went for the buy one 12 pack get another 12 pack free actimel offer, I brought them home, thought nothing of it and went to put them on the fridge. When doing this I noticed that one of the packs of 12 was 4 days out of date so I brought it back to the shop with the receipt, I explained it being out of date to the clerk and she said since it was buy one get one free I was not entitled to a full 12 pack I could only get a 4 pack because it cost the same as half a 12pack. I was livid, I would have thought that since the product was out of date I would be entitled to another 12pack!
    Yes you absolutely are entitled to a 12 pack. You got an offer of buy one free and one being gone off doesn't cancel that offer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You have not a leg to stand on Sorry. Your defining the product not the price and as any shop will tell you its down to the manufacturer, now if you right to the manufacturer and tell them you are not happy, they right back and say Blahhhhhhhh and we reduced the priced to tesco then you still only have tesco on MORAL grounds.They are still doing nothing wrong

Its by the same instance a shop cannot put the price up when a manufacturer gives something with 20% extra free cause it has no bearing on the product price.

I do understand you principle though and think you were right to have it out.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    This product wasn't incorrectly labelled. The label on display was for an old product that they didn't sell anymore and they hadn't got around to removing the label yet. In reality the OP had no idea what they were going to cost when he got them to the till because there was no label advertising the price of that item.

What you suggest would be no more valid than picking up one litre of milk, noticing that the per litre price of a two litre bottle was less and demanding that you pay less for your one litre bottle

Yes you absolutely are entitled to a 12 pack. You got an offer of buy one free and one being gone off doesn't cancel that offer

Hi Sam if you read consumer law the part entitled "Invitation to treat" and offer and acceptance it will explain this a bit better! Your not tech right but again morals might prevail

Hi Sam if you read consumer law the part entitled "Invitation to treat" and offer and acceptance it will explain this a bit better! Your not tech right but again morals might prevail

I know about invitation to treat. This is about an extra policy that tesco have on top of the law that means they'll refund you the full price of an item if it is priced incorrectly on the shelf. These items weren't incorrectly priced because:

1. The price for the 150g tub and the 125g tub are the same
    2. The label wasn't advertising the price of the 125g tub and so it can't be said that that it was priced incorrectly. It wasn't priced at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Perhaps Tesco got stitched up by the the yoghurt manufacturer? Perhaps you should take it up with Tesco head-office.

Tesco never lose out. They'll probably refuse to pay for the yougurts as they were different from the purchase order. They'll probably also fine the supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

FFS, we're talking about 11.5 cents here, that's how much you were overcharged. And you actually attempted to get a refund because of this? I would have laughed in your face tbh.

Last time someone did that I picked up a set of headphones and walked out with them.

They knew if I told their bosses that the staff had tried to take the piss out of me they would be in trouble.

So laugh away bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jahalpin wrote: »
    Tesco never lose out. They'll probably refuse to pay for the yougurts as they were different from the purchase order. They'll probably also fine the supplier

Goes without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Was it natural, raspberry, strawberry or vanilla?

The natural has always been 125g but the vanilla is 150g both .65c

Both packs look the same except for the picture on the lower left hand side.

Did the person check the barcode on the product with the barcode on the SEL.

http://www.glenisk.com/products/yogurts

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You have not a leg to stand on Sorry. Your defining the product not the price and as any shop will tell you its down to the manufacturer, now if you right to the manufacturer and tell them you are not happy, they right back and say Blahhhhhhhh and we reduced the priced to tesco then you still only have tesco on MORAL grounds.They are still doing nothing wrong

Its by the same instance a shop cannot put the price up when a manufacturer gives something with 20% extra free cause it has no bearing on the product price.

I do understand you principle though and think you were right to have it out.

Unless Irish law varies wildly from other countries, the manufacturer has no legal right to enforce retail prices and the retailer is entitled to raise or lower prices as they see fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 pcworldsucks

wohever started this thread needs a reality check, there are people dying by the millions every minute i n Africa and here you are moaning on the internet about been charged an extra 5 cents for a yoghurt, jesus get a grip dude.

wohever started this thread needs a reality check, there are people dying by the millions every minute i n Africa and here you are moaning on the internet about been charged an extra 5 cents for a yoghurt, jesus get a grip dude.

The subject is consumer issues not how many people died in africa cause tesco did not deliever a 50g pot instead of a 25g so I think the op is right to raise the subject in consumer issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Abstar

In fairness, the OP stated quite clearly that he wasn't interested in quibbling about his money - he was simply raising the point as a matter of interest.
    mikemac wrote: »
    But I was refused today.
    It isn't serious and I'm certainly not here moaning about a euro or two but I'm more interested in was I right or wrong here. So don't flame me! :)

Once again, I'm not here complaining about a tiny 25gm of yoghurt but was I overcharged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

OP-U have way too much time on your hands:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 scooby the dog

a friend of mine bought 3 frozen pizza,s in tesco, i double and two singles
    she forgot her shopping bag so she bought a plastic bag (against her will )and packed in the three boxes in... before she left the shop the bag burst. she went back to the checkout to get a new bag and was refused one unless she paid 22 cent for it..she left without buying one..
    she then rang tesco,s to speak to a manager and asked that the check out girl be reprimanded:mad:

• Advertisement

she forgot her shopping bag so she bought a plastic bag (against her will )and packed in the three boxes in... before she left the shop the bag burst. she went back to the checkout to get a new bag and was refused one unless she paid 22 cent for it..she left without buying one..
    she then rang tesco,s to speak to a manager and asked that the check out girl be reprimanded:mad:

Let's see. She forgot her bag so she bought a bag that was too small and not strong enough for the three boxes that she wedged in there and when it inevitably burst she wanted Tesco to give her another bag free because of her mistake?

She should have bought a bag that was adequate for the boxes.

And what do you mean by she bought the bag against her will? Did they hold her down and steal the money from her pocket? Or did she expect the staff member to break the law and risk a large fine by giving it to her for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Now to be fair, you wouldn't fit 3 pizzas in one of those crappy little bags, and even if you did they'd be just as awkward to carry as if you had them on their own with no bag! Couldn't she just have splashed out on the euro or whatever it is for a proper shopping bag ... or even carried them without a bag?! It's not the check-out girl's problem if your friend is lacking in basic spacial awareness/common sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i feel sorry for your friend,she sounds like a right cnut,who would cram 4 pizzas into 1 bag and try and blame tesco when it bursts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

delllat wrote: »
    OP-U have way too much time on your hands:rolleyes:
    Apparently so do I and of course you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

On one shopping spree err trip :) in Tescos,
    2 for 1 items charged seperately, plus few other items all charged incorrectly, I prefer the €10+ back in my pocket just keep an eye on what stuff costs, look over the receipt before you leave the shop and you can sort it there and then, if you dont want it give it back or in my case they paid me to take it away free :) well give me the money back.

I hear there are sites in the UK highlighting items you get for free, must look them up.
    If they dont change the price tag after its been highlighted once guess they deserve to have to give it away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

This fraud plain and simple, but on the basis of using their own policy to beat them....

No Quibble Policy

"higher that the price mounted on the display"

The Tesco display label contains 2 prices, the unit price and (usually in a tiny font) the cost per litre. This was clearly incorrect since the label was based on 150g size. Thus the price on the label and price you were charged were not the same.

The "no quibble guarantee" does not state unit price which is what the Tesco customer service person was claiming.

The cost per litre price mounted on the display was lower than price you were charged.

BTW don't be in any embarresed by pulling them on the mistake. Supermarkets will prosecute you if you make a mistake and don't pay for item. Dunnes in Galway prosecuted a man for stealing a 2.49 southern fried chicken drumstick!

I think they should be giving you your money back and giving you the item free.

paddy19 wrote: »
    This fraud plain and simple, but on the basis of using their own policy to beat them....

No Quibble Policy

"higher that the price mounted on the display"

The Tesco display label contains 2 prices, the unit price and (usually in a tiny font) the cost per litre. This was clearly incorrect since the label was based on 150g size. Thus the price on the label and price you were charged were not the same.

The price per litre of a 1 litre bottle of milk will be different to the price per litre on a 2 litre bottle. What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Didn't something similar happen when milk companies changed their package size from 1 pint to 1 litre. They tried to keep the same price even though the package got smaller. I remember this from a few years ago but google only throws up this link

http://www.bwmaonline.com/Metric%20Downsizing.htm

Not good to see that people don't care about these subtle price increases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

I think the original OP was dead right to complain, everyone agrees this country has become a complete rip off and if people are not going to raise these issues then things will never change.
    OP should send them off a letter pointing out they are engaging in misleading pricing saying they are claiming to sell larger portions than they actually are.
    If this wasn't a valid issue then why are retailers required to tell you the price per kg or ltr. Simply so it is clear what the consumer is being charged.
    I notice there are a lot of producers reducing their item size but keeping the same price so worth checking the small detail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

she bought a plastic bag (against her will )

Yeah, I always find that happens to me, the checkout girl grabs me by the pinky and bends it back until I can take it no more and agree to buy a plastic bag. Something should be done about this now.

Advertisement