Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brain "mass"

Options
  • 15-03-2009 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

I relative has just been diagnosed with a brain tumour - dont know if its malignent or not, dont have much details yet,, they have decided to operate and do a biopsy after its removed - is that a good sign that they are willing to operate or is it normal practice to do a biopsy first?

Would appreciate any personal or profressional thoughts!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I realise that OP was more than 2 weeks but I'll reply anyway.
    My son had brain tumour, poor little chap was only 2. 6 months on and he's making full recovery.

To me, the fact that your relative is being operated on is a very good sign. There are parts of brain that just can't be got to. A preliminary biopsy will probably be conducted during the operation and the surgeon may have a very good idea of prognosis once operation is over.

I can't offer anything more. I'm sure no 2 cases a like.
    I found the surgeon to be very upfront and answered all our questions, so direct these questions towards surgeon. They do go to pains to spell out the risks, and one can get lost focusing on these, but my son is testament of the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

thanks for the reply - they operated and managed to take out most of it as its located at the front of the brain and they lasered off what they could. Hes at home now so its wait and see.

Im so sorry to hear your little fella had to go through that but kids are so much stronger then we are:)

Advertisement